The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hunter pleads guilty in friend's death

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hunter pleads guilty in friend's death
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted January 11, 2014 07:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Posted: Jan 11, 2014 11:57 AM PST
Updated: Jan 11, 2014 12:55 PM PST

New York State News
GOSHEN, N.Y. (AP) - A hunter who accidentally shot and killed a friend while they were stalking deer in Orange County has pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide.

Guy Wensley, of Plattekill, entered the plea Friday at a county court in Goshen.

The Times Herald-Record, of Middletown, reports (http://bit.ly/1lMKvpV ) that the 40-year-old shot close friend Timothy Evans in the autumn of 2012.

The two had split up. Evans was wearing camouflage. Wensley saw something moving, thought his friend might be a deer, and fired.

The judge imposed a sentence that won't require Wensley to serve jail time.

Information from: The Times Herald-Record, http://www.th-record.com

Okay, I don't know about you guys, but this just don't cut it, as far as I am concerned. First of all, it's like a "sound shot" and that shit drives me insane. Shooting without identifying your target is some piss poor behavior for a man that calls himself a hunter.

Which comes to the guilty plea and this dummy won't serve any time in jail to think about killing his friend because of gross negligence. I see a miscarriage of justice.

Thoughts?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2014 07:56 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this guy deserves "eye for an eye", but walking away with no jail time or major consequence is obsurd.

Good call LB

[ January 11, 2014, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2014 08:41 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Hard call here. Wish I had Solomon's wisdom.

Though if this guy honestly killed his best friend by accident I can only imagine how his conscious will torment him, because he was a careless idiot.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2014 05:53 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't seem right that he should not do time, He's certainly no hunter just an idiot with a rifle.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2014 06:02 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
very stupid mistake but it's an "accident" and those do happen.........too ALL of us.
so exactally what would jail time too to this guy??
hell, i snuck up on a paper bag last week in a mini blizzard thinking it was a bedded fox. i even shot. i was 100% positive it was a fox. thought i even seen ears on it.
yes, it was a tragic accident but i don't think jail time would solve a damn thing.

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2014 06:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
So when he fired was he on the vitals , or shooting a noise in a bush? judgment is vital you can't call a bullet back. I don't know what jail time would do either maybe he should have to tell his story at a hunters safety course for the rest of his life.

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2014 07:13 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The man shot his friend, He has to live with that the rest of his life. I don't no what jail time would do but if you took all his rights away. Made him send money every month to the friends family for as long as he lives. I think that would be a start.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2014 07:16 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Idea Eddie.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2014 09:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just relate it to an auto accident where a kid is drinking and his friend passenger dies. Manslaughter, goes to jail where he thinks about it for the rest of his life or until parole. Depending on guilt for punishment only works with some people with a conscience.

But, this was total stupidity, not even the same as shooting at a paper bag, he was shooting at nothing, had no idea where his bullet was going. It's like they have no idea how lethal a bullet is.

Besides that, I wonder how the victim's family feel about the guy not paying for his mistake? Most would want to extract their pound of flesh.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I take stupid shit like this situation PERSONAL. It reflects on all hunters as stupid people with a gun. We already have to put up with the image of deer hunters, emptying 20 rounds from their machine-gun at a deer. Hell, I even have the same attitude about the average deer hunter.

edit: for that matter, when does jail time ever "help"? Why do we need jails? Maybe to pay for mistakes?

[ January 12, 2014, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2014 09:18 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just relate it to an auto accident where a kid is drinking and his friend passenger dies. Manslaughter, goes to jail where he thinks about it for the rest of his life or until parole. Depending on guilt for punishment only works with some people with a conscience.

Maybe not an accident where his friend knows he is drinking and voluntarily rides with him, but I get the point.

I dunno

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2014 09:34 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
As a hunter ed instructor here, we get all of the incident reports at the beginning of each year from the year following.

One of the fatalities in '13 was a young man shooting his cousin in the face when turkey hunting.

They were both hunting along a creek at different locations, when one of the young men decided to try and 'walk' a group of turkeys to his cousin. The other young man heard the turkeys, but did not know his cousin was following...he shot at sound from about 15 yards and killed the other young man.

Almost all hunting fatalities have one thing in common...they have violated one of the Big 4 gun safety rules.

I don't think here in Kansas anyone is charged if it is determined it is an accident...at least criminally...civil suits are a different animal.

LB--I agree with you fully. I have long contended that anti's and non-gun folks salivate when something like this happens as another way to prove that somehow we are not competent to handle firearms. We don't need to give them additional fodder to prove their point.

[ January 12, 2014, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2014 09:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why they feel more comfortable with SHARPSHOOTERS to thin deer in Washington DC parks rather than issuing tags to grateful meat hunters. The Media loves the term SHARPSHOOTER, whatever the hell that means? But, they are uneasy letting BUBBA into a park and they feel they have good reason for thinking that way.

No, I am personally offended by this idiot shooting at something wiggling in a fucking bush! I AM NOT okay, with him having to live with it for the rest of his life. That doesn't help me personally, at all.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters