The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Pests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pests
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2021 06:44 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I never really considered deer to be pests until lately. They are in my back yard almost every morning. Drives my cow dog mix crazy !!
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2021 07:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I never thought about it much until my daughter bought a home in San Rafael, which is in Marin County, with lots of wide open space and I assume there is no hunting allowed because the fucking deer are tame. The residents use some kind of netting over their shrubs to keep the deer from eating them bare. They like any kind of cultivated bushes and hedges, the more ornamental and expensive, the better. WHEN they do it is unknown, because it's when normal people are in bed.

They need to be thinned out, Dave! Man up!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2021 07:49 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
The natives say town is full of them during deer season. They also say the bucks get aggressive with dogs too.

Looks like I'm putting up a fence.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2021 09:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
HA HA HA, Dave!

One thing I learned while driving at night on an Interstate in southern Texas. Well, the first thing I learned is that just because there is an offramp, that doesn't mean you can go anywhere, you are faced with an impressive gate and 8' game fences.

But, what was interesting is the amount of roadkill, all whitetail deer! And, they jump the game fences to graze on the Interstate center meridian! Some of them apparently do not look both ways before crossing the street.

A deer can jump over a higher fence than you are probably willing to put up? But, I do not have a solution for your problem either? Oh! Maybe eliminate the attraction?

It's like the Pecan Farmers in southern Arizona. They have these explosions at intervals from Carbide Canons that are supposed to deter wildlife. Mostly, I see critters ignoring the loud reports. Seems like a waste of time and effort, but what do I know? Eliminate the attraction!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2021 09:32 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I think they are mostly passing thru. There is a pasture full of cattle one block from my house. My neighbor says they like to go over there.

I have shrubs out front they can have 'em !!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2021 02:05 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't as big of pest as elk.

Dave A, you really didn't move to J.V. did you?
You'll regret the winter driving if you did.
Never had so many broken front windshields. They don't sand in the winter time they rock the roads. Now I think they even quit that.
The worst winter time driving from J.V. to the Idaho line.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2021 03:02 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Oregon did away with the rock stuff ? I know they wouldn't spray for awhile.

We had 5" last Tuesday morning. They plowed and roads were good.

I guess, I'll find out, the plan is to have a job down here by winter. I'm driving to Homedale Idaho now.

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2021 03:44 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Solid ice usually down through Succor cr area.
I wouldn't live in Oregon for all the tea in China.
Look into their gun laws that are coming you won't like it.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2021 05:35 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you may forget. I've been around awhile. I'll take your opinion and put it in a hiding place where no one ever goes. I'll put it in my pantry with the cupcakes.
JP
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2021 08:20 AM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
We live at the base of the Huachuca Mt's and live with them 24/7

-

Posts: 150 | From: So AZ | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2021 03:52 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Look at those ears here in northern AZ, we have a bunch just add Elk !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2021 09:21 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
The deer numbers are out of control in my area. A few weeks ago it looked like a caribou migration behind my house. There were too many to count. Mostly does with the occasional buck who still had antlers.

We see deer every day.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2021 10:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of my pet peeves! It begins when you have "environmentalists" or bunny huggers infiltrating State Game and Fish Departments. Or, just make it any ignorant fool that "manages their deer herds by restricting deer tags to antlered, or "fork horned or better". In California, I will just make up a number but it's probably pretty close....96% does and 4% male deer, and a lot don't qualify as legal to shoot.

But, anyway, most of those does don't get serviced, and meanwhile, hunters are focused on ? 2% of the male deer with forked horns or better. Now we have millions of female deer and they are scared of nothing except lions and vehicles.

It's stupid, illogical and unscientific GAME MANAGEMENT in California and probably in your state, too! Meat hunters should be allowed to bag a doe, period! I guess land owners in Texas have the right idea but nobody else seems to?

Anyway, there's your problem with suburban deer munching your daisies!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS and it's intentional!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2021 08:42 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Meat hunters should be allowed to bag a doe, period!
In my area, you can take unlimited does (you have to buy bonus tags). The problem is the number of hunters is going down hill fast. The younger guys are too busy with their iphones and video games.

Of the few hunters that are actually in the field, a good percentage of them are looking for a buck with big antlers and won't shoot a doe.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2021 10:16 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing that hunting 'trophy's' ever did for me was to put my taxidermist's kid thru college.

[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 10, 2021 12:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of agree with you ko ko. For instance, if you remember one of those heads on my wall, it cost around $800 to airfreight it from Johannesburg. And then, I didn't know that I had to pay a broker to pass customs, about the same amount; and for what seems to me: NOTHING! What a racket!

Therefore, it starts to make a little sense to have those mementoes, a zebra drum, a tail fly-swish and just going with the European skull mounts and the rugs. Saves a lot of taxidermy and transportation charges. The Africans apparently do not know how to make lightweight fiberglass mounts, which is why a lot of guys ship treated hides and have them tanned and mounted over here.

Not only that, but wives really, really don't understand "trophies" and especially the cost! If you noticed that fish, it cost over $500! But you are right, it does put a taxidermist's son through college! If money were no object, who cares? But, I am of humble resources.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: to clarify, laughably humble resources!

[ May 11, 2021, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters