The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » Midwest night hunting page #3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Midwest night hunting page #3
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2010 11:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Charter Member #1

Posted August 27, 2009 05:55 PM Hide Post

F) High Racks

Steve Craig-
High Racks... if you can use them, then use them. Anytime you can get some elevation on your quarry, do so. That said, I use a simple 6 foot step ladder on many stands. You will be surprised at what will walk under you only 6 foot off the ground. The advantages are many.

Coyotes rarely look up, your scent is above ground level for the most part, you can get away with some movement that you can't on the ground, and you can see much better as well.
The use of a step ladder has been perfected here in AZ by several AZ callers. I just hated to burst their bubble, but I was using one in Indiana back in 1979! Cornfields and a step ladder go hand in hand. If you haven’t tried it, do so.

F) High Racks

Danny Batastini-
We don't use high racks in California, there are various legal issues involved with from your vehicle in all the southwestern states except NM (residents) and Texas.

F) High Racks

Leonard Bosinski-
High racks have advantages, especially being above and looking down. As far as I'm concerned, they have a couple of disadvantages, as well.

Full disclosure. Here in California, we were using a similar system almost fifty years ago, without the seat and admittedly, not nearly as high.

What we have been using for at least the past 25 years is the California Rig. Imagine a camper shell with a hatch in the middle, surrounded with a padded rifle rest. I call it Third Generation. I prefer a camper shell that is no more than ten or twelve inches above cab height.

The advantage is in traveling, you don't have to break it down once you get back on the pavement. It can drive under trees that would stop a high rack, and it is much warmer to hunt out of, since you are only exposed from the chest up. In addition, we can crawl through and be on top from the cab without getting out of the truck.

Normally, the light man stays on top from stand to stand and can decide where to stop by signaling the driver via a button and a light on the dashboard. It is very quiet and very fast, in case you see a crosser, for instance.

The hatch itself should be about 30X36(?) and removable while hunting, yet watertight when the weather turns nasty. I like the rack to be about five inches in height and allow a shooter to have both elbows on the padded surface, which can also be removed when traveling. The rack should be at least 9-10 inches from the edge of the hatch, all the way around. We normally use benchrest type stocks with a 3" flat forearm for stability. This is quite an advantage and the reason why we can routinely make 400+ yard shots at night.

Of course, all audio controls are within easy reach, and the speakers are generally mounted in the grill and under the rear bumper with a selector switch so we can project the sound in the best direction.

We do use three man kill teams, if the rules allow it, but a two man crew is not at a disadvantage, except the fatigue factor and sharing expenses. With a three man, everyone has a specific job but we usually change off once in a while, although I have used the light all night and never fired a shot. Many times I have been the shooter all night, as well. Truthfully, it is the easiest job on the team. Some people rotate, every stand, but generally, that's because they haven't killed enough animals. My attitude is that it is a team effort and I have confidence in my partner that when the time comes, he can be counted on to make the shot just as well as I can. A good partner is worth his weight in gold. But, make no mistake, the light man is the hunter.

There are a bunch of modifications useful for night hunting from a vehicle. Stuff like having signal buttons right in the handle of the spotlight...the only limitation is your imagination. A good idea is to have rules for moving the vehicle. The light man tells the driver when to start the truck and when to move. Serious problems develop when the driver takes off without knowing that some gear or a firearm is not secured properly before moving.

--------------------

G) Most Productive Timeframes

Steve Craig-
Night Hunting works just about every time of the year it is tried. Go whenever you get the chance, is my motto.

Danny Batastini-
Night hunting is almost always better than day hunting all of the year because predators, by nature, are nocturnal. In the heat of the southwest, it is always best to hunt at night during the summer months. During denning season, it wouldn't make much difference when you hunt, you won't be seeing much action (I personally do not hunt during this time).

Leonard Bosinski-
Early season is by far the best, in terms of bodycount. Young, dumb animals and lots of them. Late season, once they start pairing up, you need to change your methods, use a lot more howls and perhaps stretch out your stands a bit more?

Actually, warm weather is not so good, the animals don't begin moving until much later at night. Really bitter cold seems to affect animals. I don't think they like being out in it any more than we do?

I seem to kill more animals from late October to mid December. Before that, they aren't as motivated, and past Christmas, they are thinned out somewhat and they could be starting to run in pairs, depending on conditions, of course.

As for bobcat, I don't think there is much difference? If you could hunt them early, they respond just as well as in midwinter. We used to be able to hunt cats all year round and I killed quite a few in July and August.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jrbhunter, August 27, 2009 06:45 PM
Posts: 6159 | Location: MPH Headquarters | Registered: September 02, 2005

Ignored post by Jrbhunter posted August 27, 2009 05:55 PM Show Post

Jrbhunter
Charter Member #1

Posted August 27, 2009 05:55 PM Hide Post

H) Moon Phases
Steve Craig-
H. The best time to go Night Hunting is whenever you can go! Go out under all moon phases. Don’t worry, you will shortly find out what time of the month is the best. If you said, New Moon, you would be correct. This has always been my favorite time. Next is the 1st and 3rd Quarters and one or two days either side of it.

H) Moon Phases
Danny Batastini-
After 45 years of predator calling, I think I figured out that the best time to hunt at night is during a new moon or close to it. Coyotes especially, move around a lot when there is no moon or very little moon light. There may be a thousand reasons why but I can't guess why. Less movement during a full moon is easier to explain because the coyote can see during it and may be spooked by shadows or it may see you. There is no doubt about it, the less moon the better.

H) Moon Phases
Leonard Bosinski-
A lot of chatter about moon phases, but as far as I'm concerned, for night hunting, a new moon is by far the best.

There are a lot of factors and moon phase is only one of many. Of course you can hunt in just about any phase, but I strongly recommend a new moon for one reason, only. The animals can see you, simple as that. The darker it is, the less chance of them seeing movement.

It is fairly easy to work around it in other less optimum phases, but you will have better success before the moon rises and after it sets. When it is hanging up there all night, it makes for rough hunting because you are up there where you can easily be skylined. If you can get the light on him, that's good, but before that happens, if you are working the light to the right and the animal shows up over on the left, there is a good chance he can see you.

A lot of night hunters believe that coyotes are spooky, sort of afraid, in a full moon. I can't say, but whatever reason you subscribe to, hunting under a bright moon is very tough. Cats, not so much, but boy, you better not let him catch you moving. He will likely stick around but won't come any closer, and you can spend half the night coaxing him and having no luck. If there is any moon, there is a good chance that he picked up some movement. Cats being cats, they don't run off like a coyote, but they "ain't" coming in either.

When that happens and you have a cat hung up, there is a real good possibility that you can walk him up. Get the portable light and a rifle and slowly walk up on him. They will usually hold still as long as you don't make a lot of noise. I have done it many times on stubborn cats. I once walked up three bobcats, together, and killed every one of them. The best situation is if he is above you in elevation. Makes them feel more confident.

But, getting back to the question, plan all your night hunting around a dark moon, if at all possible. It is the best, I guarantee it.
Posts: 6159 | Location: MPH Headquarters | Registered: September 02, 2005

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters