The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Hard chargers (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Hard chargers
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 07:43 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree for persistent hard chargers I would say a scattergun would be the best tool for the job.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 08:01 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,
It is apparent that you have not been using enough AJ to saturate the perimeter of your calling location.
When used properly, coyoteeeees will stop turn sideways and lick the sticky goodness from their paws.

Or you can get a machine gun and a small dog.

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 08:47 AM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, AJ on the perimeter is the solution. Use the mister as well. Be sure to spray some on your hands and feet, especially the bottoms of your boots before you get in your truck, etc.

[ February 26, 2010, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
predatorhunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 09:11 AM      Profile for predatorhunter   Email predatorhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Around here it's all small fields surrounded by thick woods so the longest distance you can see one here is around 200yds. and usually more like 150yds. If one charges in and don't stop when I lip squeek I take the shot. Here they either lope in and stop or charge in. For the ones that come in lopeing in I'll let them get as close as they will.The trouble with hard chargers here is if you don't shoot him quick, he'll either run almost over you or catch your scent and get to the woods before you can get on him; that's why I'll only squeek once. I use the estrus chirp pretty often during the mating season here with good results in the woods Tom64 but, haven't had much luck in open areas.

--------------------
In efforts to conserve electricity,the light at the end of the tunnel has now been turned off!

Posts: 76 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 10:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
LB,
It is apparent that you have not been using enough AJ to saturate the perimeter of your calling location.
When used properly, coyoteeeees will stop turn sideways and lick the sticky goodness from their paws.

Or you can get a machine gun and a small dog.

Thank you for being serious, Kelly, and I'm glad you put your finger on the problem for me! I would normally dribble Aunt Jemima's to and from the speaker placement location, but that only worked in the afternoon. I kept the bottle in my shorts, to warm it up, as you do, but it fell down my leg all the time. Don't think he rest of us didn't notice, like you were er, "packing", at the campout a couple months ago? Must have a special holster in there, eh, kinda like the underwear bomber? Whatever it takes, eh?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 10:54 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If within range I would rather get the job done than half done and wacth them run off And not be able to recover them.
Thats kinda the reason I dislike shotguns. There effective range is always stretched, resulting in crippled run offs. Hell, even inside the effective range(100 yrds according to PM standards) a less than bangflop hit is common, again resulting in a run off.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 11:36 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok a serious post.
Most coyotes here close to home can be handled like G suggested. Mute the call when you see them and give em just enough to get them where you want them.

When hunting NM (out west for me) I think a true half the coyotes could be killed with a shotgun. I had rather use a rifle, so if they are coming straight in, I let them come and shoot them with the rifle. If they are at an angle I do the best I can to get them stopped by barking or killed before they get to the call or downwind.

I do plan on loading a challenge howl as one of my presets and experiment with that. That might freeze them or make them hit another gear depending on the coyote.
Got to try it, but it is a thought.

PS LB at the campout, that wernt no AJ in my draws….too many ants still out in October.

Stay after them
Kelly

tawnoper
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 11:40 AM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually shoot when they give me a decent shot. I know, not too scientific.
Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 11:48 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
another thought is the ones I call drive bys. Seems to happen on at least one stand when hunting out west. Doesn't seem to happen around here.
These are coyotes that come loping/running by at around 50 yards out. They act like they want to take a look, but aren't hard charging the call.
These are the ones that piss me off.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 12:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
DANG! Then, what was it? Not that I give a shit, one way or the other.....

Anyway, back to serious. I should mention, females, females, females! Most appeared unbred, and I might conclude that alpha's and most other males were preoccupied.

Never seen such a lopsided percentage before? (edit) Of course, I seldom hunt this late in the season?

Had one animal look at me in response to a bark, but never slowed down, and kept running right at the caller. This is unusual, I think?

What the hell do I have to do; maybe we were transported to Pandora in 3D digital?

Good hunting. LB

[ February 26, 2010, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 12:12 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
We usually say those ones "buzzed the tower".

===================================
Hey, this isn't a trick question, ya bunch of pusses! Seriously, how far do you get them run before you start doing something about it? Do you count on them checking up? But, what if they don't?
====================================

Well... One thing, for sure, is I do not count on them checking up. By definition, a "hard charger" is a coyote I don't expect to stop. I've already muted the call and he hasn't slowed down.

Running straight at me, I just let them come until the rifle goes off. Situations like that, the shot really is almost subconscious. Just track them in the scope and let the shot happen. That might be anywhere from 30 yards to maybe 120 yards out or so. I don't worry about the exact distance. Coyotes running straight at me are usually dead coyotes.

Coming at an angle, I bark or yell as soon as it occurs to me that things are about to go haywire. It's not going to stop a hard charger, but it sometimes gets them to adjust their direction a bit to come more straight at me.

If they keep coming at an angle, again, I just track them in the scope and hope to see a reason to complete the trigger press. Often as not though, on a hard charger coming at an angle, I'm NOT going to see a sight picture I like. So one of two things happens, I either take an ill advised shot, which is probably a miss, or I let them come all the way and start leaving. And start getting myself ready for a long "last look" shot, if it happens. Which, is a higher percentage play, for me, my typical terrain. Often I'm able to get prone and it's not terribly uncommon for even a hard charger that hasn't been shot at, to stop 300, 400 yards out and take one last look. I "usually" make those shots. Takes patiences and discipline though and some days I just don't have much of that.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 12:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you have the idea, Dave. The problem was (usually) the caller was not lined up with me and 40/50 yards out, on average; not coming to me; angles, angles, angles! But your attitude is just like mine. This terrain was not smooth so the tracking wasn't easy, on the way out. The only advantage was that I usually had an elevated position.

Them suckers wouldn't stop, for shit! What is your most effective solution for stopping a hard charger? Anybody? You don't want to depend on trick shots all day long.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 12:38 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Lariat rope?

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 01:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If somebody suggested a machinegun, I'd deserve it......<sigh>

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 01:33 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
If KOKO could only post a picture....
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 01:48 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
If you used CD Quality sounds on your e-caller they'll stop....they always do, promise. If you use 24bit sounds, they'll stop broadside everytime.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 02:02 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here...if theyre coming, let em come, shoot when theyre close, no biggie? I think to many people panic when trying to stop em instead of just pulling the trigger.

Good time to talk about learning to shoot with both eyes open and "shotgunning" a rifle, as in learning to shoot a rifle close up and on running shots close up?

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 02:21 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 02:30 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly;
I'm working on it.................... [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 02:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the sound of this? What are youse guys planning? [Smile]

As usual TimBo, not much help, but thanks anyway! [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 02:57 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
This is way simpler than you guys are making it out to be. If you are sitting on a stand then just stand up real fast, and if you are already standing on the stand then just sit down real fast. Either is guaranteed to either stop the coyote or change its direction. [Big Grin]

But seriously, I just shoot them. A coyote, even at a slight angle coming in isn't that tough of target inside 80 yards or so. Never lead off of them and you will usually at least knock them down. It's not a job for a 17, but I'm not thinking you'd be caught in the hills with one of them anyway LB.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 03:27 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul;
Y'all got mail, son. [Big Grin]

Leonard;
We're being good. Honest 1njun. We're just exchanging coyote backstrap recipes. Honest. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 05:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No Cal. I didn't say it baffled me and they all got away. I'm just asking for input from you guys that have a deserved reputation as experience serious coyote hunters. I thought we might get a conversation going that might prove useful for guys like Tim. I agree that it is generally better to dump them while coming in, if possible.

Maybe I'm making it out to be harder than it is, but this was damned near every one for four days, some weren't pretty. (see example)

Good hunting. LB

-

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 06:41 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee! Thanks Leonard...

You should maybe back off on the powder a bit. [Razz]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 07:22 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Leonard. You're looking pretty flaco - looking good man!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters