The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » How dry? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How dry?
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2021 04:19 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I figure most of you are as dry as we are.
.69 of rain since the first of the year.
Went riding yesterday at the lower levels too much snow up real high.
This is an area where everyone else is riding and dinking around.
Dust was bad already.
Sure hope something changes sooner than later.
Looks to be a long dry summer.

Did this last cold snap reach any of you? We're back into the teens of a morning and the day temps are rather cool too. Plenty of sun though.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2021 05:56 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the farmers are bitchin' imagine that ? It's been to dry to plant and many nights below freezing. Many are getting water in the ditches now. Normally we have rain and then irrigate. This year they have to wait on irrigation to plant.

Snow up high though.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2021 06:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just judging by personal and very casual observations as a non professional, my opinion of our local southern California precipitation is that our rainfall has been significantly higher, this year and last year. Basing it of a previous ten years of no rain to speak of, you notice.

Also, we had these restrictions, and suggesting neighbors should rat on anybody watering after 6 A.M. and before 6 P.M. Consequently, my frigging lawn died! At one point, I was paying the gardener to mow weeds!

Then, I redid my entire front yard with drought tolerant and astroturf, at considerable expense, I might add. All this just in time for the end of our drought. But people around here are starting to change from a grass lawn to something more like what you would see in Scottsdale. Not a landslide, but it's significant. And, I'm not paying a gardener, I putter and prune as best I can.

Short answer, for now, the drought's over, locally.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2021 06:39 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Rain-wise, we're in bad shape over this way. The drought continues.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted April 12, 2021 09:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you cultivating over yonder, ko ko? I peek over the wall and the weirdos next door have just started getting their little plot seeded and planted. They go with everything from corn to pumpkin and some kind of red chiles with onions, beans and rhubarb and yet, pretty much the same every year. I guess they know what they like, by now?

I used to do the same with jalapeņos and corn and love those radishes and tomatoes! The Drones never plant tomatoes? Wonder about that?

But, very recently I planted some concrete where the garden used to be and fuk it! I will make do with watching the drones next door go through their routine every year.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: property taxes due today! I damned near forgot myself! That sure pokes a hole in the friggin' checking account!

[ April 12, 2021, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2021 11:38 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fix'en to 'grow' another 5 gallons of Mead.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2021 07:42 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
They are predicting a wetter than normal monsoon this year we had nothing last season!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2021 08:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn! That sounds exciting! I can't wait!

Rained all day yesterday. Well, to be perfectly honest, it was more of an intermittent mist, just enough to keep the concrete wet. Unusual. I had a orange bucket out in the back yard and I'd guess there was less than a half an inch of "rain" sloshing around in the bottom. How's that for a deluge? Only in America!

You know what, some of my most enjoyable moments have been alone in the desert when it's raining. It just don't get any better! No Monsoon, just light to moderate and preferably, intermittent rain. I don't want to get all sappy, but it is actually kinda magical I pity those that have not experienced what I'm talking about. And, where's the best place for this? Well, DUH! AZ.

Good hunting. el Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2021 11:56 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
In the misty moonlight (Dean Martin sang about it) is no doubt magical but truly awesome is one of our Monson lightening storms. Something that has to be experienced to be believed.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2021 05:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Dean Martin could not sing if his life depended d on it total punk !

[ April 16, 2021, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2021 05:24 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul ............ Paul.......... Paul; ...... Are you smoking pine cones up there again ?????
Dean Martin may have made a lousy cowboy but he definitely could sing.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2021 09:14 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
No he moaned with an accent ! He also was the worst cowboy ever! Frank Sinatra could sing ! He was a jazz man!

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2021 09:18 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Ps Nat king Cole could out sing both of them !

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2021 09:55 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
But the very best .............. Ed Ames !!!!

[Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2021 11:40 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on guys!
I really liked Dean Martin even have that record with that song.
I liked Ed Ames.
Not much into ol' Nat king Cole but he had his style which was good.
Compared to what is out there today and the sounds they aren't making.
I'll take Ol" Dean and Ed any day of the week.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2021 12:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The Cultural Editor has spoken !!!
That settles that. [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 16, 2021 12:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My Sainted Mother once remarked that Dean Martin could kick his shoes under her bed any day! I was SHOCKED! SHOCKED!

But, I heard that his routine, heavy drinker, lady's man, etc. was completely faked. He wasn't like his image, at all. That's what I heard anyway.

You know a man that could sing was Englebert Humperdinck. How or why he came up with a name like that is beyond me.

I'll tell you another one, come to think of it. Bobby Darren was a hell of a talent. I've had the pleasure of meeting him, as he was a neighbor of my folks down at the Marina del Rey, his slip was right next to ours.

What about THE KING OF POP? Just kidding, Just Kidding! BUt, on the other hand, poor Elvis, turning over in his grave when his daughter hooks up with that creepy slug, Michael Jackson. Elvis was the King, and to my everlasting regret, I never got to see him perform in Las Vegas. I could have, should have, but didn't. Misunderstood, but a decent man.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2021 02:53 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Just read recently that Lake Powell will probably drop to 37% of capacity this year which is a record low.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2021 03:12 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if that bumbling buffoon Biden doesn't want to pump oil thru a pipeline maybe he could arrange to pump some Mississippi River floodwater out this way. We have reservoirs that are low and a couple that I don't think have EVER had water in them.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2021 07:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know who's stealing water and nobody's doing anything about it, is Mexico. They have been pumping ground water originating from, (I think) The All American Canal forever. They even admit that they are doing it and vaguely admit and agree to restitution. Look it up.

There is no doubt that civilizations have been built on the availability of water, major cities have always existed adjacent to a major river. We used to see signs, when I was a kid in Minneapolis: FLUSH THE URNAL, St LOUIS NEEDS THE WATER! Hell, I don't know, is my geography accurate? what's south, other than New Orleans?

When you stop and think about the Owen's river and the canal that routes water from the Sierra's snowpack to Los Angeles, it has to be quite an achievement. It is fortunate that Las Vegas is situated where it is, next to the Colorado river and Lake Mead, which, by the way they are seriously over using. Perhaps not well known, unless you might live in Nevada is that Las Vegas has been drilling water in the northern part of the state for quite a few years now because they are over extended with water rights from the Colorado. In that regard, I'll tell you right now, Reno looks like the future, sitting as it is, below Lake Tahoe. Phoenix, what the hell would Phoenix do without favorable court rulings when you consider that they are in major violation of a metropolis existing without a nearby river.

I have spent some time in southern Arizona and the locals build what they laughingly call, "tanks". What for, I don't know because they hardly ever have what you might call potable water but the coyotes are thankful. Sells is in a precarious position and could shrivel and die without adequate water.

Here in Upland, about ten years ago, maybe longer? we had a break in the four foot diameter concrete aqueduct providing a good percentage of our water. They had to shut it down to repair it and we were told to store water in 50 gallon barrels for essentials. Seems like it lasted about a month? Of course, one of the main reasons was because the EPA has condemned most of the dozen or so wells owned by the city because of trace pollutions but the ones we have left operating survive by blending with our Colorado River water and what we get from MWD which controls the water from up north. It's all very convoluted and murky, but an obscure entity called the San Antonio Water District is a big player, locally. Water rights are a big deal.

<yawn>

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2021 06:09 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
*21 this morning and still no rain !!
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2021 12:56 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Down in Mackay this morning it was 18*.
No rain and getting drier by the day.

LB, my great grandmother said the same thing about ol' Deano.
He could park his shoes under her bed anytime.
She was a sainted religious woman.
My mom just about died laughing when she(grandmother said that).

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2021 05:49 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how much rain the valley got, looks like some anyway. We got hammered rained all weekend. I could see a snow line just outside of town. It was snowing a little bit this morning.

The ranchers are happy.

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2021 08:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
we had about 64 TH OF AN INCH YESTESTERDAY SPOSSWD T GT SOME NORE TODAY AN TOMMAROW

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2021 08:09 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
SORRY NO GLASSES !

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters