The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » wood splitter not bad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wood splitter not bad
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2014 08:10 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know how many of you chop your own firewood but this guy has a good system though not automated pretty slick. Beats the crap outta my wedge.l Look to be an old engine hoist.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1443312402549717

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2014 12:23 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
That machine could've saved my hearing. A day of running a chain saw then a full day of using a wood splitter gave me a permanent ringing in my ears and made me partially deaf. Of course shooting at least 1000 rounds per week at tournament trap didn't help. Most hearing protection only slows the ear damage down.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 07:47 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Creative setup he has there for sure. I'm going to probably stick with my 22 ton splitter though as I don't see his setup being able to punch through some of the nasty knots and burls in the spruce I encounter. I put up about 26 cords a few years ago and am still trying to burn it all up. Birch is the best we have up here as far as BTU's go. I've burned about 2 cord so far this winter and the stove has been going basically non-stop since November.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 07:59 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
TundraDude;

Are those `soot burning` sticks that you're supposed to toss into the flames once in a while to clean the chimney any good or just a gimmick ??

Thanx.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 08:14 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko,
I've never used those things before, but have heard they can knock down the bigger creosote buildup. A really hot, high velocity fire will knock down the big stuff too, but I don't like to typically get my stack that hot. I sweep my stack every month though, just because I'm paranoid about buildup or a stack fire. My stack is pretty tall (26 feet) and I usually get about 2 cups of buildup swept out every month, which isn't too much.

[ January 02, 2014, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 11:54 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
The trick to keeping a stovepipe clean is to not burn green or wet wood or to burn bark at all. I learned that the hard way.

I used to put up 5 or 6 cords of spruce and hemlock up every fall along with a cord of red or yellow cedar. I worked for the phone company and whenever they took down an old pole lead I'd grab the old poles. That's where I got the cedar. Cedar burns extra hot and fast so I'd burn a load every 5th or 6th load. It kept the creosote under control.

When I lived in SE Alaska I loved a wood fire because it would dry out the house. SE is a wet place most of the time and the cold is usually a damp cold. It was nice to get up on a cold morning when the weather was miserable and busy myself with indoors chores like tying flies or building rods with a warm fire going in the stove all day. Coming in from hunting ducks in a cold driving rain made the house warmed by a wood fire real nice.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
tedo
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 11:59 AM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually just tie the cat to a rope and pull it up thru the stove pipe, works pretty good. Make sure the fire is out first!
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 12:12 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
tedo,
That's funny about the cat pull. I leave my sweep up on the roof and just cram it down the pipe. I take the single wall pipe from the stove to the adapter out and tape on a couple garbage bags to catch debris. I can get it swept and a fire going again in about 20 minutes.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok,
Thanx, guys !!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 01:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New HuntmastersBBS.com, Tedo. Glad to have you on board. Say hi to Sara for us.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tedo
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 01:57 PM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, hope I can make a few positive posts from time to time. Will say hi to Sara and hopefully bye bye to Begich in November.
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 01:58 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Tedo, I can't wait for Baggage to be gone.
Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 10:22 AM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Moe, I just got a say you write very well. Now I wish I had a stove are a fire place.

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters