The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Hunting Vehicles   » New truck... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New truck...
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 04:24 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice truck Dave.Looked at them but went with another Tundra.Look forward to your longer term report.Man they seem to be taking over around here though.
Paul,was recently told the FJ was likely going to be discontinued by Toyota.Hope not.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 05:22 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope not as well It was only brought as a short term tribute to the old fj-40 but its popularity went nuts. I love ours its my wife's grocery getter but we take it out in the hills together and love it.
It also makes a great calling rig and I use it for that regularly. also works on the trap line for trap check and other lighter duties.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Bringing this back up to see after almost a couple years of ownership, what your impression is now of the Ram?

What kind of mileage are you getting?

Still liking the 8 speed?

I was looking at a new 2014 that the dealer had marked down considerably, but it was a 6 speed. If going new anyway, I hate to settle as a new vehicle will most likely be with me at least 10-15 years.

[ July 05, 2015, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2015 07:34 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, still no complaints, really happy with the truck still. Rides so nice and comfortable, I just love driving it. Have had zero issues, so far, too (knock on my wooden head...).

On a recent trip (Gillette, WY), I drove 1500 miles, most of it on the interstate at 80 MPH, but about 400 of it mixed dirt and county black top, averaged just over 18 MPG for the whole trip, hand calculated.

That's pretty dang good mileage, for a 400 HP V8, turning 34" tires with 3.92 axle gears, in my book.

Doesn't get that good with normal stop and go around town, gets 14 - 15 MPG doing that.

But I give that 8 speed auto much of the credit for doing as well as it does on fuel. Seem pretty universal, none of the trucks with the same motor and the 6 speed do as well.

Personally, unless the deal was really sweet - and a sweet deal can change everything - but, I'd hold out for the 8 speed, over the 6.

I'd highly recommend getting the Ram boxes too. Those things are GREAT!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2015 08:14 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave for the update.

Really, I'm more or less trying to talk myself out of the 6 speed. Just hear too many good things about the 8 and your report confirms this even more.

The dealer only has one 2014 half ton left and it's a 6 speed and a color I'm not wild about. There is some savings for sure, but hell, I'll likely have this truck until I'm 60 so why settle?

Those Ram boxes do look like the cats ass. Thanks for mentioning that it as something to put on the must have list.

Again, thanks for taking the time to report.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters