The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » I screwed up!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I screwed up!
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 11:16 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I gained a new appreciation for those of you that hunt the night shift. Every year we try and grow a few rows of sweet corn somewhere on the farm. It never fails, the raccoons find it and we get very little for the table. Well the corn is on and the coons have found it. I have a live trap but that will only catch the young and dumb ones, and I remembered a friend asking me why I didn’t try calling coons. My answer was that they were not coyotes. Well for the last hour I have been out in the stubble field that is next to our pitiful 6 rows of sweet corn making my best rendition of a distressed coon. I took my shotgun because I don’t like touching a rifle off around here in the daylight let alone at night. I don’t have a fancy light so I had my Streamlight headlamp that uses LED’s for the light source. I chose this light because of two reasons; I thought that I could hold the light and shoot at the same time, and I had noticed while irrigating that the coons didn’t turn away from the light when it hit them. So there I was leaning against a ¾ ton bail of straw just chirping away and then listening and watching. After about 40 minutes of my imagination torturing me, I really did hear something moving through the stubble field! I slowly turned my head to see two green eyes and the silhouette of a raccoon and he was well within shotgun range! I kind of smiled and said to my self your goin down! I raised my shotgun and when the gun got into the light stream I was blinded from the glare off the gun! So I kind of fumbled around a little but never got a real good sight picture. Tomorrow night I will have help.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2004 08:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Huntress, right?

I won't offer any tips, etc. You will figure something out. And, that's the way all night hunting develops, you see the need to solve a previous problem. Long learning curve.

Good luck, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Knows what it's all about
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2004 11:59 AM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
Where in Utah are you located Bryan?
Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2004 08:10 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leonard Huntress came out and was going to be the shooter. I guess I educated the whole family or something else because we didn’t see a coon while on stand. Oh well it was fun anyway. Had an owl buzz us that was cool.

WhiteMtnCur, I’m in northern Box Elder County. How far is that from you?

Sorry for being so slow to respond.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters