The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Definitely, rain is expected today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Definitely, rain is expected today
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2023 01:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's starting to get overcast and the forecast says to expect rain and wind today. Hasn't happened yet, I should go to the store, but too lazy. Spectrum is advising outages so no TV, which I haven't turned on in two days. We will see how it turns out.

Tillie needs to be pushed out the door, afraid to get wet, then she pees on the porch so she has a bit of overhang to keep from actually getting wet. That's a strange peculiarity of this animal. She goes out of her way to pee on concrete, avoids more natural things like grass and dirt or soil.

The other thing she does, without fail, when she get's up from a snooze, she shakes like a dog shakes getting out of a lake or stream. She gets up from laying down and shakes. You wouldn't think it has to be an iron clad requirement, but she thinks so.

She does other stuff. Barks like crazy at everybody and everything. Now, you might think this is a display of aggression, unless you notice that she is wagging her tail while barking. Other dogs, on leash, being walked out on the sidewalk, they "seem" to understand that her barking is not aggressive. They mildly look at her barking her fool head off and are very casual. Owners, however, cross the street, not taking chances. So, my guess is the dogs have a secret bark that decodes intent, like a bark might sound identical, to you and me, but dogs pick up on attitude, and seem to know when a bark is just a "HOWDY" and not a "You better keep on going or I'll fuck you up!" It's subliminal in nature, far beyond our ability to understand the meaning.

So, with that, rain watch continues....
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2023 07:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No fucking rain yet! Although, it still claims 100% rain. Still have 3 1/2 hours before it's Sunday which also has a 100% chance of rain.

Wow! these satellites are freaking amazing!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted August 19, 2023 10:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fuck it, no rain yet and I'm going to bed!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: regardless of the time stamp, it's really 11:11 right now, I just haven't updated the daylight saving bullshit.

[ August 19, 2023, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2023 04:16 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
0614 and waiting on the rain too.
Radar says it's here but I also use the IDOT webcams to really find the rain line. It's hard when it's dark. [Big Grin]

We had a .73 rain about 2 weeks ago and it washed roads back in certain spots. Won't take much to close roads if we get what the weather peeps are saying.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2023 07:38 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Plagues of earthquakes, fires, drought & floods.
God is punishing Calif. for letting the dream of Paradise die.
Expect toads & locus to follow the rain.

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

I'm currently blind in my right eye due to having a detached / torn retina repaired. Will be glad when this is over.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2023 10:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is, damned near noon on Sunday and all I have is sprinkles with no wind.

ko ko how in the hell did you get a detached retina? Doesn't that require a blow to the side of the head?
What's the fix, surgery? Good luck, Dude!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2023 11:53 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The Eyeball Mechanic explained that a number of things could cause it. Kick-Boxing, riding a mt. bike too fast on a rough trail, using a jackhammer or just luck of the draw with advancing age.
I'm going with a bottle of Fireball, two hookers, a Mister Twister game and a bottle of baby oil. Prove me wrong.
The surgery was pretty simple from my point of view. Answer a bunch of the same questions several times, off to la-la and and wake up in recovery.
The worst part is keeping the head down for a couple of days. Full recovery is expected, but slow.

Soap box lecture to follow;
This started out as that feeling of an eyelash hair up under the eyelid. No big deal. Then the 'floaters' showed up in my vision. Annoying but ignorable. Next was vision like looking thru dirty cheese cloth. That was concerning. Then it got better and there was (false) hope. The Dr. told me that this is where people make a huge mistake and wait too long to have the problem addressed.
With surgery in time, there is a 99% cure rate. Without surgery there is a 100 % loss of vision in the bad eye.
I was lucky on the timing as I had a Dr. appointment to get upgraded Transition lens and they sent me straight over to the Optomoligist. (sp?)
So ............ Strong suggestion; If you have anything 'weird' going on with your vision, take it serious and get your butt to the Dr.

End of Rant. Now back to our usual mocking of Calif.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2023 03:48 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
>>>>>>--------> Note that I predicted that earthquake in the morning and it happened in the afternoon. 5.1 / Ventura.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2023 05:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What earthquake?

All, I know is that we have a steady rain, nothing to get excited about, basically, all day. No wind.

Everyone knows, in Southern California, it's endless drought so it's nice to get a thorough soaking.

My problem, as usual, is the waste! We have loads of storm drains, it's like a giant slide, concrete channels that all point downhill and dump rainwater into the ocean. It's to prevent flooding.

The problem with that is we have very few catchment basins to percolate that water into the GROUNDWATER!

Just in this little municipality of Upland, maybe 11-12 square miles and about 75,000 population, I believe I heard that we have 11 city owned pumps. Hardly ever used, they claim it's too contaminated with petroleum products and blame it on leaking gas station underground tanks. That's another story, but it doesn't pay to own a gas station in this town. They will happily shut you down and dig up your suspected leaking tanks and replace them, at great expense, about 18 months later and reopen. Not just once but 2 or 3 times within my memory.

Anyway, we get a combo blended water from the Colorado river and MWD from the Owens River aqueduct which also travels about 250 miles or so. Very complicated and our phony San Antonio Water district is involved in complicated machinations and we get as a result, water that is at least 19-20 drops hard water and has a lot of minerals and calcium and sand. The city pumps, so far as I know are seldom, if ever used, because of (wink, wink) ground pollution.

Of course, if the groundwater level could be replenished by the use of catchment basins, but who am I kidding? This is what we got and that's how it is, fuck all that rainwater dumped into the ocean 50 miles away. We are called The Inland Empire, for some reason? Sounds impressive, but it's just cheap land away from the coast. If anything in The People's Republik can be called cheap?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2023 10:12 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Had to make another quick trip into the bowels of your state last week. Took off at 2 am here, attended the celebration of life get together and left the next morning early.
I loathe San Diego; homeless, filth, congestion, people and fucking traffic. I swear by my life, that is the Last time in my life I set foot in California.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2023 04:37 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Went to San Diego a few years back to go on the most horrid cruise one could imagine. Wifes daughter was getting married and wanted to do it on a cruise ship.-----DON"T EVER GO ON THIS TRIP---it was a Carnival boat to Ensenada and nothing but crowds of screaming noisy kids and rude parents. First and last time I will EVER step foot on one of those damn things. Got to Mexico and I actually got off the boat at the dock and went over to a soccer field next to the docks and flew one of my kites I took with me. Only peace and quiet of the whole damned trip. But to get to that joke of a cruise ship we had to drive to San Diego from Salt Lake City. First off I felt violated as soon as we crossed the border at Primm into the Peoples Republic and by the time we got to San Diego I was ready to go back as the traffic put SLC to shame. and those Mormons race around like they have a plastic Jesus on their dashboard protecting them. Very scary place to drive in that SLC. I'll never ever go back to San Diego again and face the traffic of southern commiefornia . Even well sedated as I was I still quake in my sandals at the thought of driving in that workers paradise and feeling that I was violated.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2023 04:56 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
There should be some kind Purification Ritual that could be done after being exposed to Calif.
I'm thinking something along the lines of listening to an Ed Ames Greatest Hits album while doing handgun drills with a rack of stuffed quail breasts
slow roasting on the BBQ to be followed by a round of beer or wine that you brewed yourself.
Or as we call it here in Scenic Safford ......... Saturday Afternoon.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2023 09:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What can I say? Everybody here should know that the vitriol they speak is my exact thoughts.

It's interesting. What is called here; The West End, is as RED as any other inland area of California. The Liberal bullshit is primarily along the coast, the whole coast, what the hell is it, something like 900 miles? And it's only maybe 25 miles deep, or inland.

But, the numbers are there, enough to elect Democrats overwhelmingly and here we are.

Victor, you would think you had died and gone to heaven if you happened to live in some selected parts of San Diego County. I'm telling you, it's gorgeous! The climate is not only the best in the country, it's the best year round climate in the WORLD.

So, look what Democrats have wrot, (is that a word?)

Also, I can't afford to live in San Diego, a little too pricy for me. What is it? Do only Liberals have the money to buy in San Diego? Seems to be the case.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS you know something? I have not bought a hunting license in California since sometime in the mid '80's. All the hunting I do is in other states. Figure that one out.

edit: You guys know that I have always had a part of my family in Arizona. We are social, I have been going there since the '50's, everything from holidays to graduations and christenings.

But, always a certain amount of crap, Arizona people just fucking hate Californians and California! Oregon is the same but about 50% toned down. If you live here, expect to take shit from Oregon; it's about half as bad as AZ; it's like, in the water, or something?

What the hell am I doing here? You guys are starting to <snif, snif> hurt my feelings!

[ August 21, 2023, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2023 09:59 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee;
Serious ........... Have you looked into Sun City West near Phoenix ??? It's a development laid out strictly for seniors. Not nearly rural enough for my tastes but a huge step up from the disaster that is Calif. The homes are beautiful and the area well maintained. [Cool]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2023 12:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
ko ko, yes, I have been there, Sun City west. My old girlfriend lives there, Betty Ann and so does my cousin Judy Neal, her maiden name is Bosinski. What I like about it is that all the houses are the same, 2 or 3 bedroom and it's plenty big enough for me.

I also like the old coot culture, they arrive in their golf cart and line up at Denny's for the 4:30 special. Kinda cute.

But getting back to the houses, the competitive thing is landscaping the front yard, as with most of AZ, and the big deal is a Sahuaro, that's the A plus status symbol. Last I checked, they were $100 per foot and replanting, you have to bury 3 feet, so they are damned pricy, but I would have to get one, I mean unless it's already there through some stroke of luck.

But, I could handle that, wouldn't hurt to reconnect with Betty Ann! And, another Ex lives on the other side of town, Judy. Not even really an Ex.

LOOK, I'VE BEEN MOANING ABOUT MOVING FOR AT LEAST 20 YEARS, IT'S STARTING TO GET OLD!

Good hunting. El Bee

I still like Dove Mountain, north of Tucson.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2023 04:29 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Going back to the rain. We got 5 inches in our gauge a couple days ago. There was some "Ponding" as they call it here and a lot of washed out driveways.
And on another note the wife and I saw an albino turkey the other day on the way to town. Pretty rare and a once in a lifetime bird for us birdwatchers.
It is still there as of yesterday morning. Pretty cool. Like 1 in 100,000...

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2023 12:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Why wouldn't your turkey be an escaped domestic bird? They are all white. We used to get the Bronze Breasted birds to raise, but 99% of the Thanksgiving turkeys are white, far as I know?

Also, that's about what we got here on Sunday, judging by my Home Depot bucket 4-5 inches.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2023 03:51 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I did get a very good look at that turkey and it was a wild one with a flock of dark ones. This small group of about 10-12 hens live in a spot that there are no houses built there yet. The flock we had on our property has been decimated by domestic dogs and foxes not to mention just a few people around here that think the season is year round.Still, it is pretty cool to see something not many people get to see. And no I didn't tell Audobon as if I did there would be a hundred birders descend on us here and that would suck. I made that mistake in Nevada once and showed a birder friend where a Sage Grouse lek was and the next thing I new there were people all over there bothering the Sage Grouse. Never again.....

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2023 09:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Walt. I sorta did the same thing, opened my big mouth and told a fair size group of coyote hunters that we got into some very good hunting up around Gabbs. Didn't take long for everybody with a few days to spare was up there nosing around and a month later, new moon and the smoke cleared, it was a complete wasteland, as far as coyotes were concerned. But, my little nugget was intentional, and never made that mistake again.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters