The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Sounding off!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sounding off!
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a good laugh in the back yard last evening.

The pack of coyotes that whelps and rears a litter every year just east of town, thus just east of my house, is healthy and growing. This past year, I managed to cull 3 off the bunch, leaving the rest because I couldn't get them.

Anyway, I had been wondering if they were raising a litter this year. Last night, they assured me they were.

107 yards north of my house is a stand of trees that is about 200 yards square. At this time of the year, mom and dad spend a lot of time teaching the kids to hunt in there because it is thick and brambly, and full of void spaces, feral cats, rodents, and bunnies.

I was working in the backyard last night when I noticed smoke to the northeast of my house. It's wheat harvest time and I commented to the wife that someone must be happy to be done cutting wheat since they appear to be burning stubble already. Then, the wall of smoke came through and I could tell that it was wood smoke, not wheat stubble smoke. Different smells. No sooner had I commented about that than you could hear sirens coming. On the other side of those trees is 21st Street and a dozen different fire units, rescue trucks, and LEO's went down 21st with their sirens on. That timber lit the "F" up, now. "Sounded like there musta been a hunnert of 'em!" as the saying goes. The wife just looked at me kinda funny as I started laughing at the puppies howling, and both my ratties just ran for mama and home.

Good to hear 'em.

The fire was a neighbor's house. half-mile away. Four alarms, four different departments called in to bring personnel and water tenders. House was a total loss.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2014 02:52 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I love hearing coyotes make noise. Years ago me and the wife rented a house on the outskirts of town. Coyotes would light up every night, literally in my front yard, loud as hell. My wife hated it.

Then, they got to congregating around the back of the house, for whatever reason, right under our bedroom window late at night. They would howl their asses off for 10 minutes or so, which I thought was cool, wife...not so much. I would crack the blinds and just watch them yip and yap, play around, piss on stuff, scratch the shit out of the ground etc.
Quite entertaining.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2014 03:37 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
They are an acquired taste, aren't they. LOL

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted July 03, 2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
More like an addiction. I killed my first coyote kinda late in life, somewhere around 1967/68? It was a life altering moment. I never looked at birds, deer, fish, trap&skeet, or any other big or small game the same way after that. Might say I was hooked? I needed an "Intervention" a long time ago, but it didn't happen. I know a number of hunters involved at the same level who lost a wife or two....or three, as in the case of Danny Batistini. lol.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duckdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2014 06:00 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
I love hearing them too...

I had a rather strange howling experience last year.

It happened on my annual opening weekend (upland birds) trip to NW Kansas. I always go out there a day early to tidy up and post new "Keep Out" signs on all of my buddy's property out there. So between posting signs, I usually call stands before the orange army invades the next day.
If the weather is forecasted to be nice enough, I just "camp" inside an old Quonset barn that's out in the middle of nowhere.
(My buddy just finished building a really nice lodge there now, so the camping days may be over).

So,...it was a really warm and windy day and I didn't see fur all day. Got all my signs posted and headed back to the barn.
While I was setting up camp I had Jäger my Drahthaar pup on a tie out right outside the barn door.
Sometime in the middle of the night, or early morning,...
A coyote lit up RIGHT outside the door! Not more than 20' from where my head was resting inside a tent.
And I mean LIT UP!!
He was seriously pissed off!!
All I can guess is he caught a whiff of where my dog had been pissing out there and it struck a nerve.
Now, if anyone else, non coyote hunter types, told ME this story,...I'd probably just dismiss it. Kind of like the "hundred of them!!" stories we hear.
But, I'm telling ya...that coyote was pissed and RIGHT outside the door!

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2014 02:35 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I am very lucky in that my wife enjoys the sound of coyotes lighting up we both get excited to hear it and guess at how many are really making those sounds. We have a very good supply around our property in Ash Fork. Last time we were there
I witnessed a coyote take a black tailed jack just outside our fence line with the Kaibab. Its funny how a barking dog can piss me off and a howling coyote makes me feel all is right with the world.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2014 09:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is:

I envy those of you that can still hear a coyote's howl. They need to be close enough to step on before I can hear it. Which is not very often. In fact, the last time, I killed him for the favor! Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished. (on his part)

My son says to me, leaving a stand; "hey, they really lit up!" And, I go, huh? Had I known that, I sure as hell would have still been sitting down!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2014 09:39 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you, Paul. Barking dogs are a way of life for me as a letter carrier, and a warning sign to be listened to and determine their location and if they're getting closer or not. Barking dogs piss me off and put me on the defensive. At the same time, a coyote barking sets my heart to racing for a different reason and puts me on offense. The two sound so different to me, yet the people around me invariably ask, "Is that a coyote?!?"

They must have been elsewhere last evening. Out in the backyard enjoying a cigar and hanging my flag for the 4th when another wall of smoke approached. Thought maybe the house from the night before had rekindled and that I'd better go check it out. Turns out that the rich-folk development just across the field from me had fireworks get out of hand and lit up the tall grass behind their yards. I guess being rich doesn't guarantee they have brains enough not to burn their own houses down. Whole Fire Dept. came rolling in with two PD units. Got that fire out and were stowing gear when they got called to another conflagration on the other side of town. Sirens coming in, sirens going out. One of my dogs is a f'in' mess right now with all these sirens going right past the house and mortars going off 'til midnight.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters