The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Attention, 45 ACP users VICTOR! HELLO!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Attention, 45 ACP users VICTOR! HELLO!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted December 17, 2023 09:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been spending considerable time watching videos by some of the high end 1911 makers, Nighthawk, Alchemy, Wilson Combat, Cabot Arms, etc.

Can you tell me about the barrel bushing situation? This Springfield Model 1911 A1 that I have, doesn't have a barrel bushing, it has the other device. So, why? I remember that you said that you changed out and retro fitted the old fashioned bushing on the high dollar one that you acquired. So, 'splain me?

Also, there is much discussion about the curved gadget on the back, you know what part that causes people to proclaim, (very loudly) "THAT AIN'T NO 1911!"

There is a lot about 45 Autos that I do not know? This guy Eli on Alchemy is 25 and I think he owns about a dozen high dollar 45's-cocked and locked! Meanwhile I have had my Combat Commander since 1971 and it turns out that I don't know very much at all!

Also, I know you own a slicked up S&W and compete. You let drop a while back that you bought a Glock....and you like it! WTF? And this more recent Springfield Armory. I forget the model#. So, I confused, why all this sudden diversity? Are you into bowling pins, or what's going on?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS, you might know that my first 45, given to me by my uncle who carried it on Iwo Jima and Bougainville, or was it Kawajulain? Damn, I am so sorry that I lost that piece!

[ December 18, 2023, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2023 09:50 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Springfield TRP, very nice for a production piece, very accurate, has all the bells and whistles all ready on it. All items I used to have a gunsmith fit to a stock 1911. It is actually Dorothee's pistol, she carried a 1911 when working for the Sheriffs dept and that's what she wanted for her side of the bed.
Pretty sure your pistol has a barrel bushing, maybe your asking about the full length guide rod?
Guide rods were touted as enhancing accuracy by locking the barrel up consistently, reducing recoil, don't know how that can help, but that was one of the claims. Also was said to prevent the recoil spring from bending or getting kinked.
There are more than one known pistol smiths who claim the full length guide rod is like a fishing lure, meant to catch fisherman, not fish.
Long story short, I pulled mine out, put in a standard length GI type guide rod and a nice stainless recoil spring plug and called it good. No difference in accuracy, and in hundreds of thousands of rounds thru several different 1911's over 40 years, Ive never experienced a kinked of bent recoil spring with the standard setup?
Still try to be competitive with my revolvers in an automatic world, kind of akin to Koko playing with traditional equipment instead of a compound.
Did pick up a new revolver last year, a S&W M627, has two more holes in the cylinder, so now I have an 8 shooter , pretty slick piece. I use .38 short colt brass, which is about the length of 9mm, loaded in full moon clips so I don't have to fumble with speed loaders.
I do have a glock 43X, very compact, light and carries 10 rounds, it's my "town gun" dont you know.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2023 10:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks.

No, mine has the full length guide rod and you need a hex wrench to remove it. It's a very slick piece, great trigger and very accurate, completely adjustable sights. As you said, this is very nice for a production gun but it looks like it cost a lot more than it did, just under $1200.

I don't know the theory on the full length guide rod, is why I asked. I got a little box of accessories from Wilson Combat, this shit is addictive.

Another thing. My Combat Commander's barrel shows some wear on the last lug towards the muzzle. What do you make of that? Counting from the chamber, the last lug, 3rd is a little peened on the side, (towards the ejection port side) I never noticed this before, never used any real powerful hand loads, but I'm not sure if I should stone it or what?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS you have 8 round moon clips? or 4?

[ December 18, 2023, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2023 12:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I’ve only killed two coyotes with my .45. The first one I had wounded with my 270, and thought he was hit a bell
Of a lot better than as it turned out! Or maybe he woke up, or whatever, but l chased him and he turned and fucking charged me! I had to rack the slide because the chamber was empty and proceeded to dump all seven in head and chest 230gr ball. And then I finished him with a good size rock that was handy.

The second had run right up to the truck and I hit him in the head from where I was sitting in the drivers seat. He dropped like a rock, damned near bounced! This all happened while two guys were in the back working the light and one on the gun. But the coyote was totally safe from them, couldn’t even see it right below the door. I scared the shit out of them, too.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2023 06:10 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Full moon clips, holding all 8 cartridges, with the mouths of all cylinders chamfered, I can almost just toss it in the direction of the cylinder for the reload and it sucks them right in.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2023 10:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Where on earth do you get those things? Hand made, one at a time?

I can see the advantage, though. However, what you got, a Glock 19, 17? and what do they hold, 17 rounds, or so?

Me personally, I've never even handled a fucking Glock but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion, whether it is a valid opinion or not.

They say the Glock is utterly reliable, and that's about it. They say that new police hires have never handled a gun before, and they are issued a stock Glock. Apparently, a firearm is a tool, much like a typewriter was used, back in the day by reporters....or something?

So what the fuck is this shit about Generation 5? If it's so slick, never malfunctions, why improve it? Everybody bitches about the grip angle, it's a half a degree off from every other handgun ever invented.

A SAFETY? Who the hell needs a SAFETY? I MIGHT FORGET!

Now, really, we have like a 3rd generation of police officers that fret that they do not need or want a friggin' SAFETY because in a crisis situation, they would PROBABLY forget to turn off the SAFETY, so that's a valid reason for everybody not needing a SAFETY on a handgun. And, by the way, this is the single most reason for all of those accidental discharges-they can't keep their index finger out of the trigger guard!

I dunno? Seems like they give plastic guns a bad name, as if they needed another reason? This is like BRIAN savagely, you know, the maniac that slaughtered 4 innocent college students in Moscow, Idaho. You know what I did? I went on Amazon and bought a genuine US Marine Corps KABAR fighting knife. Why did I need another knife, when I already have about fifteen knives that I'll never use anyway. Just to see exactly what it is like, and it is a handful, no doubt about it. There goes a waste of a hundred bucks. BUT, if you want to savagely slaughter and murder innocent people, this knife will get the job done, and no doubt about it!

So, that's the only rationale I have for ever buying a fucking Glock, and it's why I ask our handgun expert why he goes to town armed with a toy plastic gun? It's slightly better than nothing, chambered in, (what we are told) is the best handgun since the 1911, or the 1873, for that matter. What cartridge does Victor use in that MAN STOPPER? Who cares when you could even have possibly 17+1 hardball. If that don't work, what will?

Certainly not the winner of TWO WORLD WARS! The one designed by John Moses Browning that is carried "cocked and locked". I'm told that the average newby police officer wouldn't know how to release the safety on a 45? GAG ME!

Sorry for the ramble, I got a date.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2023 10:47 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is the 43X, very light/compact, magazine holds 10 rounds plus 1 chambered. I have a Holosun miniature red dot optic on it for my old eyes, I can actually aim precisely instead of point shoot.
I get the old adage about carrying concealed " carrying concealed is not meant to be comfortable, it's meant to be comforting " but this little setup is so light and compact, I can almost forget I am packing.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2023 06:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that’s a compact 9mm?

You know, I have a S&W M&P Shield in 40S&W.

What do you think? I personally think 9mm is on the weak side and that’s why they need 17 rounds.

However, I also have a full size XD9 and that gun is a pleasure to shoot. At paper.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters