The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Ruger LC.380 / talk me out of it

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ruger LC.380 / talk me out of it
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2014 09:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
've been considering getting an LC.380 for a while now.
Any reason not too ??
Any problem shooting it left handed ??
Thanx.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2014 10:48 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo, what amount of dough are you looking to spend? Is it for concealed carry or just a fun gun? Just an FYI but a neighbor recently purchased a new Ruger LCR (Revolver) in 38 Spl. She was test firing it one day w/std 38spl factory ammo and the piece of shit came apart in her hand!!! I am not impressed with the piss poor quality of the LCR revolver. If you go with the 380, regardless of brand don't waste your time with Hollow points for self protrction, they are poor performers (80ish gr bullet @ 900fps OR LESS. I would recommend a 22LR if you like the platform of the Ruger (if they offer one)
or a S&W "J" Frame in 38Spl, loaded with +P ammo, it is a giant leap over the 380.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 24, 2014 08:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That didn't take long.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2014 08:57 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
As El Bee would say; `Money's no object`, but in my case I have a ton of Cabela's Points built up that would cover the cost of gun, ammo & holster.
It will be for concealed carry and an upgrade from the .22 Derringer that I carry now.
I want something small enough that it actually gets carried regularly. A 1911 would be great in time of need but too big for day in / day out carry. The .22 Derringer is always with me, but let's face it.............it's a two shot .22.
I'm open to suggestions.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2014 10:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the man says, a small, concealable J frame 38Special is one consideration.

Until my daughter talked me out of it, I was very happily carrying a S&W Mod. 36 Lady Smith 5 shot. Loaded with 125 gr. XTPs and a full case of H110, five shots could ruin most anyone's day.

What I have been using in the same capacity as you with your derringer is my little Seecamp in 32ACP. It really is the same size as the derringer, however you view 32ACP, it does have 6 shots. It's also available in 380, if you can find one?

I sure as hell wish I had made the move years ago, no waiting period, for one thing. Fewer Liberals, for another.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS wait and see though; CA trends tend to bleed east.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2014 01:23 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
for a tiny carry gun I like my Beretta #21, 22LR. works very well, can hit a can at 20 feet, has options and is safe. fits in my shirt pocket.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2014 06:11 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
The Berretta 21 is a fine choice for a true pocket carry gun. I used to carry one in my back pocket. It was more accurate than it had a right to be and reliable.

J frame 38...hint

Shield ain't a bad choice either. I just wasn't impressed by handling the Ruger. Though I didn't shoot it.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters