The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Tom Clancy nails it...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tom Clancy nails it...
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2014 05:42 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been a fan of Tom Clancy’s books since the late 80’s after a guy gave me a copy of The Hunt for Red October.

It was extremely eerie as I got 57 pages into his current book, Command Authority, and he has Russia invading Crimea and poising to invade the Ukraine.

This book came out 5 months ago, (our local library sucks at getting current releases), and had to be started on in 2011 or early 2012 and he still nailed the current scenario. If you didn’t know, Clancy died last October…I wonder how he would have felt knowing what he wrote about was actually coming to fruition?

Too damn bad our current administration failed to see that far ahead.

[ April 19, 2014, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2014 09:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I bought that book as soon as it came out and read it in about three days. It's remarkably predicting, exactly what is happening in Ukraine.

Clancy will be missed, I have every one of his books (in hardcover) except The Hunt For Red October; still the best. Seems all my favorite authors are becoming extinct, like Ludlum, etc.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2014 01:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait..............You guys are saying that a deceased fiction writer has more insight into foreign affairs than our own Dear Leader who has vast experience as a community organizer ?????

[Eek!]

Edit 4 Speling

[ April 19, 2014, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Kokopelli ]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7591 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2014 03:51 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, never got to that Clancy book!
For those lookin' for an interesting fiction author, check out Lee Child and his 'Jack Reacher' books.

Hollywood whored a movie, titled "Reacher" & cast Tom Cruise to play the protagonist. Seeing as how, in the book, Reacher is like 6'5", #240, and his stature is pivotal to his character, casting shrimpy Cruise for the part is lost on me?

But then again, the books are always better than the movies, anyway!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2014 05:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, my girlfriend is a prolific reader. I have no clue what she was talking about with the, quote:

"Seeing as how, in the book, Reacher is like 6'5", #240"! And she said the same thing: TOM CRUISE?

I didn't know what she was talking about, never heard of Lee Child. But, same thing, she was very scornful of the casting choice. lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2014 06:40 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
LMAO
Yep, a real buzzkill, Leonard!
Child's Reacher character is a retired Army MP, and his MO is kickin' azz, unrepentantly.
Seeing the diminutive Cruise cast in that role is almost as bad as if Tom Hanks were cast as Jackie Robinson in the movie, "42".
Shit just don't fit, dude!!!

If your ladyfriend is lacking for Reacher books, I'll send ya all I got!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2014 05:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I will ask.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters