The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Dog trick!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dog trick!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted September 18, 2020 11:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said, I went to BassProShops with my daughter and Tillie, (The Wonder Dog)

As usual, she does get a lot of attention because she's a damned good looking dog.

So, we got into an extended conversation with the Rep at the optics counter, much of it about Tillie.

I was telling him that there is one thing that concerns me, in spite of her having graduated from Obedience School. When she meets someone, she jumps up and bumps them right on the mouth, if they aren't careful. She has long legs and can pretty much look most people in the face when she stands up. She usually does this even though they told me that the solution was to splash water at her from an open plastic bottle but this has not worked and besides, I seldom have a bottle of water available.

So, at this point, a gentleman walks up, who had obviously been paying attention to the conversation. He said, well, when the water bottle solution doesn't work, do this:

Grab both front paws firmly when she jumps up and then reach out and step on her back foot....like this!

Then he stepped on her back foot and she yelped a little and definitely retreated very quickly. Instantly, she declined to jump even when he encouraged her to do so. Was I ever impressed!

The thing is, she doesn't jump up on me, I have scolder her enough that she doesn't try it, but does it with everybody else, so I can't train her.

Shelley tried it a couple times when we got home and she was already a little cautious and by the second time, she wasn't falling for it. So we shall see?

She is very friendly with everybody, doesn't know anything about being shy with strangers.

This reminds me of what women do with a strange dog. They have a fear of the dog sticking their nose in their crotch so they bend forward and catch the dogs head with both hands in a friendly greeting that prevents the crotch sniffing. Of course, it's just defensive, doesn't do much in the way of altering the dog's behavior. It's just mildly humorous to watch.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2020 05:28 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I always just give them a gentle nudge with my knee in the sternum with a stern "No" and they usually learn pretty quickly. Not too hard a knee, just enough to push them back a bit.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2020 08:34 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to try this trick with my German Shepard. He always greets everyone by jumping up and trying to give them a wet, black nose greeting kiss. He is not being rough when he does this but he is big enough to push you over if you are not ready for his greeting. Thanks for sharing LB- Tex
Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2020 09:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are welcome, ATexan! I can tel that you know exactly what I'm talking about! It's a situation where an enthusiastically friendly dog can be unwelcome and even dog lovers don't want a dog up in their face! They do mean well, but it's not welcome.

I saw with that one demonstration that it's effective. So, good luck!

Good hunting. l Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2020 11:12 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
My dog Sadie is leery as hell about strangers. Protective as hell about me & climbs all over me.

I probably should do something about that. I love her and she loves me soooo what the hell [Big Grin]

She is hell on cattle jumps up & bites their faces & shit. Pretty girl but, what a bitch [Eek!]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2020 01:06 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
My 15 year old rat terror Harley is all but blind and deaf now. Senses from vibrations, I think. I've started calling him "Helen", as in Keller, for obvious reasons and he answers to that shit. LOL

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2020 02:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but Lance. I'm talking about a "real" dog, that can lick your face! (just kidding)

However, I realize that the suggested cure is a non starter for most terriers.

Good hunting. El Bee

fucking Tillie jumped up on a couple kids today that were just trying to give me a bag of cookies! As I said, she knows better than to jump on me 'cause I yell at her! I need to hire a door to door salesman that I can train and have him knock on the door for a week or so, I open the door and she jumps on him and he steps on her foot. I love this plan!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters