The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » things your partner does that annoys you (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: things your partner does that annoys you
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2018 02:56 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoyable thread.I mostly hunt alone but do now have a great occasional partner except for 2 things:
He is young,employed and too responsible to take more hunting time from his job and family;and he insists on shooting a Savage with 'savage' feeding problems-especially on follow ups that are stroked rapidly.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2018 03:21 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Back home here, I roll solo, mostly. Have coerced a few friends to tag along, and have one in particular that will (hopefully) get his first coyote this season...

Have been proud to show a couple 'out of state' partners what a newyawk coyote looks like, trips like that are unforgettable!

On topic, anymore I've been blessed to be the 'rookie' tag-a-along with several great callers out west. Will never forget a day in AZ with Clint & KJ, they took my yankee azz under their collective wing...
Have hunted with Kerry a few times, and he's 'old school' killer/call maker extraordinaire...
Been out with Jimzy too, and had a most excellent day that needs a re-boot!!!
Been out with Randy some, as well & hoping to do that again soon, too!!!
Spent a day with Dave p-doggin', and that was a real treat! Would like to think we'd have at least that much fun on a calling trip!

Couple of other fellas beyond those who may be familiar, and a couple Okie killer buds who leave ya with a sore face from all the yukkin' up & fun out calling!!!

So, here sits a blessed hunter to have had so many accomplished callers to have shared stands with. Bout the only thing I could think to b!tch about is if one'd have farted in the truck???

P.S. make this campout happen!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2018 03:22 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I hunt with the other half. He trained me and we understand each other. Guess we're spoiled we finish each other's sentence and so forth. Our only problem now is the aching joints and getting up and down doesn't work all that well.
I don't think I could hunt with anyone else after 36 years with the same guy.
Yes, I can hit what I usually aim at. But a little rusty beyond 300 yards.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2018 08:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry about those 300 yard shots. Actually, in a way, I'm getting fed up with all the talk about 800-1,000 yard shots aided by a ballistic computer. Fine, if you like to bang on steel, but beyond colony critters, I have never been a big fan of these hero shots way out yonder. Even a target as big as an elk can be missed if he moves while the bullet is in flight.

What cured me was walking out at night. It's impossible to mark an animal out in the sage when he falls. Even if you have the line dead nuts, you can misjudge the distance. Recovering an animal at night is just as hard as calling him and shooting him.

300 yard shots are doable, of course but it's not the end of the world in you limit your shooting to 100-150 yards. In fact, that's the best, inside of 50 yards, they are moving too fast unless you have a shotgun.

It's not even that I'm becoming an old fuddy duddy. I have always felt that a clean 100 yard shot is the best you can get. I always feel good when I tag one trying to get away, but that's a bonus after the first one is down, right out in the open. I guess I'm not as desperate to kill everything I see, anymore? But, back in the day, another story.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ October 19, 2018, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2018 01:22 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
It use to be he'd carry the shotgun and I had the rifle.
Then one year he decided to call tall sage and set me up for nothing so he could have the shots. That didn't go over well at all.
But we've had our fun and interesting calling times.

I'm not into long range shooting would love to understand it and know how to actually use my Night Force scope. It's way smarter than I am.

Wanna buy it.? LOL

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 19, 2018 01:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to listen to male wisdom, once in a while. Call where they are, & don't bother fishing where they ain't.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NeilA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2018 04:53 AM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
Great topic! Sorry I’m a little late..

Anyway, what irritates the heck out of me is people changing my system.

Whether it is fishing or hunting, sometimes I get a system that works very well - for example, a particular lure placed at a particular depth trolled at an exact speed or for hunting, conceal yourself at a particular stand in a particular way and time etc.

So, when I am experiencing great success I enjoy sharing it with my couple of hunting or fishing buddies. The problem arises when they feel the need to put their “spin” on my proven technique- basically change a component in an effort to improve it- usually before trying it even. This irritates the shit out of me and has damaged friendships.

I obviously am a believer that if a system is achieving great results, DO NOT CHANGE IT, especially if It is being shared with you, and you are basically a guest, and you ever want to be invited again.

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2018 05:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Neil !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2018 05:10 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
They come to me to learn and then they change shit !
Neil nailed it !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2018 09:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....and at the same time, you have to be flexible. Like one of the old timers once said: "Sometimes this shit don't work" You should have a Plan B.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters