The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Which 1911? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which 1911?
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 04:23 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
So I've been playing with the 1911 and as usual it had a few issues (I've yet to see one run 100%) but anyway since I have to have one, my world renowned 1911smith told me to throw money at it and I did. Including a new finish.

One day while I was aggravated at the range, I was putting the clunker back together for the umpteenth time, I pulled a rookie mistake and scratched the frame. Mike, uh I mean the smith, said he could fix it.
 -
He's one fine pistol smith ain't he?

[ July 25, 2014, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 05:31 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
So here's the deal if anyone is interested. Colt Combat Commander 45 caliber shooting Rem, Win and S&B 230 gr ball ammo.

Fails to feed on the last round more times than not with me shooting it. Mike shot 3-4 mags with no problems and another guy shot 3 mags with no problems. I can get it to run now and then but then the last round fails to feed, always just the last round.

The first thing I did was order a Wolf 18# and 20# recoil spring. Did it with both springs. Bought 4 new Colt magazines, same thing.

The other guy that shot it, is a 1911 shooter and watched me shoot it. He noticed my thumb was riding under the safety and wondered if I was putting pressure on the slide slowing it down. I changed my grip with thumb on top of safety and it ran a few mags then did the same thing. Had my left thumb touching the slide stop so I changed that, same thing. Mike says I ain't limp wristing it. I did move my support hand lower and ran 3 or 4 mags with no problem but it shouldn't be that touchy.

The safety was poorly fit so I ordered a new one along with Pachmyer followers that are supposed to eliminate the last round FTF (so at least someone else has had this problem), a spring kit, Springco recoil system guide rod, a new barrel bushing, Magpul grip panels, an aluminum trigger and maybe a few other things.

Mike found several burrs and is polishing things out. Gonna bead blast the shine off it and fit everything back together. He can tell you anything I missed but if I didn't shoot the thing so well when it does shoot, I'd trade it for a plastic pistol tomorrow.

Any ides?

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 06:48 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
This pistol & it's problems (undersized & ill fitted safety) most likely came from the factory is this aggravating condition. Not a problem because I have fixed several. But! if all you want is a nice shooter and or a reliable self defense handgun, buy a S&W pistol or revolver -or- a Glock OR locate a gunsmith that you trust.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 07:43 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Good thing my gunsmith is on speed dial. [Smile]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters