The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Almost there, getting giddy (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Almost there, getting giddy
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2015 05:07 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,
I have not heard about this provision...I can see if I can contact someone from the Kansas State Rifle Association.

The President of KSRA, Patricia Stoneking, carried much of the water to get this bill to pass.

I do know the 1000 foot rule has squirreled my hunter ed group from teaching at schools. I do know that rule is not being interpreted the same way across the board.

I can't teach a hunter ed class here at any of the schools in Great Bend with non-functioning firearms, but I can at a high school 9 miles away...very frustrating.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2015 05:21 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered how this rule impacted HS instruction. Sorry to hear that.

I've read what the KSRA has posted and still don't feel comfortable in thinking I know exactly what it says. They say that the Act refers to school, property within 1,000 feet of the school. That muddies things for me. They say it doesn't apply to private property. That clears it up a bit. But, if you pull out of my driveway and go straight south from my drive, a half block south you come to a school. My questions is simple: Am I legal to carry, open or concealed, on the street in front of my house and on the streets going past the school which is city/ public property and not school property? Or, do I have to have the weapon secured and unloaded until I reach the fabled 1,000 feet mark from the school?

I have no reason to go onto school property, let alone with a firearm. But, I often drive down that street, and almost always with a firearm of some sort.

Some would say that this is making things too complicated, but that's how you get into trouble, assuming the laws says something it does not.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2015 09:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the problem with laws written by fucking control freaks!

Somebody else has to wade in there and clean up their messes.

When you think about it, it's oh so simple; just wish it so.

But, the exceptions and the gray areas are what keep a man locked up in his house, with a school across the street. "Gee, never thought of that"? That's the problem, they write stupid do gooder laws without considering the practical effects.

For me it's, HOW THE HELL AM I TO KNOW THERE IS A SCHOOL OVER THERE?

It's just TOTALATARIAN BULLSHIT

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2015 09:31 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. To take it a step further, I honestly do not feel the need to carry a loaded sidearm working in my yard, or walking around my neighborhood. The value of carrying comes when we travel someplace like Wichita where the chance of encountering ne'er-do-wells increases exponentially. And, of course, how am I to know where the schools are in an area where I'm not familiar with everything around me?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2015 02:08 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
These laws are to rid us of gun free zones , not to create them , schools are a place I would like lots of responsible armed people. I have guns placed around my home that would give me and mine a tactical advantage with anyone entering my home un invited I still carry you wont see it most of the time but when you have been near me I have been armed. The time has come the world has gone way past stupid I will not be a victim to this craziness.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2015 09:26 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Well stated, Paul. Beyond that, I have nothing to say.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2015 09:20 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Good points, Paul. The 1000 foot rule and zero tolerance is a good way for today's administrators to not have to think about making a stupid decision.

I know a couple of kids that almost got suspended for half the school year for having their shotgun in their truck at school...their crime?...hunting pheasants on the way to school.

If that was the case in the late 70's when I was in high school, I would have graduated from the state pen.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters