The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Getting that time... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Getting that time...
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 05:44 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a new lens for my camera a couple days ago. Took it out for it's first test drive today. Got some pretty good pictures. Coyotes were moving pretty good today too, saw pairs mostly, with several nose-to-ass sightings.

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 05:48 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus, I want to be reincarnated as Dave Affleck.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 06:14 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful Work.
What lens?
I got rid of my Canon 35-350L and am looking for something new.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 06:31 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, it's a Tamron 150-600, $1069.

I bought it hoping for better than I've been able to do with my Sigma 150-500. Not totally convinced it's an upgrade yet - I might decide to return it.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 10:39 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I have that same sigma lens for my old 35mm. I haven't gotten unpoor enough to upgrade to digital yet. I wonder, will that lens of mine work with a digital body?

Great pictures Dave!!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 11:08 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave. I enjoy every shot you share.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 05:30 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to that!
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 05:53 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
fukkin' A, DAVE!
Your pictures are superb!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 06:15 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys!

Danny, I really don't know about your old lens on a digital camera. If it's a Canon and it's an EF mount, it will work, but won't autofocus. Might not auto expose either. Really not sure!

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 07:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, superb photos! Dave has talent. And, my coyote calendar goes through the end of this month. THEN WHAT?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS that is one calendar I won't throw away, I think I will staple them on the walls in my shop.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 11:39 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
You really do have a talent Dave. I'm sure it's not as easy as you make it look.. [Big Grin]

Keep it up, hope you enjoy it as much as we do viewing your work..

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 02:09 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave.
I have struggled between Sigma and Tamron. During the inner debate I bought a Canon 75-350L and was totally unhappy with it. You seem to come up with outstanding photos with bother your brands.
Last question: Is your new lens an IS lens?

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 08:34 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, yup, both the Sigma and the Tamron have IS (Sigma calls it OS, Tamron calls it VC). No way I'd ever be able to shoot 500mm and 600mm handheld without it!

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 08:39 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW... I'm thinking of having a 20x30 print done for one of these. So I consulted a friend with lots of experience. He says with all the white snow I should consider having it done on aluminum (actually printed on 1/8 sheet). Says it would really pop and look better than can be done on paper. So I checked into that...

$200!!! For ONE!

Don't think I'm gonna go there...

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 11:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah right, Dave! With the money you drop on lenses, what's the purpose, besides high quality prints? Just think of it as less than half a new barrel. [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS the last one is the one I would do

edit: how long does a battery last on the stabilization gyro?

[ January 28, 2014, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 01:16 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
That last one already almost looks 3-D.
If it `popped` it would look so real it would frighten me.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 01:23 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I haven't run out of battery yet, so can't say. At least 600 shots though.

I'll do a print, for sure, but might have to skip the metal... I can get a 20x30 on matte paper done at Costco for about $10. Spend another $20 on a cheap frame and be good. One of those metal prints would be bad azz though! Maybe I'll split the difference and do canvas?

Which one is a tough choice too! My first thought was the same one, the last one. But looking at it more, I kind of don't like the brush in the front, it's distracting. The one with the nose down is cleaner. Dunno... Guess if I do Costco, I can do both [Big Grin] .

Brings up a different subject though. I'm TERRIBLE at picking the ones other people are going to like. Usually know what my favorites are without much thinking. But very often am quite surprised which ones everybody else picks.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 01:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the twigs might be a little distracting and, (on the other hand) they might lend a natural world look to it? Besides, the head and face on that one looks lifelike, meaning, not a photograph.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 05:15 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Still haven't finished going through them all. How 'bout this one?

-

- DAA

--------------------

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2014 06:39 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Awsome, other than the limp.

Are you going to do another calendar?

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2014 10:34 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Echoing the accolades. Great photography. I have a Canon A1 with some high quality lenses but since the digital age we'd fallen into the pocket size camera and I haven't done much photography work.

My wife wanted a Nikon SLR, not top of the line but close, but we really haven't done much with it yet.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2014 02:52 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave,
Can you get a clean focus on full zoom using a monopod or do you have to use a tripod?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2014 03:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He said above it's hand held with a stabilizer.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2014 06:30 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave,
Can you get a clean focus on full zoom using a monopod or do you have to use a tripod?

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2014 04:05 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost never use a tripod.

- DAA

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters