The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » A little dink & his opinion + Victor shares a lion!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A little dink & his opinion + Victor shares a lion!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2023 03:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Who cares what he thinks? Answer: Liberals!

[URL=https://www.conservativereview.com/hell-if-you-re-that-bad-of-a-shot-you-re-safer-with-a-baseball-bat-david-hogg-argues-that-gun-owners-shouldn-t-need-more-than-10-rounds-per- magaz]https://www.conservativereview.com/hell-if-you-re-that-bad-of-a-shot-you-re-safer-with-a-baseball-bat-david-hogg-argues-that-gun-owners-shouldn-t-need-more-than-10-rounds-per -magaz[/URL] ine-2662250045.html

[ July 10, 2023, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2023 05:44 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
404 page not found.

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2023 09:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK OK OK

Try this:

https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2019/05/08/gun-expert-david-hogg-thinks-need-target-practice-not-ar-15-n34382

Okay this time it's not you! I don't know what happened, somebody pulled it or something?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2023 12:06 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well ........... I'll agree with him that I need more target practice but other than that; the guy's an idiot.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2023 02:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody needs "more" target practice....in theory.

Except Victor. He's the most qualified pistolero on these boards, but modest to a fault.

Anyway, as far as target practice, you know, shooting groups and such. You must understand that on a certain level, you must be anal in acquiring your equipment and in processing your premium ammunition, if we are talking centerfire rifle accuracy. Rimfire requires that you purchase super premium ammunition like Eley and Lapua. Then you can work on your technique.

Handgun accuracy is probably better described as an art. Some got it and some don't. Still need practice. These guys burn a lot of powder and lead.

Whereas, with an accuracy rifle, you can buy 200 brass and an 8 pound jug and along with maybe a thousand bullets, that's enough to last the life of the barrel.

I moved up to hand dies a long time ago. I only size the necks just like a real match bench-rester. I have used the Wilson hand dies for at least 25 years and they will last another 50 years, if I don't drop them. Actually, I guess Redding makes dies and bushings just as good, and the bushings are interchangeable with Wilson. You can also turn the bushings upside down and change your neck tension by a cunt hair.

It's all about 5 shot groups. for live targets, I feel that 1/4" groups is as good as practical. Unless you are using the 220 Russian cases and a moderate load, as far as velocity goes, they can dial it in a little better but I'm operating in a faster neighborhood, 3800-4000fps with 65 grain bullets. I never messed with long bullets in .224" but I do use a hybred 105-108 in .224.

In my opinion, a coyote does not know the difference between a 22-250Ackley and a 243Winchester at reasonable distances. For me, that's a limit of about 400 yards, unless maybe the second animal has stopped for a look a little further. Besides that, you had better have the animal well marked, before you start banging away in flat cover and your angle could be slightly off and I feel that wandering around out there for an hour and maybe longer is better spent on another stand. Also, it helps a lot, if you actually heard the hit.

I remember shagging all over the place one night, yeah, I heard the hit and that's why I persevered, but the animal had just started to turn to the side as I touched it off. This was one event I never saw before. The coyote had about 15 feet of intestine snagged on a bush and I happened to see the damned bush wiggle and it was quite a ways off line so I never ventured over there. Really, had to feel sorry for the poor critter. Do not try this at home, Amigo!

Anyway, if you keep your shots within reasonable distances; you save a bunch of walking and bullets and the time for another stand down the road.

That's been kind of a quest for me, for many years. Run out of ammo; freaks me out, never done it.

Almost the same thing. One Saturday night, after a great morning and terrific early evening, me and Pat just quit. We figured we had the hunt in the bag so we just got some sleep until morning and time to make check in. I think we had something like 18 animals and we felt like victors! Those were the days!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ July 09, 2023, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2023 10:52 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a short on ammo story for you Leonard. Hauled ass after work one evening, and took a different route home over thru the old ghost town of Gleason. Went south, out of the hill country into the desert flats.
When I was getting out of my truck, I fished thru the pockets of the Navajo seat covers that were so popular then. Knew I always had lose ammo there. I fished thru half a dozen empty cases and found exactly one, 17 Ackley hornet round that was loaded, figured fuck it, one case one coyote.
Set up in small grassy opening, maybe 30 yards deep and 60 yards long. After a short three minutes, caught a flash of red fur running hell bent for the call,running thru the cat claw brush. Shifted my little TC carbine to aim right for the caller, with my head up waiting for the coyote to come into the picture. When the red fur running thru the cat claw broke into the opening, it turned into a mountain lion. Kept charging to the caller, I lip squeaked, it slid to a stop at the caller 18 yards from me,popped the shot tight behind the shoulder. It jumped what seemed like 6 feet in the air, hauled ass,made it maybe 6 long strides, and went end over end,grave yard dead.
I've called several lions since, one just last winter, all by happen stance down in low desert country calling for coyotes. Never had the urge to kill another one.

[ July 09, 2023, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2023 08:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good story! Thanks!

I've called a few lions, myself. They are always a surprise.

You never think;

"Wow, this looks (and feels) like mountain lion country!"

Your point is; Hey, we are hunkered down, here in the greasewood; pure coyote country if I ever saw it.

It's not that I've ever called more than 6 or maybe 8, at the most, but two of them were in scrub desert flats. And two, as I recall, were in actual mule deer country where you would expect a lion, now and then. No, that's not right, I never "expect" to see a lion. Especially when using coyote vocals. Forget it....but you never know?

I have called lions just about equally, Nevada and Arizona, except for one in Utah. OH, and just remembered: one in CA, calling right at the edge of a Marine Corps bombing range.

Anyway, I get your point. A lion. Standing broadside. At fifty feet. 17 caliber is adequate. In cool hands.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2023 02:42 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
David Hogg, yeah that little cheese dick is world famous for his knowledge and expertise of firearms. (sarcasm)

He should just sip his Bud Light and wave his pride flag in his room in his moms basement waiting for her to bring him another hot pocket.

[ July 14, 2023, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters