The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Looking for that hunting challenge of a lifetime?... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Looking for that hunting challenge of a lifetime?...
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2018 03:28 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
A pop up in the corner that'll work when the goats are disturbed they will run the fence line , bingo challenge over !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2018 05:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Stormy Daniels kind of crack whore? Let me think about it.

But, when you said African animals in Texas, (and there are also a bunch of Indian antelope, by the way) I immediately was thinking of African big game hunting as in South Africa. They certainly have fences, high fences. But, where I was, I did not have a "canned hunt" feeling about it. And, thanks to warthogs, the various animals are difficult to keep confined. They dig under the fences and quite large animals that can't jump an 8 ft fence are capable of crawling under one. And, this is a happy situation because almost all hunters have warthog on their bucket list and the farmers, land owners are happy to provide warthog hunting at nominal cost and flexible bag limits.

Personally, I never had a raging desire to hunt Africa, nor have I ever had the means to hunt the big five, but along with what ko ko was saying, once you get past the travel considerations and the technical stuff, in my opinion, a man can hunt (as I did) 8 or 10 different species in 13 days for less money than a Alaskan or Canadian sheep or bear hunt.

It has been said that there exists, in Africa, less wilderness than here in the lower 48, which is hard to believe, but true. In many African countries, the locals would have very little chance of encountering a wild animal. This is why, when they come south from Mozambique, they are in South Africa, but in the middle of the 300 mile Kruger National Park and never seen again, because the lions having learned that natives are much easier to catch than Cape Buffalo. Also, Europeans that insist on getting out of their cars to photograph sleeping lions pay the price. Nancy freaked out one morning when I got out to pick up a tortoise, it was kind of exciting in a shoplifting way. And, to prove that Americans are just as stupid as Europeans, I actually had a baboon reach across me through an open window and grab a damned banana! The guide nearly had a heart attack! Everybody has heard that a baboon has longer fangs than lions, right? Also, believe it or not, they are one of the more difficult trophies in all of Africa and one I wanted and didn't get, but not for lack of trying. Not to mention baboons and warthogs and jackals are just about the only game without a fee of some sort.

I never seriously considered going back but it was a very interesting experience and as I mentioned, South Africa doesn't conger up the canned hunt scenario, certainly not the same as "Hunt of a Lifetime, in New Mexico". The very worst part is the travel. Try to imagine a flight consisting of TWO 10 1/2 hour legs with a 4 hour delay in Amsterdam? A couple of Zombies arrived in Johannesburg! It's a brutal trip and if I ever did it again, (but I won't) it would have to be in First Class. I've only flown first class once in my life, and arrived in New York from Amsterdam drunk! Which had to do with three different liquors served with each meal; I'm not a serious drinker, at all.

Anyway, be careful of the flight to Africa, it's brutal.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS While I was in line at the McDonalds, upstairs, a representative from KLM came to the boarding area & inquired quite publicly, "Mr Bosinski, please report to the ticket counter with your unloaded firearms". Only about 500 people stared at me when I returned with my Egg McMuffins, and Nanc tried to pretend that she didn't know me. (just kidding)

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31461 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2018 07:12 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am Shocked, shocked I tell you that I just learned Vic is a Mormon! [Smile] Not really, I couldn't GAF who is a Mormon or not.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2018 08:01 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Only for clarification, those are sheep, not goats. Blackbelly sheep are classified as a hair sheep, obviously because they do not have wool, like wool sheep most are familiar with.
Easy way to tell the difference is two physical differences easily seen are the tails, which sheep have tails that hang down and are usually docked by growers, so you never see them, but sheep naturally have a longer hanging tail. Goats have tails that they hold up and are short compared to sheep.
Sheep have scent glans at the corner of the eyes close to their nose, goats do not.
I know, minor point, but one worth knowing if your in a conversation about goats and sheep with someone who knows the difference.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2018 03:53 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You couldn't pay me enough $$$ to hunt Africa.
Well...Ya could, but it'd be an outrageously prohibitive sum...

And, goats are friggin' delicious! Had an ex who's dad was 'off the boat', and he'd make special trips with his goombahs just to get fresh goat meat. Man, they make good gravy...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2018 05:08 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I am picturing you (Fred) saying "Goombah" with that NY accent, sounding like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. <LAFFIN>

I have a friend that used to go to Africa for hunts. He even hunted with Ted Nugent, which I thought was pretty cool. He tried to get me to go. But Africa scares me now. Just like Ole Mexico does.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2018 05:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Victor, you had the chance to clear this up and, as usual....well, ya didn't.

Are you of the Mormon faith? Not that I care but I "thought" you gave the impression that you were not a man of faith? I'm trying to imagine you in an apron.

As far as eating goats, with so many choices out there, it will be a long time before I try it.

Good hunting. El Bee

I'm a Catholic, by the way. Almost the same thing, right? Try and find a pole who isn't Roman Catholic.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2018 06:06 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Leonard so many choices out there. No interest on my part either.

Beef it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2018 06:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
EXACTLY

edit: I told this several years ago but Dave wasn't around then.

Anyway, during the preparations for my African hunt, the subject of food came up and I treated it casually. He wanted to know what I liked to eat and I figured like everybody else. I said Oh...I like a steak and breakfast? You know, bacon and eggs, the usual. Didn't know what else to say and I didn't interpret the question as asking me for a complete 13 day menu, but it turned out, that's exactly how he took it. He served me steak for dinner every single day and for breakfast, every single day, it was bacon and eggs. The first morning he brought in a tray and I poured coffee, added a half a spoon of sugar and some milk, a medium amount. Thereafter, for 12 days, he brought me my coffee already fixed the exact way I made it that first morning. He was paying attention! LB

[ August 05, 2018, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2018 07:39 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn that sounds like a good routine to me !!

Tacos for supper tonight along with the neighbors fresh corn on the cob. Cows & goats dined on more stalks.

Bacon & eggs from my own hens in the am. Probably grill a steak tomorrow night for supper.

Yum !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2018 06:40 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
When I raised dairy goats I used to sell the males I would put a sign on the street in front of my little truck farm Said Chivos they were gone same day within an hour ! They love their barbacoa ! I know well the difference between goats and sheep but not sure TT does.

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2018 08:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I must be missing something.
When I was hunting Catalina I would bring goat meat back with me. The experienced guys just laughed at me.
Even the backstraps tasted like a fart smelled no matter how I fixed them.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2018 09:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Soooo... how did those backstops compare to coyote? Better, same, not as good? I give you credit for trying to eat it. I wouldn't.

I think I have heard accounts of hunters eating coyote and vomiting almost immediately? That good?

I admit to being a finicky eater of exotic flesh. Getting back to Africa, there are several resort complexes scattered within the huge Kruger National Park, with very large restaurant facilities, kinda like pavilions. But the interesting part is the menu contained a very large assortment of wild game meat from animals within the park borders. Seems that a lot of foreigners are very curious to taste this exotic meat. One thing I was aware of is that the meat didn't come from within the park because I met the guy that hunted those animals and sold the meat to the park. He was also a knife maker and I had him build a knife for me with the scales/handles I provided from one of my warthogs. I did that with a zebra drum and a fly swatter made from the tail of a black wildebeest. I was just looking for oddball trophies and I did some European style skull mounts too, same reason.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ August 06, 2018, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2018 11:06 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, dog is eaten all over the world so why not coyote ???
Well, I'll tell you why not. IT TASTES TERRIBLE !!!

Not sure which is worse; coyote or Catalina goat. Sorry that I'm even thinking about it and may need to wash the memory of the taste out of my mouth with a Rum Chata Fireball. (Two shots of each over ice !!! ) [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2018 11:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I notice my so helpful spellcheck converted BACK STRAPS for me when I wasn't paying attention.

"backstops"?

[ August 06, 2018, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2018 01:13 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Goat is excellent eating, but it must be young goat, just like lamb. Mature goats and sheep, both have a pretty strong taste to them. I really like lamb, cooked rare of course, and kid goat the same, that is grilled though, cooked other ways where the meat is fall apart tender, they are both very good.
I usually raise a couple lambs every year, two cut up provide just enough to last thru the year.To my mind it has a hint of venison, my son says the same thing, but it does have a taste some just don't like and Im not sure why?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2018 02:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In my case, I just don't like strange tastes, no matter how people try to convince me that it's great. It's a concept thing, Alligator might be very good eating but the animal looks vicious, and it's a dinosaur survivor. Ugh. I guess I'm a pussy? Anyway, what's wrong with beef, maybe chicken?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2018 03:34 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
What Mr. Vic said about goats, they gotta be young ones!

I've been eating enough fresh sashimi lately that I prolly glow in the dark from elevated mercury levels. Thankfully, have enough corn fed venison in the freezer to break the monotony. Friggin LOVE deer meat, maybe that's why I dig lamb & goat, too? Same difference, kinda, sorta...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2018 03:24 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You no what's funny, is that I grew up dirt poor and never ate sheep or goat. Now don't get me wrong I would have ate it if we had it. Grew up eating beef, pork, and anything wild that we could get. Didn't eat no possum or skunk though. Strange how location plays a roll in what people eat. Around here in Pawnee county you never seen a goat or sheep, just beef or pork.

[ August 08, 2018, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2018 03:25 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My male Chivos were all sold months old for barbacoa never sold an old goat , I have eaten it not a fan nor do I like lamb it had an after taste that was not pleasing to me! I think I was raised on beef and that's what I like I think if I had been raised eating various meats I would like them all. But remember everything tastes like chicken and chicken tastes like shit ! never eat any meat from a market you don't know where its been !
Dave Warren is up this weekend gonna go kill some shit he says Hi to all , Mouse Dipper to all you coyote gods guys !

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2018 03:26 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Cant keep my puter from double posting not sure if its me or the site every time I hit the back button it posts again, Fred Help!
I am a digital cripple !
someone come take these things away from me !

[ August 07, 2018, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2018 07:22 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul;
Try this.
After you post, instead of hitting 'back' scroll up to the top and hit 'forum home'.
Might help. No guarantees.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2018 08:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, everybody's double posting. [Roll Eyes]

I don't think you have to do anything after posting. If your provider or your computer is that slow, don't try to help it along by clicking on any buttons.

good hunting. El Bee

edit: my computer says: "sit tight, we are taking you back, etc."
so I don't know why you folks are trying to navigate? It should take you back automatically to view the thread in which you just posted, as in automatic.

edit: PS It's no big deal though. Don't worry, I can very easily delete double posts. I'd like to help but I really don't understand the problem?

[ August 07, 2018, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2018 08:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I just remembered what I was going to say, in the first place!

About goat having an "aftertaste". If that is anything like the aftertaste I get from any kind of DIET SODA, I completely understand! I will not ever drink diet soda unless it's an accident! How in the hell can people stand that stuff?

Also, I think diet soda is what makes people fat! Because it's all fat people that drink that shit and look at them!

Drink diet soda, get fat!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2018 07:26 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
I think there has been several studies that show diet soda does make one fat. It has something to do with how those un-pronounceable chemicals that are in that shit fools the body.

Back to goats, my dad ran a BBQ/beer joint when I was very little where he'd cook mostly pork, lamb and mutton but I remember him talking about cooking quite a few goats.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters