The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Tillie the pup

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tillie the pup
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2020 08:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Question for dog experts. Tillie has dew claws in front, and they are not just useless appendages. She can, (and does) use them! Even when playfully reaching out and grabbing my arm, that damned claw is flexed and 9 times out of ten, she rips me open! She doesn't mean anything by it, it's strictly playful, but I have 10/20 scars/scabs on both arms from her play. She has as much range of movement of that dew claw as I have of my thumbs.

I have heard that some people amputate dew claws on bird dogs because they get snagged and injured. I have no interest in this, wouldn't do it. This is not my first dog, but this one is by far the strongest! She is a warrior, and very athletic. She runs an obstacle course around the house involving 3 1/2 rooms when I let her in after being gone for several hours. She is like a racehorse or a greyhound, runs so fast in the house that she crashes into things, she is so excited to see me.

So this is an unpolished gem, raw strength! Not kidding, I can not contain her, she is all muscle. On leash, she pulls like a friggin' DRAFT HORSE!

But, when she reaches out and puts a paw on my arm and engages that dewclaw, and it is sharp, she just rips me open. It's completely accidental, (or innocent, you might say?) but I'm on my second box of band aids!

My parents raised poodles. I can say this, poodles are completely normal dogs. They are instinctively bird dogs. I don't know about Toys. but standard and the miniatures make excellent field dogs. When pups are born, we would dock tails and cut dew claws to the leg bone with a sharp scissors, when they were 2or 3 days old. This is necessary because the legs are shaved part way, and that dewclaw would be in the way. Some pups had them and some didn't, front and back legs. I used to trim poodles and am very good at it, they look like a million bucks when I'm done.

Anyway, Tillie needs to be throttled, she's a barrel of pure energy. But she's sweet, & good natured and I don't want to curb the enthusiasm. But, man, can she flex and engage that damned dewclaw!

Thanks for hanging in there with this trivia!
Good hunting. El Bee

PS by the way, we went to the dog park yesterday. She draws a crowd! (dogs) and other owners always ask about her, totally puzzled? But they can tell that she is a purebred, and not some Heinz 57 variety. Many people say she's beautiful and I can't disagree?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2020 09:03 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Just trim the claws as you would any nail get rid of the hook! my dogs make me bleed daily just in greeting me ! My arms are are a mess.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2020 04:57 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Keep them trimmed up.
Dew claws need to be taken off at a very early age. Like before the eyes are open or close to that age.
A lot of dogs have the rear dew claws taken off and leave the fronts on.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted January 13, 2020 06:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
True, I have cut out quite a few dewclaws, always when only a couple days old. edit: be sure to dig in and get the stub, leaving it half amputated!

People that don't know what they are doing shouldn't dock a dog's tail! You only clip the last 1/3 because that's where all the growth is. If you cut proportionately where you think it should be, your pup is going to wind up with a stub so short, you will be walking and staring that butthole in the face, forever. Give him something to wag!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 13, 2020, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2020 08:44 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Almost daily, I wish I had taken my dog Mic to get his removed when he was a pup. He literally uses them as an opposable thumb and with great strength. My old man thin skin rips so easily, Im cut to ribbons at least once or twice a month.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2020 09:30 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
If hunting hard or problems take some Vet Wrap and wrap around the dew claws to keep them from being ripped off or close to it or playing.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters