The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Bought these bad boys couple weeks ago.. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bought these bad boys couple weeks ago..
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2014 05:24 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else spend stupid money on binos? Wife kicked me in the groinal area afterwords...but dang it was worth it.

-

[ May 05, 2014, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2014 05:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Those 10X42s? You probably deserved the kick. I saw the spotting scope at BassPro yesterday. The body was something like 2300 and the angled eyepiece was another $1700. I have a couple swaros but near as I can tell, AR Shaw owns nothing but. Wish I had his money!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2014 05:51 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I was cheap and bought the SLC 8x30's and love em.

Been lookng at those with built in laser range finders but dang I need a better job.

As they say, buy once, cry once.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2014 05:57 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,10x42's. Wanted 12x50's but didnt want to pony up.

Last pair Ill ever buy probly, unless I get a different wife.
Mark

--------------------

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2014 06:55 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bino snob. I still have the first Swarovski 10x42 SLCs I bought about 15 years ago. Then I stepped up about 5 years ago and bought the Leica Geovids in 10x42 with rangefinder. I just got a package from Leica a few days ago with the new Geovid HD-B in 10 power. They do everything but pull the trigger. I'm impressed so far. The optics are stellar and the range finding is unbelievable.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2014 08:34 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just got a package from Leica a few days ago with the new Geovid HD-B in 10 power.
Really want to hear what you think of them. I would love to have a pair of vectronix Terrapins, but don't see it happening, and have heard they are being discontinued. Heard good things about the HD-B's. Inside deal? HM group buy? Remember a friend?......all things that need askin'!

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2014 08:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be sorta a snob as far as the glass I put on a rifle but not so much on binos. I bought a pair of 9X35 Leupolds more than twenty years ago and they seem adequate? Really, I don't know if I would be tempted if offered half off?

No hate mail, please!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 03:56 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
No hate mail, LB
But I spend hours looking through binos, and seconds looking through a rifle scope.
I still have some nice rifle scopes also! But if I had to pick a place to skimp a bit it would be on the scope not the binos.

CrossJ, I am on Leicas outfitter discount program, so I get a little off. They were still a strain on the checkbook. But so far I am going to say they were worth it. The ballistic program is pretty cool. They figure altitude, angle, barometric pressure into total yardage and you can program them to your particular load. The programming is stupid simple so even I can do it.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 04:27 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been rocking 8.5x42 EL's for about a dozen years. Money well spent.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 05:24 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its a good investment if you are going to use them often. I'm still running a pair of 20 year old Leica Geovids. While not as fancy as Cals HD they still range just fine and have very good glass in them.

Brent

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 06:20 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
G - yep they are not going to make the Terripen anymore. So the local dealer says.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 06:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I cold sure use an interpreter on that one, Kelly. When you get the chance.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 07:03 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
It’s a badass rangefinder these folks used to make. A buddy of mine has one and it ranges first time – every time.
I am still using a Leica 1200. I like it for the size, but sometimes it just don’t work like I think it should.

http://www.vectronix.ch/html/en/products/handheld_equipment/rangefinders/pocket_laser_range_finders/terrapin

If they were still making and supporting this Terrapin. I would be having one. As bad as I would hate to shell out 1800 bucks for one….

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 07:05 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Vectronix Green Terrapin PLRF
Outstanding Range Performance
Measures distances up to 1.5 miles in feet, yards, or meters

The Vectronix Terrapin delivers the smallest, lightest and most powerful laser range finder in its class. Wrapped in a rugged yet lightweight aluminum housing, the Terrapin range finder offers exceptional range out to 2,400 meters and operating capability under a wide variety of environmental conditions. The Terrapin offers water resistance up to 1 m for 60 minutes. The small dimensions of 128 x 104 x 47 mm and the low weight of 500 g make the Terrapin range finder an ideal companion, especially for snipers, marksmen, and for police and law enforcement applications. The power-efficient design allows over 7,000 measurements on two CR123 batteries.

•Weight: 500 g•Dimensions: 128 x 104 x 47 mm (LxWxH)

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 07:15 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

it would have come in handy last weekend while I was trying to hit this white buffalo in eye at 1368 yards...kj

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 07:24 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
That is badazz shootin' @ >3/4 of a mile, Cat Daddy! And with a fast twist, high b.c. .243 caliber???

Mark, congrats on the goggles, dude!!! [Smile]

I've been rockin' a pair of Leica Trinovid 10x42s for a while now. Upgraded the LRF last year to the Leica 1600-B. Super glass for a little bitch, and its got an internal ballistic program that I don't use. I do keep the built-in angle compensator on, so the LRF calculates a true distance over ground to input into Ballistic AE program.

Fun shit, anyway ya look at it!
Enjoy your new goodies, guys...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 07:35 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
115 dtacs out of a 8 twist 243AI.

edit to add Next time I am taking the 7WSM and back up to a mile...

[ May 06, 2014, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 02:39 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, talk about feelings of complete inadequacy. My best pair of binos are demo model Minox 10x42s from Cameraland. Set me back about $170.....

p.s. Awesome shooting, Kelly.

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 03:25 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
You won't regret the purchase Lone Howl. Good glass, no matter the brand, is something that can be enjoye daily.

I went the Swarovski route about 20 years ago with a purchase of 8x30's. Loved them and they gave me many days of enjoyment. Well worth the money in every way.

About 4 years ago, after a camping trip over Labor Day, they came up missing... Still not sure if they were lost or stolen. I was literally sick. Tuesday morning rolled around and I ordered another pair of 8x30's and fortunately still have them.

I'd quickly sell a rifle to get another set of quality binos, if needed.

[ May 06, 2014, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rick Howard
Member # 4481

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 03:48 PM      Profile for Rick Howard   Email Rick Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Spying on the neighbors, Mark? Those whacky hendersons are always up to something. I think they are hiding big foot.
Posts: 12 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2014 05:10 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol yeah, was in the backyard looking at stuff when I got em and neighbor behind me caught me. Probly thinks I'm a kook.

--------------------

Rick Howard
Member # 4481

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2014 02:51 AM      Profile for Rick Howard   Email Rick Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
My neighbors think I torture animals in my basement. They too think I'm a kook.

Nice lookers, by the way.

[ May 08, 2014, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: Rick Howard ]

Posts: 12 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2014 10:13 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, if a guy is gonna get kicked for buying hunting stuff, I think you picked the right stuff. I went thru a pair of Swaro 8x56 & 8x40 SLC's before settling on 8x30's. I looked hard at all of the various Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss & Meoptas and the 8x30 SLC probably isn't the best but they are the heaviest Binos that I'm going to wear around my neck (17oz) and hunt all day with. I made my choice several years ago, before the magnesium frame EL's came out so my info is old. I have always said "buy the best that you can afford".

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2014 03:38 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind a nice pair of quality 8x30somethings, for more weight conscious pursuits.

Just picked up a sweet little piece of glass, myself. Been keeping an eye out and stole one off eGay, its a Nikon ED50a compact spotting scope. With 13-30x eyepiece, the spotter weighs ~9oz. LESS than my 10x42 Trinovid BNs!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2014 11:07 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
I had the leica 10 x 40 hdb. Kept going to my swaro 10x42 slc to better define long distance targets. Called leica and told them this. Tech said that is very possible, he said there is no way to put range finding in a binocular without affecting the sweet spot. I also called swaro and got a similar response. I ended up going back to a dedicated rangefinder and set of binos. I have a hard time giving up optics performance for rangefinding..although the built in ballistics compensation was useful in the lrica hdb and 1600b
Something to consider. If the optics in a rangefinder bino is way better than what you were using , then that may be a step up. I also found the rf in the leica hdb was not nearly as repeatable and dependable as the 1600b stand alone rangefinder. Although i know of some who did not experience the same.
I have a set of slc10x42 approaching 20 years, have had 8x30,10x50,still have leitz8x32 excellent and some 60 year old 8x32 swaro that are incredible. Tried the 10x42hd and just couldn't see the improvement ffrom my old 10x42 slc neu. So i tried but am back to where i started20 years ago.

[ May 26, 2014, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: 6mm284 ]

Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters