The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Hard chargers (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Hard chargers
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 05:54 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
My main calling partner, and I have taken out two newbies lately. Both are from back east and have never hunted coyotes. One was very muzzle conscious, and the other was not so good at it.

BTW: these two newbies work for the New Flyer coach company. The city of Phoenix is experiencing some cracking frame issues where the wheel chair ramp is cracking on a certain model New Flyer body. So they are out here fixing these busses and are paid by New Flyer.

This one guy was a nice enough guy, but I just don't want to be around him at all when he is handling a gun. He was walking ahead of me with a 12 ga pointing forward right at my partner. I told him to point it another direction. So what does he do, he throws the gun over his shoulder pointing the muzzle behind him straight towards ME. He just doesn't get it.

I never has happen to me, and I don't want to experience a shot at a coyote that is only a few feet from me by a partner. It has happened to some of the guys in my club, PVCI. PVCI promotes hand calling only. They don't condone the use of electronic calls. However, I want the coyote coming in to the ecaller 50 ft from me when I have a newbie with me. As we all know: You must know your partners location.

I've experienced one AD that came within a few feet of me. A friend of mine kept a loaded gun behind his seat. His daughter was inside the truck moving things around and it went off. I was just a few feet from the bullet's path. That was close enough.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 09:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's scary, az. Some of these guys are untrainable, like a dog that holds its tail straight up in the air. Hard headed, don't get it and never will. Turns me off to hunting with newbes altogether. If you camo is new, I'm suspicious. That's what I liked about AR Shaw when I first met him at one of the campouts. His coveralls were warn out, that's gotta mean something? Me, on the other hand, I usually match the hatch. I usually have four sets of mix and match camo and not particularly well used either. Be cautious around me, I could be a barrel waiver. (hmm? that ain't right, is it?)

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 11:27 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
For a while I was convinced that the "they always stop" mantra was fairly true. I would try everything I could to get a going-away coyote to stop. Bark, howl, hurt pup, distress. After a while I decided that instead of acting like a jackass and hoping they would stop, I would spend all of that time settling in behind the scope and making a quality running shot when I was comfortable. This resulted in three scenarios. 1) I would take a running shot I felt comfortable with. 2) They would stop on there own and I would be ready to take a standing shot. and 3) I would not get a good shot so they either disappeared or came back into range if I called them back.

It seemed like I started killing more coyotes doing this than waiting for them to stop.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 12:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't argue with those sentiments!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tawnoper
Knows what it's all about
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 01:22 PM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
As a kid growing up my dad would quite often take my brother and I out to the dez for a day of shooting jackrabbits. It was and still is one of my favorite ways to spend a day with a rifle. I usually carried a .223 or a hornet cause I could stuff more ammo in my pockets then I could carrying my 6mm. Most of our shots were jump shot jacks and almost always off hand...actually on days where there were tons of em around we'd start saying stuff like "they gotta be moving" or "if they are sitting still the shots gotta be at least a 100 yards". Using a shotgun was out of the question...that was like cheating. With enough practice you start getting pretty good at hitting moving ones...it also teaches you to pick up the critter real quick in the scope. Usually you throw the rifle up to a full sight picture and the crosshairs about on target.

Anyway, once I started really going out and calling coyotes it seemed I shot a lot of them moving. Probably 4 out of 10 or so. Actually a 75yd loping coyote almost seemed tough to miss after shooting jacks all the time cause the coyote seemed huge (although I did miss my share of chip shots). It wasn't until almost 20 years later that I got a computer and found all the hunting sites that I realized I was doing it wrong all these years...all I needed to do was "woof" or "bark" and they would stop. haha :)I know it works sometimes...but not always. I will say I always start laughing when I watch a show where they maybe call in a couple coyotes, or maybe miss one... and after the first shot (once the coyote is really motoring) everyone starts hooting and hollering at it trying to get it to stop.

For the past 3-4 years I've been using an e-caller and have noticed it definitely makes for some easier shots...although I still seem to take quite a few moving.

Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 05:33 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the whole thread and still have no answer for you Leonard. Mine all ways stop, all ways. Except for the ones that keep moving and I haven't figured out how to stop them.
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters