The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » ALASKA the last frontier

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ALASKA the last frontier
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 27, 2014 12:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am continually amazed that none of these guys can shoot! But, that's not my point.

Last night they showed the boys loading ammo. All of it was very conventional. But, my god! The tweets! People, (mostly women, for some reason?) were beside themselves with wonder and praise for "recycling" bullets, like it's some new development. Comments like, "I had no idea!", "Wow!" etc.

My opinion has always been, if you shoot centerfire anything, you should be handloading. I had no idea this was such an obscure part of the shooting sports industry. Well, I guess if you aren't a shooter, there is no reason why you should be aware, but are we not a major segment of the industry? I have always thought so?

The only one I am aware of on this Board that doesn't reload is Lance. Are there others? It's okay, if you don't but you are certainly missing out.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 12:37 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just going out on a limb here but I figure part of the reason that they, in remote AK., don't reload is because they don't shoot that much ammo. It's not like they go out and shoot colony rats, or do any long range compitition shooting. They pull their rifles out once a year and go kill a years worth of meat, and put the rifle in the corner in case a bear happens by.
As hard as it is to get/find reloading supplies down here in the lower 48, I can't imagine how hard it would be to get up there.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 01:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had 2,000 Federal 210M dropped on my doorstep this morning.

In the movie, No Country For Old Men, the antelope hunter picked up and put the empty cartridge case in his shirt pocket. I assume he was a reloader? Doesn't everybody?

Good hunting El Bee

edit: besides that, you miss the point. It is the yahoos on Twitter that don't have a clue, not the Kelchers.

[ January 27, 2014, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 01:55 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Well on that note, my MIL who got a late start in shooting, didn't know that her .38 special ammo. could be reloaded, or any ammo. for that matter. I'm sure there's lots like her that don't have a clue about all things that go "BANG".
Off the top of my head I could name two handfulls of guys that shoot/hunt that don't reload. So there's no shortage of guys that don't see the need.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 02:12 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm about to go off on a tangent here, but the whole reality TV thing in general is a little too strange for me. Alaska The Last Frontier agitates me quite a bit. None of those Kilcher's seem like most of the local Alaskan's I met while I was up there. The show kind'a portrays everyone as living on the edge of starvation, in the middle of nowhere, and being fiercely independent and living off the land. I find this all pretty hard to believe. While I like Atz the best of the bunch, the dude has a 5 million dollar net worth, and has a daughter (Jewell, yes the singer) worth 30 million or more. I'm pretty sure they have about any reloading supplies they want, along with more guns and ammo that one guy ought to be allowed to own in one life time. If they don't they certainly can afford it. I'm not knocking people for being well off, I just don't like the way the show portrays everyone as being quite the opposite of weathly. Heck even Otto that looks like he's one step above being homeless has a net worth of 4 million dollars. I guess it just boils down to so much of reality TV has very little that is "real", I suppose.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 02:15 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I watch it last night they were talking about how much it took to sight a gun in. It was way over 20 rounds I think, either there just playing it up for the show or they can't hit a thing.
Started reloading back in the early 70s, now two of my sons reload.

W

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
tedo
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 07:45 AM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
The reality of the Alaska reality shows are they are mostly bullshit.
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 08:29 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Tedo, they sure don't paint you guys as a very intelligent lot up there. Thank goodness I've been to Alaska and know otherwise.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 08:32 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... Another TV show I had never even heard of before, let alone watched.

It doesn't sound like I'm missing anything.

Jewel... I do know who she is. Nice rack, bad teeth. Never heard her sing but have been told she has a nice voice.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 10:09 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Most of those clowns give any normal, thinking Alaskan a bad name. There is a reason most of them are at the end of the road. I don't watch those shows but hear enough about them to know where I don't want to go hunting or shooting.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 10:12 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not reloaded since 1997 or so. I moved and have not got things set up since. I still have everything, just not a place to do it. I guess you could say I have just been collecting brass.

I have not seen the show either. Is there a token gay couple in it?

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 01:51 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Used to reload, not anymore. Used to be because it was because of availability of specific bullets etc. Just couldn't find what I wanted. Now I shoot 223 22-250 and 243 and have no troubles finding, until recently, and shooting accurate loads from the factory of just the type of bullets I want. I think factory ammunition has come a long ways in the last decade or more.

I think the more critical aspect is shooting factory ammo or reloads in a good rifle. Good trigger etc. The other thing is rifle cleaning etc. very few do that correctly including me until schooled by some long range guys in this outfit.

Scope mounts etc all play into it. Not to mention practice! I've seen guys have the best of everything and still can't hit crap. Seen other guys with crap and hit everything????

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 04:25 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Only show I follow on tv currently is: The Blacklist, on NBC.

Am looking forward to watching KJ on Foxpro Furtakers, should be the highlight of the season!

Sooooooo glad to have started reloading, can't imagine not doing it!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 07:12 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I load now, Leonard. Before, when I was shooting Bitterroot Valley Arms Co.'s 22-250 loads, I just couldn't see getting geared up to replace a round that was clover leafing four under a nickel at a hundred yards for just pennies per round what I could load them for. I'm still burning up the last two dozen of that case I bought year before last, but have a shelf full of material to load several hundred rounds in the next few weeks. I just have to take the time to do the final tweaking on the rounds I'll be using. Recently picked up dies for .223 too. Interestingly, we had an area guy who loads for market tell me that BVAC is the only company that remanufactures once fired brass that his stuff can't beat on accuracy. Sadly, we have a Hodgdon plant less than 30 minutes from my house and no way to get a "deal" on powder. Go figure. I suspect I'll be ass deep in this before too long, but have too many irons in the fire these days with family issues to commit the time necessary to get into it now. Looking forward to it, all the same. Interesting stuff.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2014 10:25 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I started reloading in about 1964 mostly because it actually was cheaper than buying new ammo for my 243, 222 and 22-250. Actually, I got one of the very first factory made 22-250's, a Sako Forester from Cole's in Inglewood. The cartridge was new and ammo was hard to find so I got some 250 brass and necked it down so I could shoot it.

I moved to SE Alaska in '74 and up there a 22-250 really doesn't have many uses. I bought a 7mm Rem Mag and did load for it for a while but sometimes components were difficult to come by and I didn't shoot the rifle enough anyway so I bought ammo for it. We were allowed 4 deer per season but I only shot a couple each year killing them both on the same day many times. I did kill a few mountain goats and caribou but it still didn't make reloading worth while. All the while I lived up there I shot trap and loaded about 500 shotshells per week.

When I got back to the lower 48 and started calling again I started loading again, too. These days I could probably save money by buying factory stuff mostly because I've upgraded my gear to the point of ridiculous but I enjoy it.

That Alaska show cracks me up. They make it sound like they're in the bush but they live on the road system not far from a town. It's mostly BS.

[ February 01, 2014, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Moe ]

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters