The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Cabin Fever Cure (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cabin Fever Cure
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2014 08:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I have always marveled at the frogs in southern Arizona that only appear during a heavy rain, what they call monsoons. I have seen them so thick on the highway you HAVE TO slow down, running over frogs is slippery as snot-and I mean it literally!

Next day, you may see a few that got hung up in a puddle, but 99.9% of them have dug into the sand until next year or as long as it takes. It's amazing. Rain in the desert is already amazing, I love it!

Oh, and these are not little frogs, they are big, fat toads. (I guess?) Big as your hand.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2014 07:32 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA, I've seen that same thing in arid desert country in regards to minnows. Makes me scratch my head every time I come across something like that. Just a question in regards to the frogs, are you sure they weren't some type of toad? I've run into lots of toads and toad-tad poles in the desert but not many froggy-frogs. Speaking of frogs though, I was high up the mountains on the edge of the Bob Marshall Wilderness last summer. Just before dark at night frogs were all over the roads. I've spent a lifetime running around in the mountains and I've never seen anything like this before. They were little buggers, I suspect leopard frogs or something closely related. Sure as weird to hear wolves howling, keep an eye out for grizzlies, and be surrounded by frogs everywhere all at the same time.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2014 07:51 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee;
You're supposed to lick those toads that your find here in Az. for good luck.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2014 07:54 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Troy, I have to admit I don't know a toad from a frog. Unless it's a bull frog, pretty hard to get them wrong.

Which, by the way, last time I saw a bull frog was in some high desert country, outside of Caliente at Beaver Dam.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2014 08:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in Minneesota, so please don't hold it against me! Lots of lakes and many times, a swamp close by. I know what a leopard frog is and I have seen fat toads in virtually the same situations. Sometimes, they are both on dry land, but one thing I do notice is that toads seem a lot more nocturnal?

So, are those desert frogs or toads? To me they are kinda in-between, hard to classify. For one thing, burying in sand for a year after a whole night of wild sex is uncommon, but it is what it is.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2014 10:19 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't believe that Fairabanks Alaska has frogs. The little Wood frog's go into a near death freeze.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/08/21/how-the-alaska-wood-frog-survives-being-frozen/

Dave,
How do you like those Sawyer water bladders? I have some for my sheep hunt, but have heard mention that they can develop holes pretty easy. I've run Platypus forever, so going to the Sawyer is just a little bit of a weight savings strategy.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2014 10:25 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't believe that Fairabanks Alaska has frogs. The little Wood frog's go into a near death freeze.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/08/21/how-the-alaska-wood-frog-survives-being-frozen/

Dave,
How do you like those Sawyer water bladders? I have some for my sheep hunt, but have heard mention that they can develop holes pretty easy. I've run Platypus forever, so going to the Sawyer is just a little bit of a weight savings strategy.

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2014 10:34 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sawyer is pretty good. The older bladders that came with them are weak - tend to split. The newer ones, as of last year, are a good bit stronger. I carry a spare, just in case.

I take it and use it where I'm expecting stained, muddy type water. Stuff that has lots of visible material I'd just as soon filter out. Desert and canyon type stuff.

For mountain trips where clear water is easy to find, I use a Steripen and like it a lot better.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2014 10:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know? Yes, it's remarkable frogs freeze and don't die, but.

I remember when I was just a little boy, too young for the rigors of ice fishing. My dad brought home a mess of fish and threw them in the bathtub and ran water. They all started flopping around, and swimming when there was enough water for them to turn upright.

Maybe we should all look into cryogenic freezing of our amputated noggins? Let's wait until we almost expire, first. Hey, how is Ted Williams doing?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2014 05:03 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Teds a little cold other than that hes doin fine...

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2014 06:44 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave. In the mountains, I'll use the Sawyer mini filter and when I get high enough up, I'll typically drink the water without filtering. Works well, and that cold water coming out of the sides of the mountains is better than anything bottled I've ever had for sure.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters