The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » Night hunting Powerline Cut (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Night hunting Powerline Cut
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 11:13 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim WTF is a "Koodoos"? I`m so impressed at how far Leonard has come under your guidance, it seems as if he`s finally starting to pay attention & learn something. Wow!!!

Anyway, Knockemdown made a good point about the light "splash" Its tough when you`re on foot and by yourself, compare what LB has shared in the past about hunting from a rig & then try to make that all come together on foot with no help from another person. Damn tough aint it. Its still enough fun to keep going out though. [Smile]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 12:16 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its still enough fun to keep going out though.

Amen...
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 12:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think I'm ungrateful!, JD!

Same with lights. Shrouds are such a basic night hunting 101 issue that I completely overlooked the possibility that they/it was being misused.

Seriously, what is being discussed is such a waste of....no, no, you guys hang in there and enjoy yourselves.

And, another thing. What is the rationale/justification for hunting the same spot on successive nights? Are suitable locations in such short supply? Just saying......

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 12:38 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leonard hunting spots out here are more or less hard to come by. I no longer have private property to hunt on here, so I have been going on state land. There are a couple more spots I would like to try but some of that means I will be back in the woods. I was trying to take some of the advice given here and get out of the woods a bit for night calling.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 01:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, They paved Paradise, put in a parking lot, didn't they? cut all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum, and then they charged the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em. Don't it always seem as though, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone. (all together now) PAVED PARADISE, PUT IN A PARKING LOT!

I think civilization is heading west. In a hundred years, my grandkids will be hunting clear cuts on successive nights.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 02:36 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, I`m shocked, why would you say night hunting is a waste of time [Smile] I gave up on doing it by myself, too much equip & too difficult to make all the stars line up just right, but trying to convince a buddy to stay up all night calling coyotes with me is damn near as difficult, a hell of a lot more productive with one guy on the light & one on the gun.

TA isn`t responding!?!? This could mean only one thing....The wireless internet isn`t working at the gay bar this afternoon.

--------------------
Jason

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 03:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....or, there's a serious overcrowding in the Men's Room.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 03:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....or, the Vaseline is frozen stiff?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 03:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Bet those high top boots are a serious "chick" magnet?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 03:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, just a little good natured kidding, don't be mad at JD.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 06:22 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Leonard was saying night hunting is a waste of time, JD. I read it to say that this rudimentary discussion is what is wasteful. While it may well be to those well versed in night hunting, like Leonard, I think it has some value. I have exactly zero experience calling at night, so reading the different strategies and suggestions is entertaining and educational to some of us. From what I gather, 49 has little (no offense) experience period, and he seems to be getting the help he asked for.

I know this for sure, getting out in the dark with some of you guys who know the ins and outs of swinging a light would be a hoot. The mention of warning gizmos set up to tell the driver what to do when, knocked me for a loop. [Wink]

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 07:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a number of not very high tech signals, Jimaniz. Describing a circle in front of the road tells the driver that you want him to turn around. Holding the beam down the road and flicking it slightly to the left or right tells the driver which fork to take. Tipping the light slightly up and forward directly down the road repeatedly means go a little faster. Wig wagging sideways means slow down until I quit wagging. Wagging right across the hood, means stop the truck and cut the engine. After making a stand, ready to move, pointing your light down the road and flipping it up a couple times means start the truck and let's go.

These are ways of simplifying communication between whoever is in back and the driver with only the essential hunting spotlight. When you think about a momentary contact pushbutton in the back connected to a single light installed on the dash, there are a bunch of instructions that can be conveyed up front. A blinking light means something different than a steady light as does when the steady light goes out. You can even tell the driver to back up until you blink again, just with a series of codes predetermined and agreed upon. A second colored light can mean a whole different set of instructions. All of these things, done at a critical moment can make all the difference in success and failure. I can't count the animals that have been taken because of these special signals between those in the back and those in front. This stuff is all second nature, after you have been night hunting for a while. One thing that really never worked is vocal communications via some sort of intercom.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 08:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats ok Leonard.. I read somewhere on the Net that J.D. dresses up like one of those village people cowboys with azzless chaps and intertains the sheep on the week-ends.. [Eek!]

J.D. keep sniffing that "Yote tote" and youre gonna get permanent brain damage.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 09:09 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the help guys. Though I am getting discouraged I won't be giving up.

I am gonna take some of Leonard's advice this week and try calling a new area. I will keep you posted if anything develops.

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 09:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
49 you mentioned you have to walk in on crunchy ice or snow. Is there any reason why you could'nt call youre way in along the power lines???? Not sure how far the next road is but I know of some guys that place a second vehicle farther down the line and then call as they work there way through..

Hang in there, it will come together.. [Smile] .

--------------------

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 09:49 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me tell you a little story TA....once upon a time there were 2 wanna-be self promoting coyote hunters, one from MN. & one from TX, just for the sake of this story lets give them fictitious names like say....Tim & Byron, Tim & Byron were out getting an extra 15 years of experience of coyote calling one afternoon when they came across a sheep with its head stuck in the fence. When Byron saw this he immediately ran over to it, pulled his pants down & started gettin busy with that sheep, when he finished he turned to his top student & said "Tim, you want some of that" to which Tim replied " you damn right I do" so he walked over beside the sheep pulled his pants down, bent over, and stuck his head through the fence................

--------------------
Jason

fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2011 09:58 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Oh WOW!!!!

Now that's funny!!!!!!!! That casts a visual that won't soon leave any of us! I guess if he generated enough friction Tim might actually see the light! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2011 08:38 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
True story.

--------------------
Jason

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2011 10:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If that's a true story, they ain't nothing but gol dang preverts! I ain't about to shake hands with either one, again, either. At least have the decency to get married! Wait. That ain't right, they both ARE married, but not to each other.

So, that's how Byron accumulated his experience, helping sheep over the fence? Tim, stay away from him, he sets a bad example. One thing's for sure, farm boys will always be farm boys. EEK!

TX for bringin' this 2 our attention, JD. You da bomb!

Yo Tim, I'm yanking your moderator!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2011 10:48 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record I've never met Byron, not even sure of who he is.. I think he is a good friend of Shaws, he use to talk about him all the time, but like i said I've never met him.. [Smile]

[ February 06, 2011, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2011 11:20 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the advice guys.

It's good to hear differing perspectives and approaches that would be taken by various hunters on the subject of night calling, and calling in general.

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2011 09:15 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are a number of not very high tech signals, Jimaniz.
Dan, can you do something about this?
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters