The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Cantankerous Old Fart Bitches (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cantankerous Old Fart Bitches
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted March 23, 2024 06:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I think you sound a bit cranky, and Ultra knowledgable. You won't get away with that here and you know it.

Tooting for the best machine and the best sounds is a personal opinion not a fact so please refrain from portraying these things. It's a strictly Ford/Chevy and if you think you know what's best, you might get another opinion from somebody in the Peanut Gallery.

Besides, I thought that certain callers and Studio Quality sound is just a choice and if you are happy with one, that's great. It's good that you believe in your gear.

This MFK person. Was he sensitive about what? I\Or me or what the hell was he so sensitive about? Timid men can't handle the 'net, and that's too bad. Sorry to see him gone, although I do not remember him right now. Sorry!

But lighten up before you scare away some of the paying customers. Speaking of which, where's ko ko?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ March 23, 2024, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 07:28 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim is very Narcissistic. Just listen to how he talks. I just didn’t open my eyes while using the three different callers. But of course he is the Authority and knows why even though he’s never even called with me, it’s just that way because I said so. Cal and Scott couldn’t get them problem coyotes by calling so they had to resort to the plane. But not me by damn I would would take my trusty WT caller and take them all out and save the cost of flying it. And he’s always got a bullshit answer for everything. But Tim I concede you are a Legend in your own mind. Now back to more important things like watching paint dry.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 08:46 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Not authority just saying I can see the difference whether you agree or not. Like I mentioned to Leonard on another thread I'm trying out a new photo hosting site and have a bunch of vid.s on coyote behavior and shows you right there what's real or not, no smoke screen just way it is.
Yes ford? chevy comparison! thing is I'm comparing them basically side by side or on same coyotes over and over. I won't go out and buy a F-P but if I had one it be right there as well and recorded on film.
I also made two stands with group of coyotes and did have both callers with me at same time and I did kill a coyote each time. I'll leave rest up to you. Also not telling anyone to go buy a WT just saying, some don't know what they missing.

[ March 23, 2024, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 08:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a simple question. How many coyotes does one kill in a year? (don't need a exact number) How many coyotes killed following year from same area? Maybe go so far as a five-year avr. on how many kills a year? Its only time when numbers actually mean something.

--------------------

MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 03:30 AM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did Bill hurt your little feelings? LOL
Not in the least. You see, for him to bother me he’d have to be relevant, which he never was. I sure must have hurt his feelings though. Unsolicited ranting and raving emails were just the start of his infantile antics. His final juvenile attempt to attack me was to ban me for life from getting a wt caller. That sure helped his business though. Stupidity at its finest.

So, since he wanted attention, I posted an email bm had sent to me online for all to see. Of course, the little mindless wt minions were upset, but bm wanted attention, so I gave it to him.

I’m sure that he never quite figured out exactly what happened after that. LOL!

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 05:29 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Well you seem awful bitter yet about it and still having a grudge so he must of hit a nerve as well. Have good day.

--------------------

MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 06:02 AM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
There’s nothing to be bitter about at all. Just stating what happened. Nothing more, nothing less. Any conclusions, better yet delusions on your part, are just that.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 06:47 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever. I have to ask why would you want a WT anyway? The TOA is big and bulky and remote don't have a screen like F-P or L.D., it's too loud for calling so why would anyone want one?

I was banned by WT at one time as well but for different reasons. Bill lifted the ban, and I got my caller and then some. So, he can't be all bad. LOL

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 06:57 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the early 2000's, everyone had a bill martz train wreck story. I had one of his monsterous 17 pound backpack callers, the zippered cordura nylon cover that held the caller had a zipper around the edge to access caller. That fucking zipper was literally sized like the ones on the plastic covers that hold a bedspread you buy at wallmart, very small,light and fragile.
After a bit of use, obviously the zipper on my caller case gave out, skipping teeth, snag, and jump the track, making it useless. I made several civil attempts to correspond with him to get a new case, fell on deaf ears of course.
I then took to one of the forums du jour to bash him with his own medicine. He loved to use the phrase "toy quality" to describe the Fox Pro caller, so I turned it on him, describing the zipper on his caller case as being toy quality and outing him for not standing behind his product like Fox Pro did theirs.
Man, did that put me on his shit list, personal attacks, nasty PMs and emails, everything but a new fucking case.
Was a good caller, I liked the sound, but in truth, after switching to Fox Pro, I soon realized there was no difference to the coyotes. I did pirate one sound off the WT, a cottontail sound that I still have and use, and yes, it works just as good on the FP as it did on the WT.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 09:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The previous post by Victor seems truthful and knowledgeable.

I never did figure out BM? He seemed to be a genuine sociopath. I heard from a credible source that he was denied entrance to Canada because of a criminal record, but never learned exactly what he was convicted of? But, I bet he had a red ass, being turned around at landing in Saskatoon!

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I have only casually examined a WT caller. As far as the technical aspects, I don't know and don't care to argue the point. BUT. Also addressing Victor's comment above, what I did notice about apparent quality, which should have been apparent and obvious to anybody with an eye for quality. Yes, a WT has the appearance of junk, lot's of components look obviously cheap. Other than that I have hunted with a couple fellows that used one and okay, we called a few coyotes, hardly a huge endorsement since a Johnny Stewart has called a hell of a lot more coyotes, in their time. All of which when I think back to the cassette player I used years ago , and the Motorola Tape Deck that I used a hell of a lot as well. They all work, and then we start slicing it very thin. It's a useless argument, folks. LB

[ March 24, 2024, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 10:51 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saying but Bill never made cases/bags for the caller so if zipper wears out it's his fault? and caller was bought used?

[ March 24, 2024, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 11:32 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, this WT caller predates your experience with them. The caller indeed came with a case. It was to heavy to carry in the traditional sense, it had backpack shoulder straps, WT logo etc.
I understand you've been doing this shit a few years, but some of us were way ahead of you on the curve.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 12:40 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a place where we have been hunting for the past 19 years and it is 106,000 acres of public ground. We go there every year at least one time and sometimes twice. The first two years were learning years and there was lot of coyote sign. We very seldom ran into other coyote hunters, if ever, and once we became familiar with the lay of the land, our three day trips would result in 10-15 coyotes. A couple times we shot 20.

Then things changed about 5-6 years ago. The amount of sign decreased, but only slightly. We did see a few more callers, but again this was only a slight increase. The big difference were the number of bird hunters now in the area. It appears there has been a dramatic increase in the quail and pheasant population, so now these hunters were walking the hillsides. In the beginning, we could almost always have answers to our howls and either call them in or move on them.
Now it is very hard to get any coyote to howl in the daylight. The number of hard-chargers is almost nonexistent.

My FP caller has foxpro,minaska,WT,MFK,Johnny Stewart, Tony Tebbe, and LD sounds. I try not to shoot the same hole in the sky twice, so I have been trying them all. One of my friends has a LD and he called all stands exclusively on one trip. The results were the same. 1-2 coyotes shot per day. I own a WT caller and if I had used it on a few trips I highly doubt the results would be any different.

It all boils down to the amount of pressure on the coyotes. This pressure does not have to come from a predator caller. It can be bird hunters tromping across the countryside. It can be a rancher feeding cattle and I don't even have to mention deer season. Now that everybody has thermals, this pressure is suddenly turned into 24/7. Although illegal on this piece of public ground, I have seen sign that indicates thermals are in use.

So for me it is the coyotes, not the caller that dictate success.

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 01:02 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Randy makes a great point about coyotes and pressure. They are the most adaptive animals I know of. I think all these Thermal guys posting pictures of large numbers of killed coyotes will see all to soon that the coyotes will adapt to this too. And the pictures will have less and less coyotes in them. I have found in recent years going back to good old hand calls has produced more coyotes than Ecallers.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 02:30 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
You answered it yourself Randy, the numbers are down. Sure some pressure from bird hunters so the coyotes just move farther back into their terr. during the day, maybe look there as well. Here they always been hard to call and good luck on getting a daytime coyote to come in or howl. But at night its another game weather area was hunted in day by bird or deer hunters the coyotes will still respond with vocals or just come in. Some of the places I hunted in S.D., you been there. Some pastures see alot of calling pressure, but they still respond if you calling to them from the start. Some areas just like with bird hunters the coyotes move out to the outer fridges or may even lay up on another property. Many variables there..
See you have a big library, that many sounds needed? Or you just pick out ones that sound good to you or been recommended?
As for callers or sounds best take a better look and take note of a coyotes reaction, might see something you never seen or noticed before. Just say is all. have good day.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 02:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad take a look at where the guys are from with the big kill numbers and using thermals. They just skimming and still will have big numbers the next year because they have big numbers to play with. 15–25-minute stands are just skimming and may only account for what 60% of the population? All thermal does is allow a guy to call at night when many of their coyotes are up and about and have less fear about moving around and allows one to call to coyotes that won't venture out during daylight.
Iowa also has tough daylight calling and why TT moved to N.M.. Mo. also has difficult daytime calling I think Shaw can agree to that since he lived there. Thermal just changed the game for them so they can call when they willing to play.
At night you still need to make good stands, call where the coyotes are and have sounds, they willing to come into. Some other states also have piss poor calling in daytime and now that they can use thermal it has up there game just like mentioned and also many of them have a surplus of coyotes right now due to not being able to knock the numbers down with the old ways. Wisc. two hunters with 15-20 kills in a night, Mich. same thing. What changed? Use of thermal changed it for them. plus surplus of coyotes.

[ March 24, 2024, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 02:59 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Take it a step farther my numbers are also up here. Why? More rabbits, mice or deer? No!
Last season we got 3 feet of snow dumped on and then about 2" of rain on top of the snow then it froze. Coyotes wouldn't travel far because of the crust. The group hunters couldn't hunt much because of the crust along with deep snow. I could run my dogs much either due to the crust, it really eats the hair off the front of a dog's legs and tough on their feet. This year no snow which means the group hunters can't hunt and road hunters can't spot one sleeping on a fence line. Whats left? Thermal calling. This is the best year I had so far for thermal calling plenty of ears to call to and many many repeats. It also helps not to get a mind set/brain lock.

[ March 24, 2024, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 25, 2024 09:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just like the good old days!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 11:15 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Popcorn !!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 11:36 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they ran out of popcorn Koko, some have to resort to watching paint dry. [Big Grin]

--------------------

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 05:20 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Just read this to try out the new tag on the profile. Blah Blah. Anyways, All this about what is what is interesting and from the years I have spent calling in coyotes from the west coast, being from British Columbia to all the western states I never needed a real reason to get an e-caller. The ol store bought call with an ole Wintress or the newer JC reeds always worked well in the day time or the night time. And I am not a keen night caller but have done it. I just found that any distress sound worked. To me it was all in the feeling you put into the call. Open reed or closed reed. Maybe I am wrong but for me it has worked for over 50 years of pursuing the neatest little critter I ever hunted.
Time and just plain experience under adverse conditions seemed to be important, and just HUNTING basics always worked. I sure don't claim to be so good at it but I always managed to get hundred more or less every year for years and years of mainly daytime calling. And when Ron and I did our little test, because we had a bet going, I really did outcall his overpriced fancy FoxPro almost 2 to 1 on our coyotes in Nevada. Maybe because every mothers son had a FoxPro and used it thinking all they had to do was drive out and turn it on. But that was a few years ago and in a Galaxy far away.
And that's just my feeble cheap ass view of it all.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2024 05:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Walt, you make me think for a bit. The thing about hand calls, in the first place is they are in one respect, "NATURAL" and it's because the realism you impart is humanly necessary. You have to pause, and breathe and you get tired and you get a second wind after stopping for as long as you "feel" like it and then you get a little more feeling strictly based on how you are feeling, and all of these human induced pauses add to the realism of what a rabbit, or any critter is going through; in a life and death encounter or fight to the death. And every thing you do isn't scripted, it varies with how you feel and how much you put in to it. Because, hand calling is work, it leaves you breathless, you have to take it easy, and you get to start in again, and you never really think about what you did 15 minutes ago, it's all different and un-staged and you are reinventing your sequence is a different way and every stand is an original performance.

Anyway, that's what I think.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2024 07:53 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can say most everyone here has started on hands calls before moving to E-callers. Sure, with hand calls you can mimic a rabbit or vole mouse or deer and sound like the actual critter. Now days E-callers have actual live recordings of a prey distress that has the same amount of feeling put into as a hand call so what's the diff's.
As for Walt's case with competing against his buddies F-P back in those days, F-P was mostly hand call recording to start with that someone donated to them. So Walts rabbit screams sounded better than F-p recorded screams.
Years ago I spotted red fox out on hillside about a mile out and had to really lay into my hand call just to get the fox to hear enough of my calling to come in. Sure, it worked but not something I want to do all day long, day after day. Somewhere around same time frame I bought a Johny Stewart e-caller and got same results without having to blow my lungs out day after day. what's not to like?
Hand call also has its limits as to what sounds you can mimic and not everyone can blow on a hand call and sound good enough to bring target animal in. Some parts of the country just a rabbit scream not going to work or get the job done, bird distress helps but it also has its limits at times, same for Vole mouse but same on limits.
Depends where you call and how far away your target animal is, hand calls are not what I would call long distance type of caller and that's where a good E-caller shines, cover more ground and make fewer stands I say. Some areas don't have coyotes behind every bush or just down the road from another one.
I was talking with a well-known caller from N.D. and he was telling me he used two different rabbit sounds when calling. One sound is used during the day and other at night. One sound was higher pitched and travel well during day with little or no wind and the other sound was little louder and deeper and carried better than other.
During the day you have a humidity say around 60% and as the night goes and it starts to cool down some the humidity rises to 90% or more which makes the air heavier and tough for the sound to travel so you need a sound that can carry farter in those conditions, not going to get same results with a hand call. My coyotes don't like rabbit screams so that rules out a hand call again.
NOw when calling in places coyote does like the good old rabbit at times you get a coyote that keeps checking up but long as you keep calling it keeps coming in, pretty tuff to multitask trying to call and keeping coyote in the crosshairs at same time. Use what you like.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters