The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Book list (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Book list
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2023 10:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I confess, I read a lot of books. I just finished BLOOD LINE by Nelson Demille.

I've just started THE GREEN HILLS OF AFRICA by Hemingway. I have read several of his books over the years, To Have and Have Not, For Whom the Bel Tolls, The Old Man and the Sea, A Farewell to Arms, The Sun also Rises, and what am I forgetting? Oh yes, the best, actually, on big game fishing; Islands in the Stream.

This is about African Safari hunting, something I've just barely tasted but it's good for insight as to why we do it. I may get Hemingway on Hunting after this, I don't know? I haven't had the urge to read everything by this author as I have a few others, like Demille who I throughly enjoy reading. Or Robin Cook, both of which I'm at the point where I'm waiting for either of those guys to write another. I'm also sucked into Tom Clancy and all the clones, I mean ghost writers, whatever. I'm sure I've read close to 30 titles, Jack Ryan Jr. etc. make it more like 40? Yeah, I love that shit. I've read everything Ludlum ever wrote and Elizabeth Peters and Tony Hillerman, and Anne Hillerman. Same thing when they release a new title, I get it. Hard to do when they are dead, but not impossible. Right Clancy?

That's it from the literary society.
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2023 09:58 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the books that I read are on the mental aspect of archery technique but one that was a pretty good read was ; Crow Killer by Raymond Thorp & Robert Bunker.
The un-Hollywood version of Jeremiah Johnson.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2023 10:49 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm half assed embarrassed to admit that just as I'm musically vacant, (bet I listen to less than 10 minutes a month of music),I'm almost as bad in the literary vein.
I probably average a book a year if that. Every time I crawl into a good one, I ponder why I don't read more,but I don't? I'm always busy during the day and by evening, I'd rather reload or skim through a gun rag before lights out time.
I envy you old fucks that lounge around all day laying in the easy chair reading your erudite novels and such.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2023 05:37 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and concubines to fan me, drop grapes into my mouth and keep my Mead goblet full while I read.

You guys might enjoy books by Dexter Oliver. Novels with a strong Southwestern theme. Plus, Dexter's for real and is / was a Director in the Az. Trappers Assn.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2023 05:39 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't read much anymore ''concentration issues''. But some of my favorite subjects were the old West, Indian wars and the Little Bighorn Battle.
Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 16, 2023 06:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet I've read 8 or ten historical accounts of Little Big Horn? But I read the gun rags too.

One little tidbit about the 2 month Hemingway safari is that he caught such a severe stomach bug that he was having emergency bowel movements on the order of 150 per day! Now I don't know about the rest of the Peanut Gallery, but when ever I have had that sort of problem, yes frequent but no where near 150 Hershey Squirts a day. Eventually he was hospitalized, and I just can't imagine the sort of rubbed raw anus he must have had. And no wonder he recommended sitting while shooting lions.

This reminds me of a hunt along the Colorado River one time with a group of guys chasing Mule Deer. I had brought a 10 pack of those Kleenex pocket tissues and every morning I offered one to anybody that wanted one. Somehow, I managed to forget mine and in an emergency, I had to rip a sleeve off a brown teeshirt for emergency. This was August, the hunting was in shirtsleeves. Unbelieveably, I had a similar problem the next day and had left my little packet in a different jacket, but I still had that tee shirt, so I tore the other sleeve off!

The next day, almost too dark to see, and I had to take a dump and once again I had left those tissues back in camp. Not only did I have to use the rest of the tee shirt, but 3 bucks trotted past while I had my pants around my ankles!

I did not mention any of this around the campfire that evening.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2023 10:12 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2023 02:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Victor, I have nothing but pity for your lack of a reading gene, but I’m just like you as far as interest in listening to music.

My son has zero motivation when it comes to reading a book, in fact, I’m sure that he has only read one book in his entire life. He was so immersed in Little League, he developed a lifetime addiction to Scoal at maybe 10 years old. But, he received a book as a gift and actually read it, and through the rest of grade school and high school, he was able to use that same baseball book for book reports he could rattle off as a no brainer. His mother must have been the source because he sure as hell didn’t develop my interest in reading. I always thought it was an amazing feat that he always got away with his fear of the printed word.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2023 08:37 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong, if I crack the pages on a read that grabs me, I'll devour the sonofabitch. It's more of a time management problem for me. I just don't have large chunks of free time available,I have current projects I'm getting after, and future projects stacked so far ahead no telling when I'll get them knocked out.
Come evening, I watch my quail and other birds feeding, play with the new pup and swill a cold beer while the sun sets, grab supper, shower and by 9 I'm fucking ready to shut my eyes. If I opened a book, I'd be lucky to get three pages turned, and my retention would be zero.
Last book that I could not put down was Atlas Shrugged, burned through that epic in about 2 weeks, and brother, that's a feat if you've seen the size of it. Probably the most influential piece of literature I've ever read.
I enjoy reading when I have a good one, just don't manage my time well enough to crawl into one very often.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2023 09:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Atlas Shrugged, by Ann Rand is in my nightstand and I paused reading it during an endless monologue by John Galt just short of page 500, and that was a year ago. I had a similar drift while reading 1984 and never got back to it. I know where it is, and will probably get back to it, (hopefully) one of these days. I also want y'all to know that this is something I never do. No matter how much I lose interest, I will always struggle through to the bitter end....just not those two, so far.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2023 11:51 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Started Josephus. Just old history as recorded way back when. Interesting and a a lot of book to read.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2023 06:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a couple more Safari related books. You may not know, I certainly did not, that Robert Ruark books are very pricy! He's supposed to be the preeminent African Safari author. Like about a hundred bucks for most titles, but I managed to snag HORN OF THE HUNTER, (used) for about what you would pay for a new best seller, and it's in excellent condition. I also got another Capstick book, DEATH IN THE SILENT PLACES, he's usually good and I'm suddenly interested in African hunting. Another pricy book is one by Theodore Roosevelt, about his African Safari. I'll keep looking for a deal, his books command a high price. I watched a movie where a father and son tried to recreate Roosevelt and son's safari. It was interesting. I'd rather read about it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2023 07:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
All this reminiscing reminded me of an almost totally unrelated factoid. Something I noticed was blacks walking along, no sidewalks anywhere in the bush, but carrying a live chicken upside down by its feet. One explained to me, made perfect sense.
First, cheap and plentiful. And, alive, meaning fresh, no refrigeration required. So it’s really African “FAST FOOD” and they absolutely eat everything but the feathers. I’m pretty sure they roast them, but I doubt they use a trendy can of beer.
Anyway, once my curiosity satisfied, I started seeing them virtually everywhere. And why not?

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2023 06:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Came today:

THE WANDERINGS OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER
by W. D. M. Bell

AFRICAN GAME TRAILS
by Theodore Roosevelt

HORN OF THE HUNTER
by Robert C. Rural

aught to keep me occupied

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2023 05:41 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good timing .............. I was getting ready to send you my copy of African Game Trails that I've never gotten around to reading. The cover's mostly duct tape but the pages are good. It was an estate sale find and the shipping would have been more than I paid for it. Guess I'll have to read it myself .......... sometime.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2023 09:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know, those events happened in 1910, a completely different world from today. Some would say, much improved! I mean hey, we got smart phones!

Imagine a ten year old reading that and might even blurt out; You mean nobody had smart phones, or only the natives? So, they just used what they got, tablets and PC's. The sense of proportion if that's the right word, is sad and comical. Wait a minute! If they didn't have Prius's and Tesla's, what did they drive? Giddy-up!

I've said it before and I might say it again: I do not envy the latest generation(s). The world they will grow up in is a pitiful mess compared to my generation. I remember, we were all children of the Greatest Generation that beat the Japs and the Nazi's with one hand tied behind their back. We had such housing shortages we lived in Quonset huts right after the war for a couple years until my family bought a house on the GI Bill.

Anyway, the family across the sidewalk bought a television. it had an 8" screen, they set it on a kitchen chair on the sidewalk just outside the door so everybody could watch it.

I think it was Author Godfrey's Amateur Hour with Julius LaRosa and the Mcguire Sisters. I had listened to this show on the radio but never knew what any of them looked like. This was the original Johnny Carson type format for late night TV and brought to us by Lipton Soup and Lipton Tea. I don't think anybody had thought of Iced Tea in 1950?

A couple weeks later and they had bought some kind of magnifying glass to mount in front of the screen, making it a "wide Screen 11" and we had dided and gone to heaven, what with all the modern HI TECH progress! We had a couple innovations, a junk wagon and it meant exactly what the name implied and what interested us kids; the Popcorn Wagon! 5cents a bag, and I guess it was the fast food of the day? It would be several years before anybody thought of a frozen TV Dinner. We had (early 50's) a 21" Admiral with a lighted halo around the actual picture tube that prevented eye strain because by then people we spending far too much time staring at the boob tube. This was equivalent to the transitioning from flip phones to smart phones, more or less.

Tell you the truth, it all went by in a blur; crawling under our desk to be safe from an A bomb attack, sputnik, etc. I first kissed a girl on New Years Eve 1956, Dixie Carlson. She won't remember, but I will never forget it. She was so cute, sat in front of me in Spanish I. Neither of us learned any Spanish, it was scandalous. Bought my first house in 1966 and while walking the kids around Halloween night, I came face to face with Dixie walking her kid. Another moment I will never forget, it was my first crush, two souls passing in the night. I never told anybody how much Nancy looked like Dixie.

Ah yes, excuse the ramblings of an old man. But those were the days. Don't let anybody tell you any different. Now off to my Dr appt.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2023 03:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished The Green Hills of Africa last night.
To tell you the truth, I wasn't overly impressed with his writing skills, I had a little problem keeping the players straight.

But, my main disappointment was the pitiful shooting skills he demonstrated. Things like missing the first 2 shots and then blowing off a leg in one case and gut shooting in another. He also lost a huge Sable and although tracking by a half a dozen bushmen was never recovered. This is one of THE most coveted trophies in the world, not just in Africa. He just gave up, had to get somewhere else.

I am a firm believer in that hackneyed expression, "One Shot, One Kill" and the idea of flinging lead after a fleeing animal is only justified when he is hit but not dropped due to unlucky circumstances and you need to follow up as quickly and deliberately as possible. But if all you can do is spray projectiles and pray, that's not a good plan. No, even then it takes calm and deliberate shooting. Being fast without careful aiming is rank amateur stuff and it's only justified after you have already put a bullet in him.

No, really, I thought his shooting skills were deplorable and he seemed to lack the self awareness to even try to justify his sloppy shooting, like he didn't know better. Then he misjudged and killed a cow Sable, which they have very impressive horns just a bit smaller, but the identifying feature is that they are chocolate brown, whereas the bull is jet black. It's the same with the Gembok/Oryx, where the does horns are actually a little longer than the males but not as "thick" so the bucks are more desirable, and still very impressive.

However, the thing about Sable is that they are very aggressive, they will lower their horns, (built like a saber) and intentionally run you though, given half a chance. They are dangerous and you do not trifle with a charging Sable!

Anyway, yes Hemingway has the hunter instinct, but (to me) he was a slob, aiming at a body mass, instead of a shoulder or lung shot. Yes, he managed to drop a few hit in the neck that dropped like a sack of shit, but that seemed more luck than deliberate shooting. Okay, I'll quit ragging on him but I am also bothered by the way he died with a (I think?) a 357Magnum blowing his brains out; an act I consider mental illness and my respect for the man is rather low.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ October 21, 2023, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2023 10:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing, to keep ragging on Hemingway and his behavior. He never said so, but reading his wife’s journal, a day to day account of what happened. She said Ernest had laid his rifle, loaded without engaging the safety on the roof of the Lorry, a type of truck. A native was driving and they hit a bump, the rifle slid off the side of the roof, butt down, it hit the ground, went off and apparently wizzed right by the genius’s head! At least husband and wife were greatly upset by the close call! I think it was a 30’06 Springfield? They also used a Mainlitcher I think it was a 6.5mm? They also had a 470 double and it was rented.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2023 12:46 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to read about somebody that was the real deal, eBay up a copy of Tigrero by Sasha Siemel.
The guy would go off in the jungle on a horse with a couple of dogs and a spear to hunt Jaguars.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2023 07:31 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And speaking of famous authors, it was Sasha Siemel who said of Erle Stanly Garner of Perry Mason fame, "He's a wonderful marksman as long as he's not shooting at anything."

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2023 10:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've read about Siemel. He must have a screw loose somewhere, but undoubtedly, a brave man. In fact, a Total Badass with a fucking spear!

Whereas otherwise, almost all big cats are timid with dogs, that's not the case with Jaguars, who when cornered will easily kill a half a dozen dogs before the hunter can get to the party, and they know it and take great pains to protect their dogs.

I had a partner several years ago, one of those types that routinely struck out with the ladies, pretty much a nerd in everything else, I couldn't imagine him playing any kind of sport, even Badminton or bowling. But he could shoot. Paper, that is. Competed Benchrest and did well, far more in to it than I ever was. Unless he used his 20 gauge, but shots on game, with a rifle, forget it! I felt sorry for him. But he had an eye problem, which sure as hell didn't help. He could shoot groups though, knew all the science behind it, and had that attention to detail that is required. One time, early on a Sunday morning after we had been on a hunt all weekend with no sleep, he volunteered to drive as we had just gassed up and were heading up 85 between Ajo and Gila Bend and he fell asleep, both me and my son in the back, had not even managed to fall asleep yet. He crossed overthe oncoming lanes and we were bouncing across the fucking desert at 60 miles an hour! He woke up, straightened it out and got back on the pavement, all while I was trying to get up front when he conked out again and this time, the oncoming vehicle had observed this shit and came to a stop, not knowing which way to turn while our driver swerved across (the stopped) oncoming traffic and there we were bouncing across open desert while we were screaming at the fuck!

The guy in the stopped car leaned out and said: you better pull over, buddy! I took over, but I never forgave him and never trusted him to drive again, at least on pavement.

Another thing. I subsequently drove that stretch of highway many times and it is almost continuous washes and it's all 90 degrees to the highway and I have yet to find that open stretch where we somehow didn't crash and roll over in a wash.

Another thing I did, when driving tired and we must depend on the other guy to keep us alert, that's the job of the man riding shotgun! So, every time I caught him dozing off, I would swerve on to the shoulder where they have those scoring lines and they make that racket and it would wake him up. And he knew what I was doing and why I did it and I would give him a stare so he knew I wasn't ever going to forgive his bullshit! He admitted that he had fallen asleep at the wheel before and was not going to let him wipe out this crew ever again if I could help it. Yeah, I still got a hard on over that little stunt!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I don't even know if he ever got laid, I haven't talked to him in years, last I saw him at a funeral for a club member, must have been 15 years ago? Poor guy, he wanted a relationship but I can't imagine what kind of woman would be interested? Look, he was a friend and hunting partner for many years but he just didn't have a clue how to charm the pants off of a female. Some got it, like me, but this guy was/is a lost cause. Total shame....ya know?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2023 08:11 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Just reread some of this and didn't see any Jim Corbett stuff. I read him as a kid and it made me want to go to India and hunt maneaters. I remember Karamojo Bell and his expedition across Africa hunting ivory with a 7x57.Also Cougar Hunter about a guy in California that hunted cats for bounty. Also spotted in some of my books Use Enough Gun. Also,found a fun one. Reloading by Herter,If you remember the old Herter's catalogs that were really a hoot to read about how great Herters products were over all others.And then there is Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting.There are a few others of that vintage in there somewhere on a shelf or box.Fond memories. Thanks for bringing them up.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2023 10:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Herter's. As I have mentioned a number of times, I'm original from Minnesota and Herter's and cornfields and the smell of shotgun powder, Remington high base and Hoppe's #9. The company closed doors a long time ago and yet maybe somebody bought the name, or something? My uncle, I think had some sort of firearm with the Herter's brand, I think it was a rifle but <shrug>? I guess it's like Cabella's, nothing lasts forever except death and taxes.

Yes on Corbett, magic jungle stuff with maneaters, and India is plenty exotic all by it self. I remember seeing a photo of Queen Elizabeth in one of those box things strapped on the back of an elephant and very busy, & deliberately shooting driven tigers! She must have been quite the lady, and not bad to look at back in her day, in uniform with her jeep and such.

Can't remember the guy's name, Fast and fancy shooting? Ed something? A fedora and period S&W revolvers. By all accounts, he did some amazing stuff. Of course, I heard that Annie Oakley used birdshot for all of her trick demonstrations.

On the other hand, Victor Carlson could break a thrown egg with a 22. Must be a trick to it, I guess; but he's the real deal with just about anything. Who else hangs a lion pelt on a hook behind the door....that's class! Almost fail to notice it, but not this kid.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2023 01:44 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Ed McGivern

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2023 10:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's it!

You saw Jerry nail a beer can upside down with your revolver!

You saw Vic shoot those eggs!

But, OK, thanks for giving us Ed's name. I had it on the tip of my tongue anyway, if I had a minute, and I gave you all the clues.

Good hunting. El Bee [Razz]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters