The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » This will help the resale of your home Leonard (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: This will help the resale of your home Leonard
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2018 09:37 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/solar-mandate-all-new-california-homes#gs.3zlIaNk

Since it mandates only NEW homes must have solar, it should increase the value of existing homes. Many buyers would probably prefer more home and no solar IMHO.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2018 09:53 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Dont forget,,,its Kalifornia. At some point, if you dont have solar, you may get penalized. Or, they work with the power companies, and jack your shit up so you cant afford not to have solar.

I dont have it, but have a lot of friends/family that do. Some like it some dont. Financing for 5-10 years. Eventually, hopefully, your paid off and your power bill is super low.

Lots of programs to get you into solar..including giving you solar but just financing thru your property taxes..all sound nifty....but I am always leary of that kind of stuff because...its Kalifornia....the same state that begged and subsidized people to buy electric cars...then complained about losing gas tax...so now want to penalize everyone and jack up the gas tax, jack up your car tags or charge you by the mile.

I just see everyone having solar, then somehow, the state will penalize them, even though they dont make money off of electricity...somethings not right.

Im paranoid...but youll never get away with NOT paying for something in this state, NO MATTER HOW GOOD IT SOUNDS.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2018 11:11 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure as the Sun comes up ............. the democrats will find a way to tax it.

[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2018 12:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As luck would have it, I'm powered up with fucking solar! I was fed a world class sales pitch and couldn't figure the catch and couldn't figure out how to say no?

This rig only works when the sun shines, I mean daytime and at night I'm on the grid, no storage batteries. I have three sets of solar cells on my various roofs facing south and the inverter is capable of generating 43 Amps, DC.

I didn't pay a dime for the installation; I'm still trying to figure out the angle? My Edison bill? Don't know yet but I'm supposed to pay it annually and it was installed last June. So far, I have paid $80 to Vivent Solar. There is a 20 year lease and I can purchase the system at that time, or leave it as is.

So, if anybody knows what kind of con I have signed up for, maybe I don't want to know....because you know what they say about something that sounds too good to be true?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2018 06:40 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good deal?

Im thinking of selling solar...now that its mandated, I can jack my prices sky high to the builders.

I love Kali.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2018 06:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, a career move is under consideration? You might google Vivent in Utah, they are seriously blanketing this area right now. Besides, if you find out anything, good or bad, I'd like to know?
I mean pertaining to their particular schtick.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2018 09:09 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
When a couple of solar outfits were canvassing our neighborhood we did a lot of research into what benefits we'd receive. Turned out to be none. A neighbor had it done and they invited us to take a look. My first question was where are the batteries? Turns out there were none so you really aren't off the grid.

A short time ago I noticed that all of their solar panels were gone. Apparently they discovered that solar wasn't the way to go.

My home is in western Oregon and available sunlight in the winter is at a minimum and even in the summer the number of effective solar panels is restricted because our roof primarily faces east and west.

When I lived in North Central Washington I knew a guy who lived entirely off the grid. He used solar panels but had a bay of very large rechargeable batteries. The type that phone companies use in their Central Offices. He also had a generator for recharging the batteries in times of no sun. He had every electrical convenience he required.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2018 11:18 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
For What It's Worth .........

What I'm seeing in this area is more & more solar panels being set up as shade for parking rather than up on the roof.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2018 02:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I mentioned above that my system does not involve storage batteries, it's only good when the sun shines, at night, I'm on the grid.

But to say it has no utility at all is not accurate. This is Southern California and the sun shines a lot more than in coastal Washington. Therefore, I don't buy any electricity from Edison all day long. The last bill I got from Edison was for $29. Before I installed this solar crap, I was paying a little over $100 per month. Now, don't forget, I have a 36,000 gallon pool with a 2 HP pump that runs 18 hours a day in the summer time.

I'm still in an evaluation phase but since there was zero cash outlay, I'm dead certain that I'm saving some money on my power bill, how MUCH remains to be seen? But Vivent installed the system including three sets of solar cells on three different roofs, plus the inverter and associated conduit, including new smoke detectors and Co2 detecters all over the house, upstairs and down. Besides that they upgraded my service panel to 125Amp. And, they did a good job, you would have to look very close to see that it's a retrofit. And, circuit breakers and wiring ain't cheap ether. The system is capable of 43 continuous Amps DC.

I got a letter from Edison asking if I wanted to switch from annual billing to monthly and I haven't responded yet but I'm pretty sure I will go with a monthly bill, but so far, since last June, I have only paid $29, and plus $80 to Vivent. Either something is very wrong, or it's a pretty good deal? That's literally all I know, right now?

I showed this stuff to ko ko when he was here. He might say it's substantial plant installed, for no out of pocket, thus far?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2018 07:23 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a very impressive set-up.
So long as the contract didn't involve a drop of your blood on a thumbprint it seems like you got a really good deal.

--------------------

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2018 04:07 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
BIL in Utah put in solar to turn back his meter. No batteries. Said it's working for him. Seemed like everyone in his area was doing it. The power company started losing money so they stopped it.

We looked into it for the Challis home. We only pay 6 cents a kilowatt and the company doesn't buy back for chit. So we decided not to do it.

Still interested in a solar hot water heater. Just haven't had time to do a lot of looking.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2018 04:09 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have batteries you've been sold a bill of goods ! grid tie solar helps nothing but the assholes who sold it to you. I will soon be installing a wind unit to eliminate the use of my back up generator ! Off the grid and loving it. haven't seen a utility bill for some time.......

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2018 07:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure about that, Paul? A "bill of goods" sounds like I've been cheated, somehow? All I have to do is pay Edison a baseline fee, forget the word, but it's the cheapest they offer for subsistence. It's the lowest rate, whatever it's called?

Besides that, I pay Vivent Solar and they help themselves to my Visa. So far, $80 total cost since last June.

What I don't know is how much will be the annual billing, but how bad could it be if it's the lowest rate they offer anybody? What I also don't know is what that eighty bucks represents that I paid for solar energy?

But I have three solar grids on my roof, a new upgraded service panel, an installed DC inverter and the stuff to make it work including satellite monitoring to both Vivent and Edison. And it didn't cost anything; I hesitate to use the word, "free", but the only contract provision is that I pay them based on my usage.

I know that I don't have the equipment to store power and I know that these panels are only working when the sun shines and I know that my meter will never run backwards, but if the excess goes to Edison, like if I go on vacation and use nothing, I don't know if that is how it works?

Anyway, bill of goods doesn't seem appropriate since I paid nothing upfront, and I'm paying less money than I was paying before the installation. As I said all along, I don't know the exact angle here, but until I start paying more than I was paying Edison, I'm not thinking I was screwed?

Being off the grid is a buzzword for rural situations. Here, in the big city, with power supplied to every home, to pay for generators and batteries and solar panels, etc. that's a reasonable option instead of paying the power company to plant telephone poles and supply you with electricity. Those batteries don't last forever. I remember when I was at Tim Behle's place, he had the whole set up and he had some minor problems, things he had to attend to and fix, at least the few times that I was there. It didn't run itself, as I recall?

But, as of right now, I'm not worried, I have a wait and see attitude. In the long run, maybe there's a better way? They have a lot $ tied up in this deal, I suppose they intend to make some money but I don't see exactly how it works?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2018 03:34 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you own it or do you lease it ?

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2018 03:35 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
And when you sell your home do the new owners have
to assume the lease?

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2018 03:38 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
How many agencies are now fucking with your shit ?
I do not trust one of them !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2018 06:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
First question: it's a 20 year lease with option to buy.

As to question #2: I'm pretty sure it is a Covenant whereby the new owner assumes responsibility?

Question #3: 500 or so, just like yours.

Now, addressing question #1, they think the useful life of the equipment is 20 years, more or less? I don't know the reason why I would suddenly want to purchase 20 year old stuff? Nor do I know who pays for the cost of replacing the stuff at the end of it's usefulness? First of all, I'm sure I will have sold and moved somewhere before that happens, and second, I doubt I will live another 20 years anyway so I'm not concerned.

I did get a cryptic letter from the county asking about the ownership issue a few months ago, I believe it concerned property valuation and taxes. A rep from Vivent Solar filled it out and signed it.

I am not very concerned about dire circumstances resulting from this transaction. I have no idea the value of this stuff and they didn't give it to me, I'm just "leasing" it for zero money and agree to pay them for the electricity the system generates. They had to inspect and approve my house structurally/suitability and qualify my credit before installing the stuff.

So, that's the whole enchilada, tell me where I fucked up?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2018 03:45 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
How much money are you saving each month with the new system?
https://www.consumerreports.org/energy-saving/real-cost-of-leasing-vs-buying-solar-panels/

[ May 22, 2018, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2018 08:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, Paul:

Because they put me on an annual bill, I won't get the cost until they, (Edison) gets around to sending it. The whole thing is a little murky but all I can say is that I didn't pay anything for the install and so far Vivent Solar charged $80 to my Visa Card. This is since last June.

The Edison bills vary depending on my Air Conditioning usage, but basically, the cost would be usually around $100 and I think once it got up to $175 or so? Before they switched me to annual billing, the last bill I paid was $29, for a month.

So, without a storage system, I don't pay Edison all day long, but after dark, I'm buying power from Edison.

During the day, I can't really say....yet? The last bill I paid to Vivent Solar was $80 and I think that was for two months?

That kinda coincides with what they told me when I signed up, that I wold wind up paying between 40% and 65% of pre installation charges. It's less than "without" but I can't give you an exact amount?

My major complaint has been the endless delays and inspections, by everybody before actually throwing the switch. Not kidding, it was 7 or 8 months AFTER the stuff way actually on the roof before I got clearances to actually turn it on. It's only been operational about 3 months, even though it was installed in June 2017. Between the Solar Company, Edison and the City of Upland, they all had issues to sign off on, and multiple same issues, a total clusterfuck.

Obviously, there might be different and better ways, and maybe less costly, but I think I will ultimately be paying less money with the system than without it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2018 08:45 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The one person that could most likely tell you if you got a deal or got bent over would be a realtor.
They probably see that kind of thing pretty regular.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2018 12:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
ko ko, it's really doubtful I got bent over. I will be paying less for electricity for here on out. It's not a full blown independent installation, but it does provide power at a reduced rate and I didn't pay for it. Not now, or ever for the next 20 years. Vivent Solar installed and footed the bill, and I'm paying less than before, hardly my definition of getting bent over? I've been saying all along, somebody please show me the trick, the angle, where or how I screwed up? So far, I don't feel like I'm getting fucked over? But, is it the best deal in town? I don't know yet?

so....Stay tuned
Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS My daughter has been down visiting for a few days and she just left, lives up north in San Rafael. Anyway, we were talking about my new solar stuff and she made mention of the house a couple blocks down the street and how unsightly it looked. I knew exactly which house she was talking about, it does look a little "Industrial". But, my panels are all facing south and since my house faces north, you cannot see these things. You can't even see them from the South because my property is about 10 feet higher than the house behind me. Every property is terraced at least 6' north to south for a couple miles, and why this town is called Upland. Google can see my solar panels but nobody else can. For what it's worth.

[ May 22, 2018, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2018 06:44 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
The Edison bills vary depending on my Air Conditioning usage, but basically, the cost would be usually around $100 and I think once it got up to $175 or so?

I'm moving to Kali. My electrical bill this summer will easily average $300 a month or more, depending upon A/C usage, because energy costs have "necessarily increased". It was 100+ the past two days already - both new records for May. That fucker Allgore musta been right after all.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2018 06:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know!

The only thing I remember about AZ elec usage was that Higgins said he used to pay about $600 a month when he was in Scottsdale. Then he glued the thermostat contacts so his wife couldn't turn it on.

So, I guess the only one paying less than me, is Paul. And, we never got a breakdown on what his installation costs were?

I'm not worried.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2018 10:52 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Equipment $ 7000.00 I did the install that would have been an additional 5k.
I bought the very best available Schneider electric from Germany.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2018 06:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting!

So, is there anything that needs maintenance, regularly or eventually? How long do those storage batteries last? Do you have to grease bearings and keep up with warn parts, or is it all free energy, going forward? Just curious

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters