The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Snowmobiler Kills Moose with a Glock (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Snowmobiler Kills Moose with a Glock
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2014 10:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, many times I have held on to the railings and extended my legs to fend off sail boaters that can't control their vessel. And, of course, they always have the right of way over power boats, port, starboard, either or, or both. Drinking involved, they still have right of way.

However, I don't agree with your assessment that there was some error in the guy advancing on the moose. In many cases, that might be all it takes to get them moving. In this case, didn't work, but that is hindsight, as 49 correctly pointed out.

Also, as far as that "turn off" that might have gone nowhere, it was not far past the moose where everything opened up and we have no inclination as to whether the guy turned around and did something with the animal, dispatching or dressing. So, the folks distressed about the condition of the poor animal have no case; it's just speculation.

People get so damned emotional when there is an animal involved, but like somebody above pointed out, it's just a moose, and if it had been hit by a car on the freeway, no cause for shedding a tear.

I am starting to get off the fence on this issue, thinking about the anthropomorphic angle. People waste too much emotion worrying about pain for a leg hold trapped fox, stuff like that. I think the guy in the video was rattled and maybe a bit too quick on the trigger but there again, I wasn't there, and a fucking bull moose weighs closer to 2,000 pounds than 1,000, never mind beating the hell out of your form of transportation, perhaps miles of walking away from relief.

I just don't know but I am willing to give the snowmobiler the benefit of the doubt. And sure as hell don't think he deserves the lunatic solutions in the comments to the video.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2014 01:17 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of truth to your statement LB. Hundreds of thousands of deer hit and killed on the highways every year, nobody gives a shit, but let me snare one accidentally somewhere where somebody sees it and the shitstorm is unbelievable. And I just catch hell from the game and fish, but yet they won't even pick one up in the road ditch.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2014 02:18 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking out loud.........take it for what it's worth.

Seems to me that the guy didn't go looking for the moose; the moose found him. He may (or may not) have used poor judgement but I see no malicious forethought.
And;
If he had been unarmed and the moose had pounded him into snowmobile/people paste, wouldn't we now be mocking him for not carrying a gun to defend himself with ??

I dunno.........but if I'm sitting in the open, miles from nowhere, looking up at an angry animal towering over me, I'm gonna shit myself and shoot 'til the clips empty.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2014 05:04 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong, I ain't crying over spilled moose.
Just sayin' that actually shooting the moose, as it stood in the video, would not be my option #1 to exercise.
Maybe you guys could explain how just waiting the moose out for a few minutes would not have been an option?
If the sledders were out joyriding, what's the friggin' rush to shoot your way down the trail, anyway?
Why are the devil's advocates here not conceding that exercising a bit of patience may well have diffused the confrontation?

I'll be curious to see what, if any charges are levied. From the AG&F laws Wookie cites regarding the incident, it would appear the guy is gonna get a spankin'...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2014 05:50 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't give a fuck about the moose either. But I still think the guy is a jack ass for riding right up on it and forcing the issue the way he did. If he didn't know any better then he's both a jack ass and a moron.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2014 07:55 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it was in Colorado..

http://www.10news.com/news/u-s-world/moose-rams-snowmobile-chases-snowmobiler-down-path-022614

Until you've had to deal with mad moose on a trail like this, it's all speculation on "what if". I've dealt with enough of them mushing dogs and running snowmachines to know this guy handled this situation very poorly. Chances are if he would have done a couple things differently he wouldn't have had to get a front kick from a moose or have to shoot it. I'm not against shooting moose...on the contrary, I love a freezer full of it.

Forget the trail off to the left, take that option off the table for now. Let's just assume the guy didn't see it and was focused on the moose.

If he was honestly concerned with not confronting the moose, he should have just stopped where he was and given the moose some distance and time. Chances are that moose would have calmed down and gone towards the opening. If his machine had reverse, which many new one's do...that would have been a very good option to use.

If he didn't have reverse or simply did not know what to do (which he doesn't), he could have stopped, waited for his friends to show up behind him and simply waited to see what the moose did. Put the two snowmachines on the trail between the moose and the people, get the gun out, and see if the moose advances closer or turns around. If the moose would have advanced and there was no way to scare it off with a shot into the woods (in the direction of the moose)....THEN I would say unload on that moose and protect yourself.

Hindsight is 20/20 and we have no idea if this guy is a tourist who rented that machine, or not. The guy knows how to shoot pretty well though and did a good job hitting the mark.

Advancing forward on the machine was a totally foolish idea and would be what the trooper here in Alaska would probably given him a citation for I'm sure. It sounds like Colorado has the same types of laws though, so it'll be interesting to see if he's cited.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2014 05:10 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
guess someone needs to write the "handbook for close moose encounters", so that everyone will know what to do, or not to do, when you find yourself eye to eye with a moose. The booklet should include the many different scenarios that one might encounter, such as "close encounters with cow moose with young calf", and "close encounters with bull moose in rut", and "close encounters on the snowmobile trail", THAT way all the Monday morning quarterbacks will be able to direct everyone to the written rules that everyone seems to already know by heart, except the poor guy that posted this video.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2014 05:58 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
except the poor guy that posted this video.

That right there is the key! I don't know shit about moose except they're friggin' big, and I've seen in some video that they can be grouchy. Don't believe I would have advanced down the trail, but I'm not sure how long he had been sitting there. That said, I would have been ready to shoot a lot sooner than the moose murderer. He would have taken fire before he got close enough to strike the sled for damn sure. I'm leaning toward poor judgment on the part of the shooter though.

Like has been mentioned, I sure as HELL would have never posted my GoPro video for all to see, critique, and probably cite me. Dumbass!!

[ March 03, 2014, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: jimanaz ]

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2014 07:49 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's hard to assume that most people know not to approach an animal that is acting abnormal. I'll work on the book though and leave notes for a comment section if you want though TrNco?

Chapter 1 would be....The Do's and Do Nots of GoPro'ing..

Chapter 2....Approach animals that act abnormal or menacing if you want to get your face kicked in.

Common sense simply does not apply to some people in many situations.

[ March 03, 2014, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2014 08:03 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
What the fvck is wrong with a society that has to "selfie" and "GoPro" every single experience they have in life..... bunch of foolhardy morons!! As far as the incident with the moose.... meh, whatever, it could go either way.

I do like Cals bear story though!

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2014 08:11 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody wants to be famous on the internet. It's a society who wants instant happiness and pleasure..
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2014 07:50 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone in this day and age recreating in the winter backcountry that doesn't know any better than to ride up on any winter stressed animal in the snow on any vehicle is an idiot and exactly the kind of fucktard that gets trails closed and motorized vehicles banned.

But the absolute, iron clad, prima facie evidence that the guy is a complete moron lies in the simple fact that he posted the video.

You tell me who posts something like that of themself except a Fucking IDIOT. Case closed.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2014 03:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that, BUT.

I bet he sent the video to a friend that stabbed him in the back, 'cause. Nobody's that stupid.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2014 04:38 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Sarcasm is one of my favorite things in the whole wide world.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2014 05:02 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a situation of "bad timing"

Bad timing for a dude to ride up on a moose...

Bad timing for the moose to fuck with a guy that's packing..

It's amazing how many other forums are talking about this vid.

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters