The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Bitch, doesn't anybody buy powder any more?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bitch, doesn't anybody buy powder any more?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted January 30, 2024 09:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the flyer from Natchez it's been a couple weeks and so I sometimes browse it while in the library.

Reloader powder is listed, the only one I use is #19, and it's $64 a fucking pound! EEK!

IMR and Hodgdon's are all like $50 per pound.

The only one half way reasonable, but only in comparison is Winchester 760 and 748, I forget but maybe $35?

Anyway, what the hell is the reason for these utterly ridiculous prices? And yet, you can buy military shit; 7.62 and 5.56 LOADED for way cheaper than if you buy primers and bullets and then you pay over fifty bucks for 7000 grains of powder.

Roughly, what? 23 grains X 7,000=304 charges of 223 powder. Is that 16 cents worth of powder? plus a bullet plus a primer.

Then how much is a 20 round box of 5.56?

Something ain't making sense, to me?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS now you have to add the cost of a powder scale and a press and set of dies. It's no wonder that nobody want to handload ammunition anymore?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2024 11:36 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
supply and demand along with price gouging. I don't think the prices will ever drop too normal.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2024 11:40 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
also, way it was big ammo companies come first and if they have overrun of powder then we get a discount same with bullets. But they can't keep up so they price the hell out of us to slow down sales.

--------------------

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2024 04:46 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
It's Bidenomics at work.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2024 06:51 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, as in a brick of .22 ammo is a commodity with real value as opposed to a dollar that has the full faith and credit of the Biden Government behind it.

[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2024 08:09 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I did buy two can's powder last week, for around 80.00.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2024 08:36 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Today Jan. 31 and temps in the 50's here in Minn. with no snow on the ground. WTF!!!!! Lets get to night calling boyz.......

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2024 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have, (not really, really recently) bought some (a few) pounds of shotgun and pistol powders and I paid something like $38 per pound.

But still, $38 is a long ways from $65! They got to be kidding!

Sure give me the sage comments about inflation and supply and demand but I'M TELLING YOU, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG!

First the sage's told us if they go after us, the weak link was logically PRIMERS but here we are with especially rifle powders, and particularly ReLoader powders for rifle application, all priced at $64-$65. The one I use in particular, for 25'06Ackley and 243Ackley is ReLoader19. Fortunately, I have a couple pounds on hand.

Here's another thing. I don't know what some of you guys are using in high performance .224" but I have always got extremely good results with H414. Near as I can tell, you can't find that anywhere, at any price? Same thing, I happen to have a bit more than a couple pounds, on hand, but still, it's weird. What if I didn't?

As far as loaded ammunition, honest to God, I cannot tell you the last time I bought any rifle cartridges? No, yes I bought a couple boxes of 7.62X39 for a Chinese rifle I got from my brother in law for $80 and gave it to my grandson, and then he had it seized by the cops for some reason that was never clear to me, and by that time I had already bought a set of dies and some 1680 powder for it. It's aweird bore size so the accuracy ain't great with .308" bullets, but other than that purchase, 20 years ago, I literally, have not bought loaded rifle cartridges, ever.

Handgun, that's a different story. I'm stocked to the rafters with boxes of ammo for everything I own, even though I handload everything except 25auto, and maybe I should get around to that if I start shooting that copy of the Baby Browning that I have. It's a punishing little cocksucker, so that ain't happening sometime soon.

And, it's like ko ko said, a box of, especially pistol ammunition, is a transferable commodity. But, there again, look at 50 rounds of 22LR and 9mmx19. Currently, to the best of my knowledge, the 22's are like $6.50 for CCI and any FMJ 9mm range ammo is ten bucks? Don't quote me, I don't know what either is right exactly now, and if you have to mail it, which I can't even do, in the People's Republik!

Ammo is a fucking mess, but at least we don't have to fill out forms and show ID. And the reason is because if you got your name on file, for 5 years, they already have your purchase noted and logged.
It's really not very different from buying firearms, in Kalifornia.

END OF RANT
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2024 11:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some proof of collusion by FUCK JOE BIDEN on his efforts to cut down the ammo supply.

exert:
“This policy to deny the sale of excess ammunition not only would freeze over 30 percent of the 5.56mm/.223 caliber ammunition used by law-abiding gun owners,” Oliva said, “it risks the ammunition industry’s ability to surge production capacity for national defense if the costs to maintain the present workforce isn’t recouped through sales to the civilian market.”

https://thefederalist.com/2022/06/17/wh ite-house-aims-to-shut-down-ammunition-sales-while-dems-claim-to-engage-in-good-faith-gun-talks/

edit: It seems to me that Lake City was the plant that had a huge explosion on the primer line not long ago and was the reason for the price of primers going north of $100/M?

[ January 31, 2024, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2024 01:21 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I used H-414 a few times think that's a military surplus powder. I'm using H-380 and N-140, N540.Ramshot big game is good but none on shelves as of now.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2024 05:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know you can bring up Hodgdon's website and they tell you everything they have in stock. It changes maybe no daily but it does seem to show what they have and a couple days later you look and it's out of stock. The thing is to keep checking and you would be surprised how it changes.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I finally found the powder availability link

https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon/

edit: this is their stock of Winchester IMR powder
https://shop.hodgdon.com/imr/

Note: scroll to the bottom of the page and look at the left side for the different powders. Also they dink around when you change the search criteria above where it says AtoZ etc.

[ January 31, 2024, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2024 06:31 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Been getting what powder I need right here plus I don't have to pay hazmat charges.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted February 01, 2024 10:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, lucky you!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters