The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » A Tim question; (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A Tim question;
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this, with all my little pea pickin' heart!
Everybody has a dream rifle, and this dream persists through concept and birth and so the newness wears off and since everybody is a bit delusional about dream rifles, the balloon bursts, your attention span reaches it's limit and you focus on the next concept. Right now, a certain type gets their rocks off with heavy bullets and hitting steel at amazing distances. It's a hobbyhorse, and a waste of time, you might just as well be dicking around with your playstation....where barrel life is limitless.

Anyway, as fads come and go, the 22-250 Ackley is the real deal, but that attention span stuff kicks in and there must be new worlds to conquer. I just had to give credit where credit is due. Never mind.

I don't drink and drive but I saw a tight little Model 700 at a chain gun store and had to have it. It's light compact and handy and before I even had a round fired, sent it off to be Ackley Improved because it was chambered in the plain vanilla 223Remington. Rechambering and installing a Sako extractor set me back another $500. And the barrel will still last forever and the fact that I only gained around 50 fps over factory numbers since I stubbornly stick with 55 grain coyote bullets. And it works fine but isn't perfect. But what is? Otherwise the Dream would wither and die. Yet, the vision of the "Dream Rifle" is persistent and bleeds money. There are always distant worlds to conquer!

Now, where were we? Anyway, my current confidence builder is my 22-243. Very adequate, at this stage of my career. More than adequate, realistically.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ February 18, 2024, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 10:12 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my Kyudo instructors has stated that pure perfection is impossible to achieve, rather it is the pursuit of perfection that feeds the soul.

Heavy stuff.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 10:30 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Never was the dreamer when it came to rifles, just had interest in what different caliber/cartridge combinations had to offer. That interest led me to mow thru dozens of different rifles/calibers; that interest diminished a dozen years ago when I reached a point I just wasn't getting after hunting like I had in the past.
Im 70 now, I get out after predators far less often than I did in the past. If I kill 25 in a winter now, thats doing pretty good for me. Love to hunt, enjoy just getting out with the dog, call a coyote or two and just savor the day.
I liked the 22-250 Ackley, but in the end, it was just to much gun for what I do. Used lots of different .223s' and think over all, for the day in day out average predator hunter it is probably the nut.
Had some favorites, .19 Calhoon, .19 Badger, .17 Ackley hornet was a great one, .17 remington, and the rifle Ive finally settled on for the rest of my limited time here a little short barreled CZ 527 in .17 mach4. It does everything I need and covers nicely every predator I might want to put a hole in, from little gray fox to a big coyote.
This topic makes me dig in the memory banks and recall many of the rifle combinations Ive tinkered with, was a fun ride, wish I could do it all over again.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 12:30 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother is getting ready to rebarrel a little .223 Remington model 7 he has to 17 fireball. It definitely had me wondering about doing one too but I just don’t have the number of 25 grain bullets I think I would need to make it worth while. I’ve always wanted one but probably won’t ever happen.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 12:35 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 17 mach4/ 17 fireball fits perfectly between the 17 Ackley Hornet and 17 Remington.
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 02:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I started with Rem. 788 in 22-250 and just had fox here at the time and was new to centerfire rifles. I like the 22-250 but just thought there had to be something better that wouldn't tear up the fox so bad. Talked it over with local gun dealer and he said a 17 Rem. would be a better choice, fast, flat and didn't tear up the fox as bad. I took all my fox hides in to be sold and bought one of the first 17 rem. 700 and had enough coin left for bullets, dies, and powder. Think I owned 4-5 17 Rem. at one time, loved what they did on the fox.
Went to gun shows some years later and there was a gunsmith there that specialized in 17 cal. rifles and I bought a Mini Interarms chambered in 17 Mach4.
Then the coyotes moved into the area and had some age and size to them and shot many with 17 rem.
Off to another gun show and a XP-100 caught my eye and then year later another XP-100 both in 221 f.b.
Later on took one XP-100 and had it made into a rifle chambered in 17 rem. shooting 30 gr. Golds.

At the time no one made a rifle chambered in 221 F.B. so I had one built which looked like a Rem. 700 Sendero also with fluted barrel. the 221 cartridge was accurate and not fussy with bullets.
Started going out to the Dakotas after coyotes and just needed something with little more punch to it and that's when the 22-250 ackly was born. But I didn't always need it for called coyotes but come in handy when I had a few spots where coyotes would just sit off at 3-400 yards and just howl at you. The ackly took care of those.
I still liked the 17 cal. and then one day someone came out with 17 Predator so I did little research on it and then had one built. aaaaw I liked how it performed and how hard it would hit a coyote with a 30 gr. bullet that would just fold them right up.
I tried few other odd ball cartridges over the years like the 223. 223 at times was just too much on Redfox and worked so so on coyotes but couldn't do what the 17 cal. was doing on both so it got dropped. Did load work on a 243 ackley for a buddy but hated the recoil compared to a 17-center fire and at times it was just too much on coyotes, so I never moved up.

Been looking at some of that new stuff that's out there but like Leonard mentioned its all about shooting those god-awful heavy bullets and at the moment you can't find any lighter bullets for the new cartridges. Bullets too heavy, drop like a rock and IMO you don't need a 80-100 gr. bullet for 200 yard coyote. Think I'd rather go to a 25-06 if I went that route.
Maybe take one of those new cartridges and neck it down to something more up to the job.

I didn't mention my 20x47 much but if I wanted to reach out to 800 yards on a coyote its up to the job. Its just there not much of a selection for bullets and what I have tried just blows the crap out of a coyote. Sometimes speed is just too much of a good thing atleast in this applacation.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 02:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, see, that just means that we all have a different mission.

My defense of the 22-250Ackley comes after 15 years of night shooting predators with a 220 Swift, which was fine but comes with certain chores that the 22-250 Ackley solves, pretty much. And bear in mind, fur recovery was always secondary. the kill and recovery always far more important. Also very important that it is so flat shooting at night hunting distances, (around 400yards, max) that range estimation is a lot easier.

Also, my 22-243Middlested is a very adequate performer although I can't get much past 3850 in a 24" barrel whereas my bench gun (night gun) 22-250Ackley easily gets 100 fps better because of it's 28" barrel.

Everybody has a slightly different mission, and happily, there are endless combinations. I had a partner that his latest "solution" was a very nice 280Ackley, but holding the light for him was flinch inducing. I can also say that the various Ackleys are superb performers, in almost any caliber below 30.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 02:28 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Same mission just minus the big holes.

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 06:34 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
My decision to rebarrel to .22-250 Ackley Improved was really based on Leonard’s recommendation. I was thinking of rebarreling to .22-250 as was the original barrel or 220 Swift. But with Leonard’s advice I chose the 22-250AI. Best decision I ever made. That has been a wonderful cartridge. I’ve killed hundreds of Coyotes with it and it just flat whacks the Coyotes.

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 18, 2024 10:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm flattered, my friend!

Performance wise,
the 22-250Ackley simply can not be beat!

And, if you can't get a dozen reloads from a case,
you are being foolish, and unnecessarily flattening primers!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2024 12:17 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Facts is Facts. You are spot on Leonard I’m on my 7th reload on the first 100 Lapua brass I fireformed. Should get another 7-10 more out of them. And when it’s time I will rebarrel to .22-250AI 1/12 twist again.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2024 02:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, good plan! One thing not stressed enough, is that you seldom or never have to trim to length with that cartridge. I don't mean to knock the 220 Swift, I loved it, and still have a factory Ruger chambered in Swift. But trimming to length is part of the procedure and an occasional split neck. This is because of the body taper and the shoulder angle. It's just part of doing business when reloading the Swift.

This issue just does not happen with the 22-250Ackley. I think I can say, or at least I don't ever remember a split neck or trimming a case neck to length? You will not be tossing cases because of a deformity or you 100 or 200 cases will only deplete because you might lose one or two in the heat of battle, but not due to any defect in cartridge brass.

There have been two high performance cartridges that were a bit hard on brass life, at least in rifles that I reload for and that's 220Swift and 270Winchester. It's just a fact of life.

I do not stress my cartridges, I use performance cartridges and never load to max pressures. Some people push performance. I know guys that are tossing brass after 3 or 4 loadings because they are loading to very high pressure and piercing primers and split necks, etc. If somebody is trying to squeeze the highest velocity from a cartridge, they would be better off just rebarreling to a high performance cartridge, and loading at less than max I just don't believe in shooting any rifle at very high pressures. It's hard on everything, components and barrel life and accuracy.

I can shoot a reasonably sane load in a 22-250Ackley that will far out perform a factory 22-250Remington, when they use compressed loads and all component life is shortened. It's a no brainer!

I hunted briefly, (one season) with a man that would smoke a carton of Kools on a three day weekend. He shot a 270, and it was such a hot load that he would keep a ball pein hammer up in the hatch to pound his bolt open! As I recall, he had a new model 70 Winchester, not a "pre 64" and they were, at least, built like a Mack Truck and apparently could take the punishment? I never was too impressed with that gun, but they really seemed strong, at least in appearance. They used a long action even for short cartridges by using a spacer in the magazine, but I only knew a couple guys that had one, one was a 25'06 and the other was that 270W.

Okay, I'm starting to ramble, excuse please!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2024 02:43 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
All great comments and advice for sure. I really love my whole .22-250 Ackley setup.After trying a few different scope brands over the years for it I settled on and absolutely love my current scope it’s a little compact Nightforce SHV 3x10-42mm. Holds zero very well, tracks perfectly and seems to be damn near indestructible. I’ve Loved it so much I bought a couple more for my 204 Ruger and 17 Tactical……

[ February 19, 2024, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2024 04:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't load hot but choose the powder that gives me highest vel. for the bullet used and still under safe pressures. Thats kind of where the Vitovory comes in, you have N-140 and then you have N-540 for higher performance but still safe load. Just little more vel./ energy.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2024 05:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never used the vituviori powders. Never had a reason. i think it's made in Finland or maybe Sweden?

AND, IT USED TO BE ONLY AVAILABLE IN 2 POUND BOTTLES. oops!

anyway, why?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2024 05:58 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
The only vituviori powder I’ve used is N-120 in my 17 Ackley Hornet it is pretty amazing stuff, don’t think you can get it anymore though. 12 grains of powder gives me 3800 fps with the 20 grain VMax. With no signs of pressure at all.
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2024 06:19 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Its a good powder Leonard. bonus is when all other companies dried up Vitovory was still on the shelf at selected stores.
I used N-140 and N-540 in my 17 rem, 17 Pred.,22-250, 22-250 ackley and 20x47 and got top vel. and accuracy in all of them so what's not to like about it. I think it comes in one pound, 5 pounds and keg if you need that much. Suppose to also burn cleaner but I never bothered to find out just use it and be done with it. The stuff meters pretty good also.
Reloader has a few good powders, ram shot, Hodgen and so on so same as handguns just pick what you like.
Vitovory has an assortment of high energy powder which can give you extra boost but in some cartridges you may lose little on accuracy, I got lucky and good all the way around.
Thing is I sort of picked out what bullet I wanted to use and just tailored the load around it and got results I was looking for.
always wanted to try same brand of powder in my 221 f.b. and 17 Mach 4 but H-335 tuff to beat so no need to switch.

Edit to add you have to watch what burn rate you use when shooting at night with a thermal or you get a muzzle flash that ruins the vid. LOL H-380, H-414 are good for that, maybe mag. primer would fix it as well but have not bothered to check.

Edit to add: I really like that Brux barrel I got on the ackley and the Bargara pretty nice as well.

[ February 19, 2024, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters