The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » Spotlight Lens Covers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spotlight Lens Covers
mzzlldr
PAKMAN
Member # 779

Icon 3 posted January 09, 2006 10:56 AM      Profile for mzzlldr   Email mzzlldr         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking of doing some nite hunting & would like to hear your thoughts about colored lens for the light. What color do you think is best to use, red, blue, amber or others? Your thought are much appreciated!
Posts: 2 | From: Madison Hgts. MI. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 11:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, mzzlldr. Glad to have you on board.

As far as the color of your lens, the most commonly used is red. I use it almost exclusively, but depending on the type of hunting you are doing, and what animals you are hunting, amber is a very good choice, as well. Generally speaking, coyotes get more spooky, unless you are using a red lens, the darker, the better.

For close range viewing of undisturbed animals, there is nothing wrong with green, but they can be a lot harder to keep track of.

It's hard to go wrong with red but in wide open places with unlimited visibility, it is hard to beat amber, switching to red when they get closer, if you have the right light setup. I wouldn't recommend this if you are fumbling around with snap on lenses, however.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 5 posted January 14, 2006 08:45 AM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Question along these lines for you if I may, Leonard. How do you remove dykem from a glass lens?

Thanks.

Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 08:57 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Not trying to run under Leonard. They have Dykum remover that works instantly. In a pinch WD-40 will do it. Just slow.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 09:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a darn good question, Joel! Believe me when I tell you that I have tried every solvent I can think of, acetone, laquer thinner, on and on. Nothing I have found cuts it. You have to buy their special Dykem solvent. It comes in a quart bottle and will last you several years.

You can add all the coats of red Dykem that you want, being careful to spray straight down, otherwise if you hold it vertical, it may drip and you will have an uneven tint.

But, when you go the other way, like right now, hunting under a full moon, you need more light, so you need to use the Dykem remover, and start over with a lighter shade.

But, this is worth it, you don't have to mess with a clip on lens, or in the case of the Nightforce, it's spring loaded, and slightly jiggles your beam when you flip it up for the white light. You do not want a bouncing beam when your shooter is trying to get off a shot.

They make a yellow Dykem but it is hard to find. It works very well with cats and gray fox but some coyotes don't like it. But, there is no doubt, it reaches out further than red, if you are hunting open plains.

Good hunting. LB

edit: hmmm? Never tried that, Ronnie? Interesting.

[ January 14, 2006, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 09:37 AM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to both of you. I am about to try the WD-40 since I have that on-hand. I've tried coleman lantern fluid with no success. I think I will go find me some of this dykem remover. Like you said, it should last for quite some time.
Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 09:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Long time, is right. I have only purchased two bottles of the solvent, ever. You tip it on a cotton ball held over the opening and after perhaps three cotton balls, you are ready to spray. It may soak through the cotton ball and get your fingers red, unless you wear rubber gloves.

This sounds messy and complicated but it is actually simple, and has so many advantages over plastic lens covers.

Good hunting. LB

edit: one caution about the WD40 solution. You MUST get all grease and oil off the surface or your Dykem will fisheye on you.

[ January 14, 2006, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 02:47 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, have you ever heard of using Standard Brands Candy Apple Red.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 05:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's what everybody used to use, at least everybody in San Gabriel, that I knew of?

It's not as good as Dykem, because it does not scorch or turn opaque, on a powerful light. Nor does it chip off. I never told anyone about Dykem when I was competing. The Internet made me a blabbermouth.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 09:23 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, yeah me too, but that's ok. Granville was the first guy that I seen use dykem, I think Ken Miller or Rick told him about it. That was a few years ago, like around 25+ lol.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters