The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Insanity or Therapy???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insanity or Therapy???
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 06:36 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine talked me into traversing Marias Pass over the weekend to do a little ice fishing with him over near Whitefish. I hadn't been outside doing much of anything in a while, and decided I really needed a break from work and other demanding obligations. So I jumped in my pick up and headed West. At first the roads were great from Great Falls to Browning but shortly after Browning they started to deteriorate.
 -

Then they got really bad bad with 70+mph wind, blowing snow so bad that it often was a complete white out. I drove through about 100 miles of this crap to get to where I needed to go.
 -

However once we got on the lake and started fishing life instantly got better. We had some success, and more importantly I was able to renew an old friendship that I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed.

Me with part of the day's catch. We each caught about double of what we kept. The smaller one's all went back in the water.
 -

I had been watching the weather and was more than a little concerned about the ride home. Tuesday morning when I looked out my hotel window this is the site that greeted me. Needless to say I was less than thrilled.
 -

As I worked my way down the icy streets towards Columbia Falls this sign was right at the mouth of the canyon at the beginning of my long journey home. Something about avalanches doesn't exactly lower one's blood pressure. It didn't help that a skier had been caught in one while I was out there either.
 -

The winding road up through south Glacier was pretty tricky. It was very slow going unless you had brain damage and were from Alberta Canada. Every idiot I saw driving way too fast had Alberta plates. You'd think of all people they'd know better. I guess you just can't fix stupid in some people. It took me a little over 2 hours to make it 63 miles. The snow banks along the road were 8 to 12 feet deep or more. I'm just glad my truck didn't break down or anything. That would have been very bad. Despite the stressful driving conditions it really is a beautiful area to see.
 -

All I can say is I was very relieved to reach Browning Montana as the roads started to clear up a little more from there. I was never so glad to see I-15 and turn South for home. The prairie never looked so good. I guarantee I will never make that drive in the winter again. Lesson learned! I'm still trying to decide if it was all good therapy or if I should have my head checked for insanity. Either way, I'll be back out there this spring and summer when the water is soft, and hopefully land a few more fish, while spending quality time with great people.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 08:06 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome photos and story Troy, thanks for sharing. How deep of water were you jigging in?

Speaking of avalanche. Here's a short clip of a big one that blocked the highway to Valdez in January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icC6Zj5AIKw

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 08:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post Troy!

Man, that winter weather can get your attention! As far as Alberta, I know where they are going. Phoenix! Particularly the west side. Apparently, they have a lot of money because of the oil boom?

My friend, Albert Pilling lives in Sack but works in Alberta oilfields. He got out of the wheat business and is doing very well. He has also become a local legend, just about the best coyote hunter in the area.

He said a lot of the videos by Les Johnson, (and others) are made just south of where he lives.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS what are those fish? Looks kinda like small mouth or perch, can't quite figure out?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 08:08 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Few things are finer than a shore lunch of Yellow Perch.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 08:21 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard they are yellow perch.

Tundra we were jigging in about 24 feet of water.
 -

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 08:31 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I really used to enjoy a big batch of fried perch. Those are pretty good sized fish.
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 10:12 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Troy! You certainly live in God's Country...my mom reminded me the other day that I continually reminded her when I was about 7 or 8 I was fixated on living in Montana.

I guess I got it from reading dad's Outdoor Life magazines...you certainly perked my interest again!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 10:37 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd call that therapy.

Insanity would be driving on that shit, but surrounded on four sides with other vehicles cramped up on ya within a 1/2 car length, at full highway speed.
That's how we roll here...INSANITY at its finest!

Great pics, those pretty perch make for tastey morsels!!!

[ February 19, 2014, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 12:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, "yellow" perch it is. We had perch in Minneesota but they were more torpedo shaped and generally not that big. Maybe we did have yellow perch because every once in a while would snag a big perch while trolling? They are very good eating, however. And, I'm not that much of a fish eater, they smell like pussy.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 01:21 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
These were the size perch we were hoping for. We caught these a couple years ago out of the same lake, but the big boys just weren't biting this time around.
 -

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 02:23 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some football model Perch, very nice!
tedo
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2014 02:25 PM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was down in Valdez when the avalanche occured. They were able to open the road on my last day of work. Last day meaning I just retired from the tug Captain gig after alot of years and was looking forward to leaving Valdez! Did have a backup plan on the ferry to Whittier
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters