The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Why all the reviews of foreign rifles?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why all the reviews of foreign rifles?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2022 02:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter which magazine I pick up but yesterday, it was another weird CZ rifle.

As far as I am concerned, the list is short.

We have Remington, by far my favorite!

Then comes Winchester

And Savage, lot's of different but basically the 110

Ruger. The Model 77 is perfectly fine although I have always felt that their barrels are not as good/accurate as the others. But the Mauser action is great, in my opinion.

Browning, and they can really keep their 60 degree "fast" bolt throw because with hot handloads, extraction can be very difficult.

Weatherby and Howa, I've had a couple Howa's and they are very okay. The Mark V action, of course is hard to beat.

After that, there seems to be a bunch of weird, foreign looking and expensive stuff.

And yet, in these gun magazines, that's all they talk about. And, we do not need any of those odd looking rigs, I don't care about "fine" German engineering, we do not need any Spanish or Italian or whatever European weird looking rifles. Period!

It's a damned pity that Remington has been in the dog house. What the hell is wrong with those people? Really, it's the greedy asshole lawyers that have caused Remington's problems.

So, there you go, and I am so tired of all the plain vanilla chamberings. If I never see another Creedmore it will be too soon. And, I have never been enthused with 308 Winchester, I like a little more performance.

And,excuse me, but For you guys trying to bust big game at 800/1000 yards, that's irresponsible in my book. Even 500 is frowned on by me. I do not like the trend, people do not seem to comprehend how much movement an animal can make while that bullet is in flight. Even a coyote can twist his standing broadside shot into a gut shot at 200 yards.

Have you men ever thought about wind downrange? Even a gentle breeze can drift your bullet into a complete miss at 300 yards, never mind 800! Have more respect for your quarry. These ultra high BC bullets and monolithic solids? First of all solid copper bullets don't travel down the barrel as well as traditional jacketed lead core bullets, the accuracy is questionable. Not to mention the terminal expansion.

And yet, everybody, manufacturers, game departments all these people think they can save the fucking planet by outlawing lead bullets and they should not be going along with it! It's shaky science, they cannot justify this total canceling of lead core bullets. Yes, lead is toxic, but the people that make the friggin' rules just do it because it's easy to go along with whacko environmentalists. You give them a damned wedge issue and they disrupt a whole tradition for the sake of a non dangerous issue. But we are allowing them to beat us over the head with solids and it's unjustified, they can't support it and my bitch is with those that go along to get along, bending over backwards to produce INFERIOR bullets but we are just being jerked around by ENVIRO NAZIS! Resist, you fools!

End of rant!
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2022 05:15 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure but generally ......... when in doubt, ... Follow The Money.
Mayhap the foreign interests are pushing more coin toward the magazines in exchange for more ink, resulting in more sales ?????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2022 08:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that's true. But I tend towards tradition, regardless of marketing efforts that make me want a CZ rifle with a weird safety. But, again, they probably give the writer a free trip and he goes home with a free gun so that tends to alter his perspective....I guess everybody understands this?

For instance, when my Colt Combat Commander was stolen, I read an article in (I believe) Guns and Ammo and it was highly praising a new gun called the Star PD in 45Auto. I think it was made somewhere in South America, so the review was VERY favorable and I bought one. It was okay, but by the time I had put a couple hundred rounds through it, I took it apart one day and a few of the internal parts were like bent, due to recoil. That bothered the shit out of me so I boxed it up and took it to the next gun show and sold it to one guy with a table. Then I went out and bought a Charter Arms 38Special and I can't say anything bad about it but it was stolen from my glove box at a car wash. That gun is still out there on the National database. I knew who did it, the guy that vacuumed my car but police interviewed him and he denied knowing anything about it.

Where was I? Oh yeah, I was talking about my stupidity. Anyway, I bought a Lady Smith Model 36, I believe? I used to carry it, actually bought for my wife for when I was away. She even qualified with it, proudly showed me her target and I suppressed a smile. But I loaded it very hot, and she would have "EEKED" instead of firing a second shot. lol There was nothing wrong with the Charter Arms piece but the Lady Smith is a nice little gun....It sit's in my daughter's closet probably has not been fired in almost 18 years, but I guess it provides her a sense of security, even if she is like her mother and when push comes to shove, she might haul it out but if scaring the perp away didn't work, it's doubtful that she would actually shoot someone?

Getting off track but anyway, reviews, in general are always positive and in that case, should be suspect. For instance, a Star PD is not a Colt, in spite of rave reviews. I have never owned a Pre '64 Model 70, but I suppose it lives up to it's reputation? However. I have never felt inferior venturing into the woods with a Model 700. My 300 Mag is hard to beat by anything more recent; and I bought it used in the very early 70's, tricked it out with a McMillan stock, it's everything I will ever need in a big game rifle.

Anyway, some of the dated stuff is quality and I have no impulse to buy a newfangled CZ rifle, I've already got more rifles than I need. After all, they say it's a mature market,I will leave the definition of that to you, the Peanut Gallery.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2022 03:22 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
My first rifle was a .308 feather weight. My dad paid $60 for it. Have used it.
My second rifle was a Weatherby Vanguard .270. It's okay but kicks like a mule and haven't used it in years.

My last rifle is a Browning long range 6.5 CM with muzzle brake. Doctor said it was the biggest I can shoot from now on. No 300 mags with this new shoulder.

Don't like shooting 500 yards on elk but did it last year only shot I had. I won't shoot any farther even though I can.

I shot the .223 one shot to see how the shoulder would react no pain.
One shot out of the 6.5 and no pain.
Shot a grouse the other morning with a .410 had some muscle ache that evening. Don't know if it was the way I held it?

So you don't like 6.5cm I'm okay with it. I don't like 9mm pistols
or 300 win mags and so forth. I don't own them and don't have heart burn over it. We own a Tikka .223 it's okay shoots great but I really don't like the cal. Shot a 22.250 for to many years. Have 2 .204s one is a Tikka bolt and the other is a R-15 which I can't stand. Not a semi auto person I found out. So don't even use it anymore.

Everyone has their pets and their likes and dislikes. So I won't shove my 6.5 up your nose.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2022 10:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's like plain Vanilla and a 308 is in my same bunkhouse. I prefer performance in a rifle. and tradition counts for something so there will never be any flies on a 270. If I ever rebarrel my Model 600 in 6mmRemington, I may go with 257Roberts. Yes, bullets and seating depth makes it somewhat limited, but you start out with 100 grainers and that's pretty much where the 6mm leaves off....and yes, I know Speer makes a 105gr. That's what I used in Africa. To good effect, also. Everything from Kudu to Warthog, and in 13 days I never uncased the 300. Go figure? But, besides that special occasion, I always used a 100 gr. Sierra on Mule deer. Yes, I love that rifle and have killed a fair number of coyotes with it, too. But usually with the 85 gr. Sierra. That's the problem with seating depth in a short action. And that's the only reason, as far as I can determine as to why the Creedmore's are so popular. Even though most of these dudes don't handload anyway, but what pisses me off is that now they all think that they are 500 yard competent, and before, with a 308, they never shot past 300!

I actually think the whole friggin' long range bullshit is bogus! Gun writers are guilty of several "trends" and one being TACTI-KOOL everything, and the other is;

"Look deep into my eyes; you too, can take big game out to 1,000 yards if you use an approved cartridge!" Just keep ringing that gong from a prone rest and you too can be successful! Just remember this: Tis' many a slip, twixt the cup and the lip! Now, sally forth, Nimrod!

Like they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink! I could be wrong, but that's my opinion of the Creedmore cowboys! lol

Good hunting. El Bee

[ September 05, 2022, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2022 04:15 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We have a 257 Roberts, 243, 6mm that was built by the other half father years ago.
I finally have my moms 6.5 x 55 sweet Mauser rebuilt by my dad. It's to pretty to use now a days.

Other half bought a CVA with a bergara barrel on it in 6.5 cm it's a tack driver. Didn't pay that much for it. We've been using the ELD-X bullets in 143gr. They are tack drivers and group well in the 6.5.

When I first bought the Weatherby I really wanted a 25.06 but my dad talked me out of it. So ended up with the .270.

Everyone have their likes and dislikes and their pets.
Hunting wolves you need more power than the 22.250 and something that can have knock down power out to 500 yds.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2022 09:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You have me paying attention mentioning 25'06. Maybe it's not a serious elk rifle, but it's perfect on mulies. I solved the bullet question a long time ago with 100 grainers the most versatile, deer and coyotes. The problem has always been that nobody makes match bullets for 270 or 25'06, but what selection you do have is marginally adequate, it's just not going to win any Benchrest trophy.

Let's just say there is a certain "cachet" in a name. Some chamberings denote magic, like "Swift", 30-30, or even "Lapua Magnum" but, I'm sorry, Creedmore does not yet evoke MAGIC.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ September 06, 2022, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2022 03:45 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Think I've had most every action Leonard mentioned and a few he didn't.
Few savages which where very accurate but guns were crap.
Rem.s model 7's, 700's and pair of XP-100. XP's was my favorite and both accurate from factory. Over all good guns in my book for factory builds.
Interarms mini mark, small actions. actions little rough but nice shooters and fun to build off them with 223 size bolt head.
Ruger; can be hit and miss, had one shoot tiny groups and other not worth a dam. I like there safetys. Had a ruger ranch rifle semi-auto not worth a crap or even pay to try to make it better.
Sako for 223 based cases best little action out there and nice shooters as well.
Browning they equal to a savage and hit and miss accuracy wise, they make nice pistols though.
Custom actions I love the stiller action a clone to a rem. 700 for custom builds, its got it all.
Bagarra another clone of a rem. 700, I like mine for night time shooting, little heavy but its nice to have the extra weight when its -10 out at night.
Winchester, mostly lever actions and no complaints with them.
Every rifle I had was chambered in 22 centerfire(22-250, 17 cal, 243, and 6mm HLS ) anything larger in cal. don't interest me, just like large cal. handguns, no itch here.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2022 02:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I could have named a few more, even though I never actually owned a true benchrest action, a blueprinted Model 700 can turn in some respectable scores. And, when you get right down to it, a match barrel can make anybody look good.

What makes an accurate shooter? Takes a certain amount of talent. Takes some knowledge of the discipline. Sometimes a little luck can help.

But with your knowledge of your equipment, the ability to choose strong components and control of breathing techniques and being observant, noting conditions between you and the target, wind direction, are the leaves turning over at intervals downrange, is mirage a factor?

Acquiring accuracy equipment is half the battle. Knowing when to shoot at game is an acquired skill. They typically do not stand around forever.

Once you know all this stuff, now you need innate skill, or talent. Some people can shoot bug holes all day long but they choke up when they are looking at a trophy buck through the scope. Knowing the creature's habits is important. Yes, you must not dally, but rushing the shot needlessly is also one of those reasons why some of us will never be considered a good shot. For others, it's routine, they don't get spooked, yet take their time when they can afford to do it. Some people are just naturals but do not despair, you can learn to be a competent shot on game. But, don't kid yourself, be honest about your abilities.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2022 04:26 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, when you get right down to it, a match barrel can make anybody look good.
True Leonard but like you said farther on you still need to know where to point it and when to squeeze the trigger. I remember a few times I'd shoot coyotes at 200yards out still moving into the caller, some would ask why you shooting them that far and still on the move? Simple answer, because I can. Its a shot I felt most comfortable with, so I took it. Sure farther out things can get iffy but if the critter is where I want it to be and I feel comfortable then game over for them. Up close is doable just don't like them that close to many things can go wrong.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2022 06:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that is true. My attitude, hunting at night with a light; take the shot the first time he stops. If it's 250 and you have a clear shot, do it.

I kinda feel the same way on coyotes in close. They have a way of turning your sure thing chip shot into a clean miss as he dives into cover. I hunted a whole season with a guy once. Yeah he was a damned good hunter, but I always felt that he would let the animal come in and keep coming and getting ridiculous, after letting perfectly good opportunities pass by, just so he could dump them at shotgun ranges. But he was using a 270, and he loaded so hot that he kept a ballpeen hammer on top to hammer his bolt open! That doesn't make for a quick second shot due to a bad hit. Hey, he was a hell of a gung ho hunter, but a few of his quirks kinda made me nervous. I only remember a handful of times he had to actually use that hammer; but still! He's a well known guy up in Utah, these days, I see his name in print once in a while. Another thing: he would smoke an entire carton of Kools over a 3 day weekend. He was lucky, too. Good at everything, a good partner. I haven't talked to him in years. I'm going to googlr him, see what pops up?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2022 06:00 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm going the opposite way of everyone else as I get older and more infirm. Being retired on disability since last November, my knees are causing me less pain but walking any real distance anymore is no longer an option. I'm lucky to live where you can park close and walk not too far for a decent setup. My gunner and I laugh at the irony that we choose locations now where we can drive to the dead coyotes rather than donkey them cross country back to the truck.

I've got a friend who won the World a couple times and he uses a shotgun 99% of the time. Here in central Kansas, we have a lot of overgrown thickets where the paranoid coyotes hole up and refuse to come into the open more and more as the season progresses. Meet them where they are. I decided to take a fresh look at getting capable at calling coyotes a helluva lot closer than most of you guys like by finding small, open areas (think 30 yards across) in the middle of a big cedar thicket and calling them into my lap. Haven't gotten the chance to do this yet, but will be hitting it hard this season. Spent last year's paltry fur check on a Turkish Radikal NK-1 bullpup 12 gauge. Semi-auto with an 18-inch barrel. Kinda funky looking firearm but I'm excited at seeing what it can do. Been breaking it in with high brass duck loads. They send 3 choke tubes and the tightest of the three still gives me a 20-inch pattern at about 35 yards shooting 3-inch, #4 buckshot. Having that breech and barrel in direct line with your shoulder makes it kick like a mule, but it'll fire faster than you can pull the trigger.

Comes with a 5-round magazine and I got a second one, just in case. They thought this out as the mags have receiver grooves on the mag base to attach them to the rails on the forearm. Put a red dot scope on it and I'm ready to go.

Have had it out twice so far. One was when the local constabulary was dispatched to a burglary in process three doors west of my humble abode. I was in the shop banging around when the call came out and cops started coming from all directions. Had my castle well protected, again, just in case.

The other time was when a young man went online threatening to shoot civilians before killing himself. Local LEO's went into active shooter mode. He was in the country within 2 miles of a lady friend's farm according to his cell phone. I grabbed FAFO (my name for it, stands for Fuck Around and Find Out) and my AR and stood guard over her at the end of her driveway. State trooper who was part of the search for the guy checked me, saw FAFO, and commented that I appeared to have that spot covered. Even had several cops come by the house just to see it. Should have sold it with a coupon for butt wipe because I'll bet that anyone I'd ever have to point it at will most certainly shit their pants. The next morning, she told me she was fine and that she had her own gun. I went Crocodile Dundy and sent her a pic with the message, "That's not a gun. THIS is a gun!"

I'll be focusing on 'cats this year due to the markets but this will hurt them, too.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/radikal-bullpup-24-12-gauge-shotgun-5rd-black-nk-1.html

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters