The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » A Sunny Day Rainbow (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A Sunny Day Rainbow
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 04:51 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Rainbow trout that is. Hope I'm not boring you guys to death with the fishing pictures lately, but I'm pretty happy with this fish.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 06:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a nice fish, Troy!

I would consider having a mount made, if it were me. I had one done of a Wahoo I caught down in Cabo and never regretted it.

My Dad caught a fish very similar to yours except it was a female. The photo of him with that fish is quite a treasure, which I took, had enlarged, and custom framed and presented to him. My sister's daughter wound up with it. One of life's little annoyances.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31466 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 06:12 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Two words "NICE FISH"

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 06:36 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Your killing me! I brought up this pic while working..

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 07:40 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! Nice!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 08:02 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I would be grinning like the village idiot with a fish like that.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 09:04 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, Troy! Guess I am used to catching the hatchery raised trout here in Kansas that are around 10" long and 8-12 ounces...how big is that one?

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 09:33 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Booger a little over 24". I have no idea what he weighed though. I have a goal to catch a rainbow and a brown of 25" or better (preferably better) before I will call the taxidermist. Came real close with this fish, but he wasn't quite there so he went right back into the water.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 10:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Troy, they do it with a bunch of photographs, (that you take) and an Internet search to find a cast, or make one if one cannot be found, then the artist, much like yourself, works with the acrylics and creates a virtual and exact replica, which is better and longer lasting and doesn't involve killing the fish. Kind of the modern method instead of skinning actual organic material. It's no more fake than a photograph.

And, not doing it because of fractions?

You know, I killed the largest badger I have ever seen, should have done a rug but didn't because maybe there is a bigger one, etc. Never happened but I didn't even get a pic, a damned shame, and that's the difference between catch and release and hunting.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS my dad's fish was a little over 24"

[ May 01, 2014, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 10:13 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard appreciate the info on replica's. I'm pretty familiar with them. Can't quite warm up to them though. As for catching a bigger fish. I had two up to the bank and was reaching for them when they broke off. Both were as big if not bigger than the one in the photo. Plus, I had one fish that I hooked that just took off. It felt like I'd hooked the bottom of the river. He got in the current and my drag was just screaming. Then all of the sudden "tink" my line broke. I was fishing a Rapala with a Rapala loop knot. The knot held but the loop split in half. That fish felt stronger by quite a bit than anything else I caught. He did break the surface once and showed me the top of his head and back. He was a very big fish. Anyway, after all the line failures I switched line and didn't lose anymore fish. Next time I go back I will make sure that the line is not the weak link so to speak. Sure won't be using Stren Magathin ever again! Lost over $40.00 worth of lures to that line yesterday. > [Frown]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 11:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Stren is kinda doggy, lots of better.

But, we all have had a few break off and of course, they were monsters.

Hope you get the one you are looking for. LB

And, my future Brown mount wouldn't have to be anywhere near 25".

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 11:17 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you guys tried fluorocarbon much?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 11:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My Wahoo, and you can't tell it from a flesh and bones taxidermy.
Cost me (I think) $500, I don't know about others, but this thing will outlast me.

-

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 11:44 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Troy I love the fluorocarbon. I have a couple spools of 6 lbs and 10 lbs. I also love to use the no stretch fluorescent green fireline 8 lbs with a two foot fluorocarbon leader. Works great for trout, catfish, walleyes, wipers, and perch.

Good Hunting( and fishing) Chad

Posts: 1613 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 12:16 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,thanks for the information.

Leonard cool mount. Do you have a photo of it directly from the side? Those fish are super cool btw. I doubt I will ever catch one, but if I did I'd want it all the wall as well.

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 12:23 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some pic's of some the little one's. All are 20 to 22" by the way. [Smile]
 -

-

The 22 incher. He was pretty stout.
 -

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2014 02:33 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The `little ones` are 20 to 22 inches ???? [Eek!]

I'm beginning to hate you !!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2014 06:10 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Troy,
Great photos, thanks.

I've fished quite a few fluorocarbon lines. My favorite and one of the cheaper brands I like is called Super FC Sniper. I've landed some huge trout on the Kenai with 6lb and 8lb FC Sniper line as well as the incidental salmon. For the most part though on spinning reels, I've been a Maxima Ultragreen line guy. That stuff is "the" line to use when strength and abrasion resistance is necessary. I've tried all of the other standard mono's out there and Maxima straight up smokes them all. Second favorite was Ande line. Unless you're fishing to seriously spooky fish like New Zealand trout or something, fluorocarbon isn't totally necessary on a spinning outfit I'd say. I remember some rivers in Montana though where fluorocarbon might have made the difference.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2014 09:05 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Tundra there's also the fact that fluoro sinks. That can make a difference depending on where the fish are holding. Most of the time it is near the bottom. If I'm not mistaken that Green Maxima is not sinking line is it?
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2014 10:38 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Maxima is buoyant neutral. For fly fishing, I'll run a 8 foot mono leader and then 3 feet of fluoro for bouncing beads. I have usually preferred a mono on rivers, especially when casting into thicker, bushy areas where the line is prone to catching up on things under the water level. When I'm tossing hardware though, my Vibrax, Rapala's and jigs get down pretty quickly and I haven't noticed much difference between the two types of lines. The only place I really notice the difference in using fluoro was in New Zealand in their crystal clear waters and spooky trout and bouncing beads. Those trout seem to put on their spectacles when eyeing a bead it seems.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2014 02:18 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Several benefits to reproduction fish over natural real fish mounts. Of course, there's the catch and release aspect. But also, a repro can be repaired much more easily than the real deal. if the mount falls from the wall or is roughed up by someone handling it or during a move, the repair work is simple plug and play. A fin gets broken or splits, it's easily removed and replaced, repainted and no one will ever know. Salmonids, like salmon and trout, are notorious about greasing through the skin and paint work in the head which, aside from the skin, is the only part of the original fish retained in a life mount. With a reproduction, that is a non-factor. You just need to shop around and look for different taxis' prior work to see how they do. Price per inch should be comparable.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2014 04:10 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, those 'bows are just gorgeous!!!

We use fluoro for leader material quite a bit in the salt. Thanks to the smaller visual signature in water, fluoro allows me to run a heavier leader over mono, plus has the added benefit of being more abrasion resistant than mono. That helps bigtime when trying to fool line shy species into biting...
 -

When we're tuna fishing with bait, we can sometimes chum the tuna close enough to the boat to actually see a tuna refuse a bait! They will eat free thrown chunks, but veer away from a hooked chunk, cuz they see the leader!!! Happens even with fluoro, too. In those instances, our hand is forced, so we just keep scaling down in fluoro leader size until the bites start happening. Sometime have to go as low as 30lb. leader to get a hookup...that's stacking the odds against us when the fish get to be decent size.
Circle hooks are the norm, to try to get a corner mouth hookset, which ideally, will keep the light leader from chaffing across their tiny teeth...
 -

May not be able to discern the difference in the lightweight diameters, but fluoro is alot more stiff and tricky to tie knots with, as compared to supple mono. I usually go with a Palomar knot for 20-80lb. fluoro. Heavier than that, leaders get crimped...

[ May 07, 2014, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2014 07:38 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Knockemdown, first off, WOW! Fish like that are only a pipe dream for a guy like me. Again WOW! So what brand of fluoro are you using?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2014 08:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, that's you with the Bluefin, right? I can tell because of the no hair. And, that looks like a Blue Marlin, exactly the same as we have on the left coast? And a size that would actually fit on a wall.

I wondered, when you wrote chumming for tuna, hey they don't have yellowfin over there, do they? But then I saw the pic. You guys use a Zucker's until you get a visual on Marlin and then feed him a mackerel? You use "tuna tubes", right?

Man, offshore bill fishing is just about the ultimate. I wish I could afford to do more of it. Besides, I'm kinda scared of Mexico anymore.

Hey, let's enter the Bisbee this year!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2014 10:32 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Ursus! Funny, I dream of catching those big trout...its all relative to what's around to chase!!! I use Seaguar and Momoi fluoro...

Leonard, that is a bluefin. We get them from 15 lb. 'footballs'....all the way to to large school & true giant size. Giant is >73" forklength and will be at pushing 300# in the round. This is the more typical size we catch on the troll, a ~60 lber...
 -

We have yellowfins & longfin (true) albacore here, but they are found in the deeper canyon waters beyond 50fathoms. The tip of Hudson Canyon is 74nm from our inlet buoy, so its a long ride to get to yellowfin/marlin country! Bluefins can be caught in as little as 15fathoms, but bluefin hunting is best in 25-50 fathoms depth. Considering the gentle slope of our Continental shelf waters, reaching that depth means a 30-60mile boatride, one way...
Look at this pic, you can tell a yellowfin from a bluefin by the length of their pectoral fins. A yellowfin's pec fins are long enough to reach the anal fins. Whereas, a bluefin's pec fins are more stubby, and will not reach the anal fin when closed up against the body...

These are typical 40-60lb. canyon yellowfins (and holding two tilefish from our bottom drops):
 -

That marlin above is a white marlin. We have BIG blue marlin that haunt the canyons in the mid-late summer. They eat those 40-60 lb. yellowfins like Skittles!!!

[ May 07, 2014, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters