The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Hunting Vehicles   » wanting a new/used hunting vehicle (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: wanting a new/used hunting vehicle
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2014 09:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and ditto on the Ford hard to fix. Geezus, I had to do a small job on my mom's little car one time and before I was finished, I had practically everything out from under the hood except what I needed to fix. Oh, and replacing the fuel pump on my Suburban, one time? Forget it, I took it to the dealer. Did I mention the fucking filter inside the fuel tank?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2014 04:52 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, a lot of cars have the fuel filter inside the tank. Dodge started that in the mid 90s. There are a lot of things I don't like about newer cars. No automatic transmission dipstick. Too much chit we don'e need like Zone Air Conditioning. Doors without key tumblers, SUV hatches that work off electric latches. Try and fix a SUV latch when it doesn't work. It is a mother F^&%$r to even get the trim panel off from the inside let alone get it unlatched. To much dependency on electronics to do everything like control our braking, traction, and stability. How did any of us live to get this old riding in cars when we were young without a baby/toddler safety seat for our mothers to put us in. Most of us have driven cars with a single master cylinder system. You lose the master cylinder and you have no brakes. In 1967 they went to split systems that seldom caused a complete brake failure. We drove with no seat belts let alone a three point harness system with air bags. My first two trucks had the gas tank inside the cab right behind the seat. The big boot between the cab and the filler neck rotted out and I would get a gas smell in the cab whenever r I spilled a little gas while filling the tank. I guess we are lucky to still be alive. My concern is all this automatic crap is making a bunch of very stupid drivers IMHO. Example: The passenger door lock actuator was out on my truck and a friend of my grandson was in the passenger seat and could not figure out how to unlock the door. I kept telling him to pull the latch up. He just kept hitting the unlock button.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2014 05:09 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
AZ-I'm with ya. When, I was a parts guy in the auto business, it was funny how many folks, not to pick on women, but yeah...

They would call and say their keyless remote wasn't working, and they couldn't get into their car. I would very politely say, just stick the key in the door lock and turn.

They would usually laugh..Good times [Wink]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2014 05:34 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
AZ, thanks for clarification on the Jeeps. Tom & I have mulled over buying used Jeeps. My Nephew is who put the doubt in me over wiring/computer issues on things like turn signals, electric hatch releases etc. he says too this day... only buy a new one with a factory warranty and don't do anything to get the warranty voided. But heck! that pretty much sums up all the new suv's & trucks. I freely admit to being apprehensive in selecting a new vehicle of any brand much less something that I will use to go off road in, but a new F150 will probably get the nod when I'm able to get an acceptable deal on one equipped how I want it.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2014 08:35 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
PruneDude;
I had a Jeep CJ7 Laredo.
Bought it new and sold it at 13,000 miles.
It was in the shop more than it was in my driveway.
Then the warranty ran out............. [Mad]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2014 11:15 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo, when you sold the CJ7, did that qualify you for a "Pay It Forward" good deed?

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2014 06:16 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Prune Picker: Fords are really tough. I mean that. I wouldn't be afraid to drive a ford 150k. Their water pumps, fuel pumps and other normal parts last a really long time. I just wish they would use normal a spark plug system. It is their goal to think outside the box. The tritons had built in spark plug ejection systems that would blow the plug out because one engine plant (some engine plants didn't install this feature) would put only three threads in the spark plug hole and that is in an aluminum head. Well the tool companies developed a tool to fix that. Around 2005 they fixed the ejection problem and went to a 3 piece spark plug which requires this little tool: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6918-Spark-Plug-Remover/dp/B00C6R1P6I

This spark plug was three pieces and you may only get one part out, or maybe two pieces out or maybe the whole plug if you were lucky. I purchased this tool but never used it. I was always lucky. The problem is the time studies are based on new engines which never have sticky parts. I charged double the time because I always took my time. I would unscrew the plug as much as possible without turning it abnormally hard. Once it got hard, usually after 1/2 turn, I would put an ounce of penetrating oil down in the plug well. Let it soak for an hour, then turn it back in and then back it out again without using excessive pressure. Let it soak some more and then work it in and out until again and again until you can remove it. It is normal to get some creaking sounds during removal. Don't use too much oil or you may cause hydro-static lock up. What a bunch of BS IMHO. Just be prepared to pay more in labor. I have a friend who was born and raised in Dearborn Michigan. He has a friend who is an engineer with ford. His buddy told him ford use to pay supervisors based upon how may people they were responsible for. Sounds reasonable. NOT. The engineering supervisors always pushed the engineers to use the Rube Goldberg rule of design so that they could request more engineers and thus get a raise. Example: They had this one engine that used cam phasing on the exhaust cam to eliminate the EGR Valve. They put in an $800 add on to eliminate a $150 part. At least this is what the parts cost from the dealer if they went out.

If you keep it long enough to replace the hoses, pay the money and go factory. I don't care for aftermarket. The hoses usually last at least 100k. Read the service schedule in the owners manual and don't do anything within the owners manual until required: EXCEPT the cooling system. I would have it pressured tested at least once a year when summer is close and change the coolant every two years. Overheating is the number one reason for catastrophic engine failure, at least it is in this part of the world. I say read the service schedule because many dealers and private repair shops attempt to sell stuff that isn't required. Many of the flushes they sell are designed to flush your wallet even if you don't need it.

edited in: Use a good synthetic oil with these new engines.

[ February 12, 2014, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2014 07:56 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Prune;
The good deed was the Toyota p/u I bought and put just under 350,000 miles on.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2014 08:31 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Prune Picker: also I worked on older jeeps. I never saw anything newer than a 2002 so they might have changed. I heard when chrysler bought jeep there was a restrictive covenant that required them to not change the design on certain models for specified amount of time. I don't know if it is true however.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters