The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Camping (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Camping
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2019 04:40 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing...
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2019 05:57 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing them.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2019 11:09 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Farting around out on The Swell the last couple days.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2019 11:12 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
More (there's always more)…

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2019 11:15 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
And even more...

-

-

-

-

Enough!

- DAA

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2019 11:57 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Awsome! Whos Yota is that..and..umm...what is that splatter from??
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2019 02:03 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's my buddy Carl's FJ80. He has a 100 series he did a full custom solid front axle on 35's that is way sweet too. He's a helluva fabricator and engineer. Can build damn near anything. Built his own plasma table.

How often ya get a chance to piss in a dinosaur track: [Big Grin]

- DAA

--------------------

NeilA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2019 02:18 PM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
Great photos Dave! Thank you for sharing.

Can’t wait for the next trip!

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2019 02:21 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Too cool all of it and the vehicles !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2019 10:25 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Dave, the fun never ends!! You may get tired of all the compliments. Its pretty clear you arent the sort to need attention but I can help myself!! Man, you are sooo talented!! Fer real, fer real!! Looks like the the dino track might could be flipping you the bird for peeing all over it!!

I never figured Lonny to be ANY kind of handsome!! Hard to tell by just reading posts. Heck, I've met Leonard in person and never expected he would have looked just like James Dean as a youngster!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2019 11:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Danny, there are several movie stars I am continually mistaken for. It's embarrassing, sometimes!

Hey Dave, the last time I went down a "trail" like in this photo, half of my engine mounts broke!

-

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: speaking of movie star good looks, that Dave Affleck ain't no slouch!

[ April 29, 2019, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2019 03:30 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave
you should be doing shoots for the auto MFG"rs.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2019 04:48 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, breaking motor mounts is mostly a thing of the past. I broke them a couple times, way back in the day. But frames are a lot more rigid these days, and suspensions are a lot more flexible, far less likely to twist things up to the point of breaking off mounts.

I replaced them on my Jeep recently, just on GP. But they were actually in surprisingly good shape. I saved the old ones. Have worn out two transmission mounts on it though.

The new stuff that went in a couple weeks ago.

-

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2019 07:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If you say so? I forgot to mention that I also busted the fan cowling on the radiator. I replaced with steel motor mounts and stayed the hell out of those tight places. You just have to ask yourself; do I really want to go there?

I've been down some awesome creek beds where I needed somebody walking in front and guiding me. And, always in the back of my mind I keep saying "won't I ever learn?"

I look at it like this: if it takes away from hunting, it's probably not worth it. Now, in your case, you have a different objective. Oh! And, I keep forgetting! Do you bring the gear and give in to temptation and make a stand, now and then, in that back country? It all looks very prime, even a hand call, perched on a rock, gun or no gun? Come on, admit it! You done it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2019 09:19 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Up to your usual standard of awesome !!!!
Should you get the urge to do a 'Rock Art' calendar, put me down for a couple.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2019 05:56 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Went out to The Maze over the weekend. Twenty-something times I've been there now, I never get tired of it.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2019 05:58 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
More...

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2019 06:06 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Few more...

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2019 07:44 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice!

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2019 05:11 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Pics are awesome. You need to remove your front plate, snap a few and make a small fortune selling them to Jeep for advertising. I've never seen a picture that screams "Jeep Tough" quite like yours.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2019 09:08 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
What he said...
..and it always looks brand new!?
What's going on here?
Mark

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2019 02:40 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a 30 footer [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2019 07:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone mentioned about that red dye used to paint on the rocks? I'm very curious. Whatever they use, everybody uses the same stuff, apparently? And that is all the more curious. I mean, they didn't have TV. So hundreds of miles away, group A is showing group B & C how to gather the berries and mix in a little catalyst to just the right consistency. I'm saying that it was a technology of the times and I think it's interesting that something like that would get passed across town, so to speak.

However, it has been established that those people did network. They had contact and there was trade. I am very curious about those various cultures. What it was like. And, it sure as hell wasn't easy!

Imagine this. You need a new stone war axe. So you find the perfect rock and imbed it just right in the Vee of a hardwood tree and wait a few years until the branches grow around and it's wedged in there tight, no messing with twisted vines to hold it in place. Clever, and a trick that was passed around. Anyway, I think that stuff is interesting. How do you make a two piece arrow, with superior flight characteristics? Usually consisting of a lightweight reed for the front part. Whoever would have thought of that, and pass it on. Just finding tubers that they can suck the moisture out of. Did every tribe, every band have to reinvent the wheel? That also is interesting, in that Amerinds possessed a well developed culture, were very into decorations. Some primitive people had all they could do to keep from starving, but our Indians had the spare time to indulge in what you might consider frivolous ornaments and stuff to improve their appearance, like plucking stray facial hairs with two clamshells as tweezers. They were all into looking good so there was obviously an abundance.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2019 05:10 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a sociology professor in college who lived in Madagascar with the Kung Bushmen for a year. Totally primitive indigenous people. He impressed upon us that we should consider technology not so much a matter of microcircuits and computers, but rather, discovering and maximizing the resources available to you in your environment. For example, the bushmen used two-part arrows similar to what Leonard describes above. The back portion was a hollow reed and the front portion was an integrated shaft and arrowhead. What was remarkable about these arrows is that the bushmen would locate a very hard to find plant and mark its location for later use. The roots of that plant, when processed using a method they devised, produced a toxin that was overwhelmingly potent.The arrowhead tip would be dipped in the poison and then the arrow would be used to take game. A single arrow was enough to bring down an adult giraffe. They would get a shot into the target, the hollow shaft would fall away and the hunters would follow and track the giraffe until the neurotoxin spread through its body and it went down, at which time they would swarm over it and process the meat.

Each time I see those shards of pottery in the pics above, I'm reminded of something my uncle taught me. He was born and raised near Cortez, Colorado and he and his brothers bought a mile-long canyon four miles north of the backside of Mesa Verde. Down the canyon, a couple hundred yards from his property line there can be found another much smaller Anasazi encampment. On the top rim of their ground, if you look closely, you can see circular arrangements of stones embedded in the soil. Anthropologists have been there and they were told that those circles are the foundations of structures built by a people that were ~800 years prior to the Anasazi. When I was little, we were allowed to pick up arrowheads and pottery. When I took my wife and kids there 15 years ago, the family had changed to forbidding anything from being removed. But, my daughter Tabor found one particular piece that is extremely unusual and considered to be a real find, so she was allowed to keep it. This pottery was produced using a secret method of firing that, until about ten years ago, had never been replicated using modern technology or science, and people had tried forever. The pieces were a light eggshell colored clay, about 3/16-inch thick. Looking at the edge of the piece, you would see a black line sandwiched between the inner and outer white surfaces. Apparently, this is a very rare form of pottery that is specific to this particular culture, making the pottery very strong. Somehow, they figured this out on their own. Passed it along for generations, and the method died with their culture.

How did those bushmen discover that they could process the root from that one specific plant and produce a chemical that fed them and provided them with food, hides, sinew? And who was the guy that first discovered that cow's milk was good? I mean, did some caveman get drunk on fermented fruit with his caveman buddies and suck a cow's teat on a dare?

Makes you wonder.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2019 09:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Something I find interesting about our native Americans. Those anthropologists have determined by examining knife marks on human bones and also cracking those human bones open to get at the nourishing marrow, that many of them were canibals. Well this little detail doesn’t set to well with the descendants among us today. Their Public Relations Department prefer being thought of as The Noble Redman, rather than primitive savages.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

PS one of the above photos is of a can of Log Cabin Syrup. I hope I’m not the only one that recognized it.

[ May 16, 2019, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters