The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » S&W Model 327 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: S&W Model 327
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2015 02:24 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit

[ November 16, 2015, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2015 02:37 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
?????
The Python that I got for my wife (.357) has the smoothest trigger and action of anything I've ever seen.
Just a sweetheart to shoot.

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2015 03:53 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, I can't remember who it was but I think I read it on the S&W forum. I never had a problem with the one I had either but I just couldn't fall in love with mine and it went down the road so I could search for the mountain gun I bought.

Vic, I totally understand the "had" thing. I found a pristine example of a MK2 Ruger target gun at Tulsa that I "had" and sold off years ago to buy something else. It's a shame to have been born good looking and broke. If only I were like Leonard... Anyway, the price he wanted was more than I could bare so the search continues. I've sold and traded a lot of guns in my life and only regret getting rid of a few. I guess that ain't too bad.

Gun whore... I told my daddy once that I was gonna try and own them all one day, just not all at one time.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2015 05:25 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No arguments from me, accurate statements from knowledgeable folks, but buying a new or used S&W revolver in one of the ban states is illegal unless it fits the criteria ( equipped with the internal lock & ownership transfer completed thru a FFL located in the state ). What concerns me is what happens if you are caught in possession of a NON California compliant firearm that is traced back ( by serial number ) to another person thru a seemingly legal, person to person sale? Will they arrest you or "only" confiscate the now illegal gun unless you can prove that you made the purchase before the laws changed and wasn't aware of the new laws? Anyways for the above cited reasons the internal lock isn't as bad as everyone ( myself included ) lets on .

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2015 06:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be pretty hard to trace stuff, unless it was within certain specified dates when a law was passed.

For instance, I have quite a few guns that were purchased at gun shows from people I didn't know from Adam and were probably from a different state? I also have a few that I bought in the 70's. if someone bought one from me, how would anyone know it didn't happen in the eighties?

If these (theoretical) purchases transpired since major laws have been passed, of course, (here, CA) we have to conduct it through a dealer for a $25 fee and it has to go through a background check....I guess?

That way, Hillary can sleep easy knowing laws were complied with.

I'm starting to worry about succession issues. Not sure exactly what I need to do to make sure my heirs get what I leave them?

Really, they already have us by the nuts, for trading, or selling. It's not easy.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2015 08:13 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I was contacted by a California police dept on a "misplaced" handgun appx 10 yrs ago. The questions they asked led me to believe that their records were up to date, I requested the serial number, their reply was the serial number & the gun shop name where I had purchased the misplaced gun from. The deputy was friendly & profssional even asking if found/recovered where they could forward (FFL) it to me since they knew I now lived in a free state. Point being their records went at least back to the early 70's. & yeah I got he gun back , they were decent , make me wonder what would happen today?

--------------------
mike

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2015 02:01 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If guy shops around on forums, you can still pick up real nice S&Ws, without locks, frame mounted firing pins, bad finishes and horrible actions; all for about half the price of that thing Leonard was looking at.
The lock I could do without. It is what it is. Though as mentioned, it does not effect function on the all steel 629.

The trigger on the 629-6 smoothed out after about 100 squeezes.

Bad finish? This is matter of opinion but everybody has one.

Frame mounted firing pin....I think we are all gun savvy enough on this forum to know the reason for this.

There is a lot of hate on this thread for the newer Smith revolvers.

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2015 05:04 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.

As I said, I bought one Smith with a lock, can't seem to keep one in my hand once I turn it over and see the lock. Thankfully Smith is making a few models without it now, mostly the ones meant for self defense or LE, kinda makes one wonder.

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2015 01:02 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess they are realizing the lock is an unwanted feature.

Hopefully in the future this holds true for all their revolvers.

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2015 01:10 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
49, maybe you can answer a question regarding recent purchase/legal possession of say a 20+ yr old non compliant ( no internal lock ) S&W M29 revolver. Would it be legal? meaning is there a current law in your state of residence that would allow you as a private citizen (excluding your employment) to buy and possess the 1980ish gun mentioned above? I am vaguely aware of New Yawk (city/state?) ban on any firearm capable or loaded with more than 7(?) rounds . California has a 10 round max law with a few grandfather claused exceptions, pertaining to year of manufacture/year of purchase by current owner with proof from Caif doj records. I honestly have no idea without consulting a lawyer who is versed in firearms law.

--------------------
mike

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2015 07:10 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry PP I just saw this. You are asking if the older version without internal lock would be legal in NJ?

Absolutely.

Interesting law in NY. The Federal district court in Buffalo struck down the 7 round mag capacity limit. However....in speaking with police officers from NY, they tell me only in that particular district does this apply. So when I go to NY City, like I did last year to see my wife finish the Marathon, I carried a 6 round Springfield XDs in .45 ACP.

Very complicated gun laws in the northeast...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2015 07:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and the arrogance of the people who write laws without understanding anything about guns, except they need to be highly regulated. And, Kalifornia ain't too far behind northeast states when it comes to repressive gun laws.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2015 06:47 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a 5" Classic 629 last week (no lock)
 -
Nick I'm surprised cops have to abide by the magazine law, that's screwed up. Congrats to your wife, my daughter wants me to run a full marathon with her this spring while she's still young enough...to do it. (What a about me?) anyway I'm 2 weeks into training and I have serious respect for anyone who finishes a marathon.

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2015 04:49 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice 629 Tom.

Thanks...my wife has done two NY Marathons. She finished her second at 4:09. she wanted to do under 4 hours but there was a strong wind that day, and she said she didn't eat enough in the morning. She has had knee and back surgery, so it looks like she will be relegated to half marathons now.

Yes, it's a bummer about the magazine capacity limits in NY. I keep it legal and hope for the best.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters