The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Bought these bad boys couple weeks ago.. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bought these bad boys couple weeks ago..
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2014 09:55 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Good piece of glass you picked up there Mark, I've been using the same one's for a few years now. When sitting in the mountains looking for animals for hours on end, good glass really proves itself. Tack on the big Swaro spotting scope to the package and and things really add up quickly...definitely worth a kick if you ask me.

[ May 27, 2014, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2014 10:09 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
A bit of a confession...I actually bought the new SLC 10x42's first. I kept them about a week and sent them back. I was amazed that I couldnt look all the way to the edges without being blurry. I know every model/pair has sweet spots, but this really bugged me, so I upgraded to the EL'S, which are clear all the way to the edges.

Is it worth it? Probably not but I did it and Im glad. I should have dug a little deeper on the net and read more reviews before I chose what to buy.

I will say that I have had some cheaper brands that were pretty clear to the edges, but lacked in other areas. I seem to recall using a pair of SLC;s years ago and had no problem with edge clarity, so I dont really know I guess?
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2014 10:18 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth it if you end up using them a lot. Friends of mine buy cheaper glass and say that it's almost as clear as the Swaro glass, but then complain about headaches after a day glassing through their cheaper priced glass.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2014 10:47 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, and that is exactly why I upgraded TW.
Mark

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We have people here on HM that seem to do well with economy glass, scope and/or bino. I think eyes get old, at some point and that's when you really appreciate the best physics that money can buy.

Now, I gave away a US Navy pair of 7X50's. Big, but good decent glass. Now, we read several comments about vintage glass twenty years old and I have no doubt, they still work.

But, they are always inventing new ED glass and raving about the coatings they use. That they didn't have 5-10-15 or 20 years ago. So, I wonder if it's the pair you have that might be just slightly better calibrated than another pair, at random?

I have a couple pair of military M24's which seem to do just about anything I expect from what are not more than pocket binoculars. Forget who makes them, but they are very serviceable, especially at the price...even trade for an old pair of Navy 7X50's.

As far as range finding stuff. I have a Nikon 1000 and I really like them a lot better than the more expensive Leica's. Same thing, maybe the next pair I pick up, the Leica's will be far better? I don't know if that's a true statement, just ruminations by an old fart.

But, I cast my vote for two different optics, observational glass and range finding. I might like to do a lot of looking, but don't need to range very much of what I'm looking at. Therefore, buying a dual use optic that is not as clear, right out of the gate? I don't think I care for that "advantage"?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS I don't need to know the exact distance of anything beyond 1,000 yards. I'm not that good.

[ May 27, 2014, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31478 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2014 04:37 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly I don't care if they are not making them anymore, if you find a pair of the terripens you can buy them for me if you want, it would be a nice gift from you to me I think, ha. I have tried saving for them a few times and always end up buy some more heifers or something, man I sure wish I had a pair of them. are they going to make anything else in the same price range?

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2014 06:45 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
nope. you would have to have LB's money to buy what they are offering now and in the future.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2014 07:42 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
are they going to make anything else in the same price range
My guess is yes Ryan. Vectronix and leica are owned by the same parent company as I understand it. The same manufacturer makes the same interior components for both. Vectronix military contracts are twilighting, and there is a growing demand for the caliber rangefinder of the terrapin. I would tell you more, but those drones are everywhere......

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2014 04:10 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan, wish I knew you were looking for one!!!

I left my terrapin up at the farm this weekend...

-

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2014 11:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Fred,

According to the news, ( I know, if you can believe them) you NY people have been practically stripped of your firearms. How do you cope? Leave your stuff at the farm, or what? Don't you have to drive through NYC to get upstate?

You are almost as bad off as we Kalifornians. No?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS, my tortoises have a lot more personality.

[ May 29, 2014, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2014 11:24 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Turtle Soup!

--------------------

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2014 12:57 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the info Kelly and gordie, hope gordie is the right one.

btw Kelly, the little brown dog put 19 miles on yesterday morning, wasn't as full of piss and problems last night, ha

--------------------

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2014 04:14 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
good to hear Ryan. I think they will make a dog. We will see.

19 miles following you on a 4 wheeler would wear any of them out lol.

Keep me posted on how he's doing.
kj

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2014 05:39 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
he's fixing to get another dose of it tonight, makes him sleep good, ha

--------------------

Duckdog
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2014 06:42 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Jäger can keep you rich in terrapins Ryan! [Wink]

-

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2014 04:01 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Swaros, turtles, gun laws and dogs, segwayed in one thread! Gotta love this place [Smile]

Leonard, I get by OK here. Just gotta go wit da flow...

BTW, I did some searchin', and that is actually a wood turtle I posted. They are pretty common up around the farm, always called them terrapins? The red eared sliders and painted turtles stick to the ponds, but those wood turtles can get after it and cover some ground!

My buddy has a fancy tortoise he got for his son, who's allergic to furry pets. I think it might be the same kind of little shelled dudes you have???

[ May 30, 2014, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2014 09:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine ain't little, Fred. And, I have a desert box turtle, (Buddy) like the one's above with the pup.

But, my mom and dad, CA desert tortoises are 23 years old. I also have two hatchlings from when mom and dad got busy.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters