The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » How many anneal cases?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many anneal cases?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2020 08:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have contemplated this for years, but never really felt my accuracy was suffering. Even though I know it's something that CAN'T HURT, I don't do it.

There is a service that will do it for you, mail order, I think 10 cents per case but to buy a machine will set you back a few hundred. I've never done it in a pan of water and a propane torch, either?

Anyway, it's about the only thing I don't do in the pursuit of accuracy....which is an endless pursuit with very diminishing returns.

Anybody? I'm sure ko ko probably tempers his arrows?

Good hunting. El

edit: another thing. I always get very satisfactory case life, as it is. I think it's because I always stay a grain under complete, total MAX. That's all it takes. The last split necks I got was when I had my 270. I don't get any of that stuff, like blown primers, my cases seem to last forever and I don't work them too hard. Still, annealing is a worthy pursuit.

[ February 23, 2020, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2020 12:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I have thinking about for quite a while. Comments?

https://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2020 05:20 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing about annealing.
But looks like a good way to catch your house on fire. [Big Grin]
Good luck.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2020 11:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to be motivated toward something called neck tension. Benchrest shooters respond.

If you buy and shoot factory ammunition, in most rifle applications, and all handgun, it's not a concern.

I don't think you are any more likely to burn your house down than lighting a cigar? But, you knew that, didn't you?

I'll tell you one thing, it sure is cool!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: OR, as "He who shall not be named" pointed out: those of us that form non standard cases by altering the shoulder and length and convert an existing brass case into entirely different dimensions. Some people just cannot be satisfied by what's available. To be different, they want to create something no one else has, for legitimate and also a few superfluous reasons.

But, this is how we get something like a 223Remington necked to 17 caliber and eventually it's available from the factory as the 17 Remington and someone else with take that and make the 17 Predator out of it. (Damn, I think that was the case used?) Anyway, some people tinker and you would be surprised the number of cartridges created using the 30'06 Springfield as a starting point, like the 270 Winchester.

And, it goes on and on and the number of cartridges "evolving" from other factory rounds is in the hundreds, and a hell of a lot of them done by experimenters necking up and necking down and shortening, then lengthening, like 38 Special and 357 Mag. The 7X57Mauser is the basis for the 257 Roberts and the 6mmRemington, then the 6mmRem Ackley Improved, and the list goes on. But it all starts with an available case that somebody tinkers with.

I guess the 222Remington was one of the early cartridges that wasn't descended from something else, an original design. You have heard of the 220 Russian, no doubt? And the 22 PPC? Even the 300Weatherby came by way of the 375 and 300 Holland and Holland.

I think 45ACP is an original design, so is the 10mm about 80 years later. Cartridge design is a very interesting subject with lots of history.

Rimfires have a serious problem that does not allow tinkering, but the recent factory proliferation is kind of amazing, when you think about it!

Excuse the rambling.
But there are reasons for annealing a case after it leaves the factory.
Good hunting. El Bee

[ February 24, 2020, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted February 29, 2020 08:10 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I had some cases annealed just last year for the first time ever. Have a .17 Fireball and after just 6 loadings on the cases a few of them started to split at reloading. Since finding .17 Fireball brass on a shelf and paying through the nose when you do, I decided it makes since to anneal these that I have and get as much mileage out of em that I can. And after all, I do have a good friend that has one of the fancy self feeding timed annealing machines and he offered to do them for me, as long as I keep inviting him over to shoot pdogs every summer.
Seems like a no brainer. Although I'm not sure why I am losing cases to splits after just 6 loadings, but with access to annealing, I'll just live with it.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters