The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Lone survivor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lone survivor
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2014 08:25 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably as good a movie as I ever saw. Proper tribute to the SEAL training in the beginning and plenty of respect at the end for those involved. When it was over, there was hardly a word spoken by the exiting crowd.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 02:00 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear. Maybe time to try a movie again.
Thanks.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 04:52 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the mother of the Seal named Matthew on Fox and Friends five minutes ago. I sounds like a must see movie. Steve Doocy almost cried during the interview.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 04:58 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it was Tom, but of course, the book should be read also. The movie was a little off in some places but, that is to be expected. Pretty cool that Luttrel had a few cameos....

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 05:03 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
made the eyes sweat...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 05:57 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen the movie yet, but read the book shortly after Glenn Beck had Marcus Luttrell on the program 4 or 5 years ago.

He is a Texan, very patriotic, and one guy I would not want to screw with. He spoke at the NRA convention several years ago…he got arrested the night before he was supposed to speak…here is a video of him telling the story.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=efe_1215467186

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 09:22 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear that they did a decent movie on this story. Read the book years ago and was really impressed by it.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 03:50 PM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the movie the other night. I'm still trying to grasp it. You guys that read the book was the part about there inability to make up there minds to kill the bad guys or not to kill them even in the book?
I saw a movie about a black opp gone wrong. And the loss of a million dollar air craft along with the loss of 12 to 20 good men.
For me the blame fall's like always at the door step of Washington DC.
It was a very good movie but just a movie. I know it took place and I have seen the Doc more than once or twice on the history channel. And true these men or the best we have and deserve out total respect.
I thought to my self how did they fight off the fear to just flat out panic jump up and run away.
And the way they could come up with a plan and try to make each one work.
Once again I have nothing but respect for our fighting men. But I'm hung up on that part of the movie. But I'm chalking that part up to Hollywood spin.

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 04:46 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You guys that read the book was the part about there inability to make up there minds to kill the bad guys or not to kill them even in the book?
Yes it was, but as with any book vs. movie situation, it was discussed much more in depth in the book. Look up a youtube video called 'hero summit marcus luttrell. ML kind of addresses the same question posed by a british interviewer....I liked his response. If some one else can look it up and post a link for me, I would appreciate it.

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 07:02 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of videos of Marcus Luttrel being interviewed. He told Matt Lauer that they took a vote and if he could do it over, he'd rather spend the rest of his life behind bars if his brothers were here with him.

He was on the set during filming and stated the movie was spot on.

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 07:04 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B5m9CMT_1bU
Cayotaytalker
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 08:34 PM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Well thanks for that link nothing beats going to the source.
And I will say I was in the camp of kill them all would have been the right thing to do.
But like the man said that kind of work and those kind of call's are better left to the pros.

--------------------

Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 04:47 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I saw it last night, a truly enlightening movie. To be reminded of the things that happen to these young men just because they feel the need to fight for their country is incredible.

After watching that link there is no doubt who is in charge of that room during that interview. Marcus was!

Never left a theatre full of people that was quieter than last night. I don't think anyone new exactly what to say or do. I hope it wins any and all awards it's nominated for, but I know it's not what or why Marcus got involved with it for.

It seems it may give him some sense of carrying on for his teammates even after their deaths. The very value of a true patriot, to do things not for money, or glory, but because it's the right thing to do.

To loose their life was an everyday possibility, so to speak. After seeing this I really have not had a bad day!!

God Bless them all!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 05:21 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt, Lone Survivor is an Excellent Movie. But We Were Soldiers is as good ah movie as I've seen. I also thought Saving Private Ryan was/is a great flick but fuck Tommie yanker & stupid stevie speilburg (fuckem both!) chicken shit liberal cock suckers....

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2014 04:23 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished the book,'Service,A Navy Seal At War' by Marcus and his ghost writer.Interesting for the most part but excellent in parts and especially the details and people involved in his actual rescue.
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2014 06:27 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading one right now called "horse soldiers", its about the first special forces group to land after 9-11 to fight with the warlords, very interesting book

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2014 07:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Lone Survivor a few weeks ago. I got emotional towards the end.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2014 05:27 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent movie. Marcus was actually in the movie as one of the rescuing SEALs. As close to the book as you can get I guess. Wish I'd seen his interview on Fox and Friends. Steve Doocy, believe it or not, is from here. Actually raised about fifteen miles north of Abilene. His sister is a good friend and I've been delivering his dad's mail since I started with the PO. His dad just died a few weeks ago and he was here for the funeral. The whole family is very down to earth. Nobody said anything about him being in town, so there was the appropriate "no big deal" way of handling it which was nice. Small town put the emphasis on dad rather than the famous son, the way it oughtta be.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2014 05:56 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm reading one right now called "horse soldiers",
Ryan, I read that last year, it is a good book.

--------------------

JP
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2014 10:34 AM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
"I saw a movie about a black opp gone wrong. And the loss of a million dollar air craft along with the loss of 12 to 20 good men.
For me the blame fall's like always at the door step of Washington DC."

Coyotetalker, are you making reference to the operation in 1980? If so I was part of that mission.

Trapper2, although not a part of that operation, long retired by then, I knew a few of the men that went and also help in their early training.

Posts: 150 | From: So AZ | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cayotaytalker
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2014 03:24 PM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
JP, I was talking about Lone Survivor. I might have seen a documentary about what you spoke of but can't say for sure. I watch a lot of history channel but can't recall it all.
I also forgot that in Lone Survivor there's a quick mention of the rules of engagement they would be under.
That team of men did the best they could do!
My comment about it falls at the door step of Washington I hope sounded just like I mint it.
In other words in stead of our government spending some of the money in places and on things that don't always make a lot of sense to a lot of us. Making sure our fighting men have the tools and more than enough support to get the job done.
And By the way thank you for your service to your country.
My dad served in WWII, 3 years in Korea and spent 11 years in Panama.
I'm by no means anti American or any thing like that.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters