The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Please, I would like to get your input (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Please, I would like to get your input
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted December 14, 2020 11:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very seriously considering having members log in to read content, for security reasons and confidentiality.

All you would have to do is no more than you need to do anyway, if you want to begin a topic or reply to a topic.

So, it would tighten the access to interested parties and specifically exclude lurkers unless they are registered.

Don't ask me why I think this might be a good idea, I want to know how the Peanut Gallery feels about it, including ko ko.

Thanks!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31490 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2020 11:07 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Fine with me.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2020 12:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well there you go! 100% so far! Keep it up! It will be very useful while we plot the overthrow of the Union.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2020 01:35 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
How many log-in names are we allowed?

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2020 01:43 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.
Three reasons. Maybe four.
(1) It would discourage new members.
(2) It would discourage old inactive members from dropping in to say 'hi'.
(3) It would be a win for bottom feeders like the Wickless Wonder Chadwick. The definition of terrorism is to cause someone to change behavior. Besides, he's kind of laughable in a pathetic dumb-fuk way.
(4) It would raise membership fees.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7588 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2020 02:58 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Not really closed forum are okay.
Just stay logged in and no problems
Just idiots can't just stop by and look is all.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2020 04:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my basic policy has been since 2005, don't change nuth'n. They can't handle it.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2020 04:49 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
It's your show Leonard. Whatever you choose is fine.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted December 14, 2020 05:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a surprising amount of input from PMS people that think I should just close the doors completely. Like illegals, they really don't get a vote, fortunately. But they think I'm looking for advice, I mean welcome advice.

Does anybody spend time over there? There must be a thread because all the free advice is coming this way. If they did count, they are in the lead so far. lol

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2020 06:14 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I say do what you want LB.

My vote would be to log-in.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2020 07:00 PM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
I visit a lot with out logging in. Just see what's up and move on. Having said that, logging in is not a big deal with me. It's your board and I'll play by your rules.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2020 05:59 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am with ko ko on this one. But if LB wants to change the policy I say go head. It's your show sir. I stay logged in, no bothers to me.
I did "lurk" around huntmasters for a while before I decided to join. So not being able to hang around and see the content, and get a feel for the forum would have been a negative when I was thinking of joining. I don't post a lot but I am here everyday. I feel like I have a lot to learn before I say anything. You know "better to keep one's mouth shut and let everyone think you are idiot, than open your mouth and confirm you are one".
Anyways, how about a public forum with a members only lounge? Meaning most of the topics can be seen by any joe blow but have a section where members can go and these issues can be discussed, only huntmasters can be see and reply to the members only topics. It might help Keep limp dicks out your business and potential new members coming back to huntmasters.-Tex

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2020 07:15 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate logins and passwords and the rest of the hinderances to using my own computer ! no vote here ! I must have a dozen passwords don't know one of them
!

[ December 15, 2020, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2020 08:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can sympathize with every comment above and a couple more via email. Maybe I won't do anything hastily. I don't know, the idea of lurkers never bothered me, it just puzzles me a little because I always have to add my two cents, and I wonder about the shy ones, but now it's not idle curiosity, these people are malicious, mean spirited and I'm not kidding, they strike me as the type that could walk into a room and start hosing it down. They seem way too emotionally involved in this little "shit show" is one of the descriptive words they are using to describe HM.

I probably don't have to tell you people that Predator hunting involves those of us that are considerably higher on the food chain than the average "deer hunter" or bird hunter. Sometimes it goes to their heads and they think they are kind of superior to other folks. This is okay but then you get the ones that become MEAN GIRLS, or just catty type that always has some derogatory comment behind your back. They are sure that they know more stuff than everybody else. That's what we have working here, jealousy and an attitude that my little click is a lot more COOL than yours.

What I can't figure out is why they give a shit if Huntmasters hangs around by a thread, but they are insisting that I shut it down. How is that going to help them sleep at night? There is a lot of things that we can't control and sane people deal with it. Not this bunch, they don't want any stray voices on the fringes of their dominant, and domineering website. I was going to say kind of Gay, but even though I never saw Brokeback Mountain, I just prefer not to dwell on those good old boys. Now, they will consider these comments as stirring the pot but I didn't start this silly "Board War".

I'm not replying, and not opening their shit anymore so they will have to confine their comments to the subject line, if they think it will make me cave in.

I may have said this already; but I do not get it? Why waste so much time and energy?

Oh, one of the reasons I have never allowed private messaging on this Board is because this is where this plotting and sneaky back biting builds up. It truly is like a bunch of catty little girls talking behind the back of somebody they envy or hate or some other chickenshit reason. I used to publish their messages but that didn't work, not that I know what will work; these people are fucked up bullies.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2020 11:40 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
''What I can't figure out is why they give a shit if Huntmasters hangs around by a thread''
They are part of the new and improved cancel culture. Tell them to stick it in their ass.Pardon my French.
One benefit of getting old is I don't have to put up with their shit much longer.

Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2020 01:10 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't tell ya what to do but seems to me you own the site and it irritates the hell out of a few weak minded people. Just seems to me that those that are upset are the ones with a problem and need some counciling . Be that as it is no problem to me for you to do what you want. And by keeping it the way it is. Being the pain in their asses this site
seems to be. Let them stew in their own shit.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 644 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2020 02:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks for the contributions, I appreciate all of your opinions.

Yes, I know it's my little hobby project but I have been trying to tell the membership all along that it is really democratic and not so much for my own gratification but rather what the users want to get out of it. I have to get hard ass occasionally and do it my way but I try to listen to the users as much as possible/this is where our lurkers probably have a cow? [Razz]

I asked before this version went on line if you wanted all those sexy tools and customized features and the input was, keep it simple and easy to navigate and that's what I tried to do, and then, keep it simple. That's just an example of seeking consensus because otherwise it doesn't matter to me how it's laid out if it's easy to use.

Anyway, as with other attempts, sometimes when you want guidance and direction, what I get is like in this case....do what you want, it's your board. And while that also has value I think I'm asking what should be done, if anything.

I'm in no hurry. We are just picking your collective brains. Feel free to tell us what you think. Using the Royal "we" in this case. I will review, decide and then run my conclusions up the flagpole and see who salutes it and who shoots it down, then, we'll likely do whatever ko ko says.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2020 05:05 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Huntmasters is your site and you should do what you feel is right. IF it gives you piece of mind definitely do it.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2020 11:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still debating. I'll say this much. I'm hearing from people that don't post but obviously follow the Board. Interestingly, they tell me that the Board in trouble is PMS, not HM! Losing membership and contributions. That's understandable, the way things are in the country. But, maybe they should get their house in order instead of butting their collective noses into our business.

Yes, I know things are slow and can't blame people for worrying about things besides coyote hunting, interesting as it may be. That's why I have been focusing on things I believe other patriots are interested in, freedom, gun control and politics, to name a few. If I never kill another coyote, believe me, I have already got my share.

But, just as guns and gear are interesting to predator hunters, they are also interested in knowing what is going on in the never ending battle to restrict our freedom, especially in this sucky bell weather state that I live in. So, just as we have Gavin Newsom, you people will start to see that NAZI bitch in Michigan, and the creepy governor I Pennsylvania.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JP
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2020 01:22 PM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't post much at all but read a couple of times a day. I have some health issues related to agent orange and shake like a dog shitting razor blades. To quote Paul: "no vote here ! I must have a dozen passwords don't know one of them"
Posts: 150 | From: So AZ | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2020 06:37 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Been giving this some random thoughts about why should anybody care about the existence of this board. [Confused]

The observation that I've made is that nobody on this board has anything to prove to anybody. Rugged individual-ism on parade. That greatly disturbs the liberal mind-set / control freaks that can only exist when masses are dependent on them.

It must suck to be them.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7588 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted December 16, 2020 08:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how PC's work any more but With my Mac, I can store my passwords forever, don't even have to think about it. Isn't there a password storage with a PC? Just asking?

[ December 16, 2020, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2020 08:16 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Google Chrome has it built in. I only use chrome's password storage for non financial passwords. For real security I use a password vault called lastpass.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2020 09:50 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
I use LastPass for all passwords. I have a different password for every site I go to. Some of them are jumbled up so bad with high and low case letters numbers and symbols there is no way I could remember them. If LastPass every craps out, I am screwed.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2020 10:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since NY guy threw his little tantrum and left with Uteman we only have ko ko for highly technical and Internet stuff, so we can depend on you from now on. Good to know! I'll check out the vault.

Good Hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters