The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Can we have a serious discussion about shotguns for coyotes? (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Can we have a serious discussion about shotguns for coyotes?
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2012 08:10 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. And after you remove a barrel from the freezer the outside is going to warm up faster than the inside and hopefully enough he can remove the choke..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2012 08:14 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom.

Various metals expand and contract differently. I can understand how freezing an action with a stuck case would work. Brass cartridge...steel chamber.

However, doing the same thing with a steel choke tube and steel barrel would not deliver the same results.

Heating the outside of the barrel would make the barrel threads hotter than the choke tube threads causing them to expand more rapidly allowing the removal of the tube.

I now await Tim's post proving me wrong.

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2012 08:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Randy. I don't have to,its up to DiYi...

Question; How do you know its a steel choke in DiYi shotgun. Chokes are made from all kinds of material...

[ April 14, 2012, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2012 09:05 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a wild ass guess, but I'm betting it's harder than brass.
Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2012 05:08 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen,
Sorry if I've started arguments here.Lots of good ideas here that I'm sure a normal white guy could have/would have used by now to solve this lil problem of mine.Sadly I've never been that guy nor have I ever found a tool that fit my hands.I've tried some of the ideas w/out success but put the barrel in the freezer yesterday and despite concern over "heat expands/cold contracts",will leave it today then try again and see what happens.If not,I intend to soak it a few hours in my home brewed 'liquid wrench' and call in my nearest neighbor who basically keeps my tractor and every other piece of equipment on my farm going in exchange for leaving his combine and assorted equipment in my sheds.(and for taking his and other neighbor kids hunting etc)If he can't fix it,I'll find a gunsmith somewhere.In the 10 yrs I've lived here now I've yet to see an 'equipment' problem this neighbor can't handle so my odds there are good.
In hindsight I should have called him in earlier but all this time I've had him and my other neighbors fooled thinking there was one area(guns/hunting gear)I was proficient and knowledgeable in so was hesitant.
Reviewing Cdogs posts on the weather makes one realize how small a problem I've got.Hope he and all in those areas are fine.
Thanks again for the help and I'll update-one way or the other.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2012 11:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to point out, and protest, that Tom stole my suggestion, and credit, of which AR is so impressed with. Have I become almost as credible as TA? Where's the justice? I can fix tractors too, you know? Via the keyboard.

NOT FAIR!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2012 02:14 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Almost Elbee, almost. [Wink]
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2012 05:03 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with Tom and the others....a little heat would be my first attempt. I keep LN2 around for some applications, but I don't think freezing it would be as effective as the heat. The different make up of the two metals as well as the non continuity of the the union, would make heating the best choice. In other words, heat will transfer through the barrel and the choke tube differently.
As for a liquid penetrant; a mixture of 50% power steering fluid and 50% acetone works the best of anything I have found. Be careful though, it may remove some blueing, and it shouldn't be used in conjuntion with heat (for obvious reasons).

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 04:34 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
For those interested,the tube is still stuck.Tried the freezing and i think about everything else suggested here w/out success.My neighbor is busy planting and views making a living for his family as taking priority over my choke so it may be awhile.It's presently drowning in another concoction I came up with awaiting his arrival.
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 06:47 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
what causes a c tube to get so stuck in the first place??
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 07:16 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
From experience, heat works. And they will take way more heat than you think. I think a lot of the problem is plastic from the wad and fouling getting in the threads. I don't know how it forces itself in there but I have heated them until the plastic literally melted out of there in smoke and liquid. Put the barrel in a vice to do all this. Due to the aerial hunting and sometimes shooting hundreds of heavy loads before cleaning this happens occasionally if we dont remember to pull the choke and re grease it occasionally. On that note, grease your choke tube threads every time you clean your shotgun.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2012 05:14 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I went ahead & had a cup of 'Speedbead Koolaid' and I LIKE IT!
 -
I did adjust POI a few inches right after that shot. 45 yds with my turkey load, Win Supreme HV #5s, 3.5" 2oz.

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2012 06:09 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Beretta Extema2 with Kicks .690 tube and Hevi-shot T,s at 40 yards.
 -

Fifty yards.
 -

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2012 06:19 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
17 cal. at 500 yards.. [Big Grin]

-

Don't need a shotty if you shoot when they stop to potty. [Smile]

[ May 10, 2012, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2012 08:26 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn nice shootin' there, Tim. And the bullets didn't even bounce off of that weathered plywood, so maybe they actually could kill something at that range. I imagine that follow-up shots at spinners might be kind of tough, though. [Smile]
Here's where I have one itsy-bitsy problem with the long lob; In the time that it takes you to walk out 500 yards, find the coyote, carry it back to the stand, & then back however far from there to the truck, I can kill one with the shottie, have it skinned, take a coffee break, & get in another stand. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2012 09:13 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah-Ha-Ha, Timmy has a .17 caliber pencil.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2012 03:24 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Actualy Koko while your waiting for them to get close enough for the shotty I may have 2-3 already laying dead and in the back of the truck and headed for my next stand while slamming down a cold Dew. [Wink]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2012 08:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you mean a slushy, frozen 'Dew? What's colder, SD or Minneesota?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2012 05:16 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep one or two laying on top of the defroster between hunts, it thaws them out in no time..

S.D. is about 10 degrees warmer than home...

--------------------

coyote whacker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2012 08:34 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim that grouping wouldn't do much in 600yrd BR comps you have to shrink that down by a few inches and increase the range by 100 yrds. [Big Grin]

But not bad for a little 17 too bad they barely have enough energy left to break paper at those ranges. Thats why I like a 6mm at extended ranges. [Razz]

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek060.html

[ May 12, 2012, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2012 09:19 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL.. That group was'nt shot by me but by a young fellow who fired a centerfire rifle for the first time.. Just think how it would group in the hands of a pro like me.. Ha ha [Smile]
The 17 cal bullet can go through a water jug at a 1000 yds, I'm sure you knew that..

It will also do the same amount of damage to a steel plate as my 22-250 ackley. [Wink]
 -

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2012 05:22 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I never had any use for a machine gun myself. If I did decide to get one it would be a Thompson sub machine gun lookalike. I prefer real rifles for coyotes in open country, and shotgun for the thick stuff. Shooting at 500 yard coyotes is mostly hail Mary, hope I hit him type of horse play.

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2012 08:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
`It (.17 Cal bullet) will do the same amount of damage to a steel plate as a 22-250 ackely`

Uh...................May have to think about that one for a bit. [Confused]

Ok......While giving the killer dog it's morning belly rub, I had one of those epiphany things and realized that by that logic, when I shoot BB loads in my shottie, I'm sending little round .177 cal bullets downrange and should be able to do the same amount of damage as a 22-250 ackely on full auto.
No......????
[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2012 10:09 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh.. No Koko..

BB's are round and don't penatrate like a bullet does, plus the BB's are running a little short in vel. and energy..
The pic. of the shot up steel plate shows clearly what a 17 cal bullet will do at the same range as the 22-250 ackley shooting 52 gr. A-Maxs.. Both loads where doing about the same in Vel. At best you would be lucky if the BB's had enough energy to chip the paint off the steel plate at 30 yds....

Rich just take that 25-06 rhino slayer you have and zero it for 100 yds and then shoot at one of your paper pie plates at 500 yds and just aim for the top of the plate.. Bet you can hit it, even at your old age... [Big Grin]

Koko just remember once you start giveing the dog those belly rubbs you better not stop or she will turn on you. [Razz]

[ May 13, 2012, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2012 10:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if both were traveling at the same speed, I guess the .224" 52 grain would have twice the energy as a 30 grain .177"?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters