The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » It's freezing !!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's freezing !!
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2013 01:37 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep it's 32 degrees right now. I think it was two weeks ago since we've been above 30.

Wait the wind brings it to twenty, at least the fog is gone !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
72* down here in paradise.
Doors and windows all open.
Shooting arrows - swim trunks & flip flops.
[Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2013 03:54 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
only -1 here now. windy and snowing.
coldest i've ever seen was -56 with zero wind. was out on Lake of the Woods MN ice fishing. propane tank was outside and it gelled up. scary feeling when your 10 miles away from anywhere.
thank God the truck started (how, i'll never know). had to back up to the tank and blow the exaust pipe on it. wrapped it with a blanket while doing so. took awhile but finally got the propane to liquify and got the furnace going.
we could throw a fish outside and in 5 minutes, pound a nail in wood with it.
coldest day of calling was -37 in eastern MT a few year ago. high of the day was like -25.
man did the coyotes come bombing in that day [Smile]

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2013 04:31 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm celebrating with you Dave. I'm cussing the guy who was supposed to put additive in the fuel for the tractors. I should fire that guy. This heat wave may help though.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2013 08:09 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
We had a 50 degree swing last week, but I like the cold, crisp, clear days, over the mud and slush or fog. To me a foggy 33 degree day feels colder than 15 degrees with no fog and dry cold.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2013 07:41 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
A balmy -1 here in Fairbanks too Bear. Coldest so far in town this winter has been right around -40 ambient. It's been a pretty warm winter for us. Last year at this time, we were soaking in the -30 to -50 temperatures. Supposed to be above zero this weekend. Man I love Global Warming!!!!
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2013 07:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's so cold here, I have to leave the furnace on all night. Brrrr!

Just got back from Yucca Valley.

In a couple hours, we are headed to a cabin at South Lake Tahoe. That's an 8 hr. drive. Hope I don't get lost.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2013 09:07 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Went out and made a stand last night, it was -8. I didn't wear proper face protection and got one heckuva ice-headache. Kind'a sucked because the coyotes didn't cooperate either. Gonna give it another try tomorrow morning, but I will be better prepared. Now as for the coldest I've ever hunted in. When the photo below as taken they reported over the car radio that it was -64 with the windchill. It was unbelievably cold. At the end of the day after suffering through the extreme temperatures, I decided I never want to try in weather colder than that. For that matter, I NEVER want to hunt in cold equal to it either!
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2013 09:27 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Those deer will surely get hard in a hurry at those temps Troy. I hope you had a warm barn to butcher them in. I've dealt with moose in the -20ºF range before. I love how clean (and bug-free) it is dealing with meat in the winter.

The coldest I've been out in was a 12 mile hike into some hot springs north of Fairbanks in January. The ambient outside was -42ºF and the wind was 30mph with gusts up to 45. My buddy had a Kestrel to check wind and the calculations showed that it was close to -100ºF. It was absolutely brutal! Any tiny spot of skin exposed to the wind just felt like a burning sore instantly. My eyes were watering and freezing my lashes together so bad, I ended up putting on my sunglasses. We were on a ridge and had to drop down off the road into a huge valley with our packs and sleds. It took us about an hour to get our gear ready to just start the trip. We'd both run out and do a minute or two worth of work to stack gear and run back into the semi-warm vehicle to let the hands and faces warm back up. After we finally got hiking and sledding down into the valley, the ambient dropped to -47ºF. Fortunately there was zero wind down in the protected valley. My buddy was getting hypothermic and I had to keep him running to keep his feet and hands warm. When we finally got into the hot springs, a guy came out of one of the little cabins and told us we couldn't stay there (he leased the land), which we were unaware of. We were going to just sleep in a tent we brough. Fortunately he let us stay as long as we paid him for a small wall tent with a wood stove. I was happy to pay him and glad that my friend was able to get some heat from that stove to warm up with, he was getting constant, deep shivers and talking mumbo jumbo that made zero senses. We heard wolves howling all around the hot springs that night, but none would come anywhere close. Lesson learned on that trip.....take the snowmachines next time and call ahead to reserve a cabin.

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2013 09:51 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Tundra two were extremely fortunate. Excursions like that can easily turn out fatal. We lose several people every year here to exposure. (Not the kind they do in California.)
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2013 10:42 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
That's for sure Troy, it's not time for amateur hour. I always have my satellite phone ready to call the chopper if need be, but have never had to resort to that call fortunately. I was closely monitoring my buddy and had we been turned back, I would've made a raging bonfire to get him warm while I made a snow cave to spend the night in. I knew we had to keep going on that trip because it was only going to get colder and we had to climb up out of that valley into a windy/exposed area again. He warmed up climbing the hill, but got sweaty and chilled again on the backside descent into the hot springs.

I carry a small Otter box with all the fixings to make a super fire in short order. This box fits into my Parka pockets or hunting pocket on my back, so it's always with me. With a small tarp, metal pot and fire making goodies, you can survive quite a bit of hardships if you know what to do in an emergency. Making a snow cave quickly gets you into a sheltered temperature range of 32ºF to stay in. Of course if you happen to go into the water in those temperatures along a river or near a beaver lodge on a pond, you'd really better be good at fire making with cold hands. Waterproof flares are worth their weight in gold for easy heat with useless hands.

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2013 11:07 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Tundra, funny you mention that about the warm barn and taking care of the deer. Actually when I first tried to gut the deer I insterted the knife and as I drew it out the blood froze instantly rendering the knife useless. So I ran over to the truck and held it up to the heater vent. Then ran back and made another cut. I was doing this back and fourth routine when the landowner happened by. He told us to load up all our deer and head for his quanset hut. He fired up a big ol' heater and we used the bucket on his tractor to hang our deer from. He was just grateful to have someone out there reducing the deer that were destroying his hay stacks. It would have taken forever to field dress those deer if it weren't for his kindness and generousity. After we got all the deer taken care of (I think between we had 6 or 7), he invited us over to his mother's place. She was a kindly little old grey haired lady. When I knocked on the door she said she had cake and milk for us "boys". Keep in mind we had never met these people before. You just have to love rural Montanan's. While I was eating my cake she walked over and asked me to go shoot the deer in her garden. Craiziest thing ever. I snuck around the side of her house, leaned my rifle on her grand children's swing set and killed a couple more deer. I think they gave us 7 depradation tags that year. It was a kill-fest, but fun despite the extreme cold. On a side note. The landowner turned off the heater and opened the quanstet doors while we were eating the cake. By the time we were all done eating and shooting deer in the garden it was like 45 minutes. We went back over the quanset to field dress the new deer and the guts on the floor from the previous deer had already frozen solid. He just scooped up the guts in the tractor's bucket and hauled them off. Worked slick as could be. Was a crazy-cold day though.
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2013 11:52 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
It is tough dealing with the frozen blood on the knives, that's for sure. We don't usually process them out in the super cold, just get the guts out, roll them onto the 12 foot long UHMW sled and ratchet strap them down. Then head for the trailer and home to deal with meat. The predators have to really work a bit more at chomping on those frozen piles in the snow. They make it all vanish though in a hurry.
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2013 12:05 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow............... [Eek!]
I think I know what cold is when it gets down into the teens, but nothing in my experience can even relate to the conditions you guys deal with.
Whole 'nother world. [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2013 09:36 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Troy and Tundra are tough SOB's..

I really enjoyed those stories from both of you. Great stuff !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2013 06:31 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a teenager, I was in Flagstaff when the temperature dropped to about -10. It was cold, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Still, you guys can have that stuff.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2013 06:58 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
jiminaz. but it was a dry-10?? [Wink]
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2013 09:15 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I will bow to you fellows up north like an arab on a prayer rug. The extreme cold ain't my cup of tea. Not saying I won't hunt in the cold, but - (minus) anything will make me hunt for the tv remote instead of a critter.
The pic's BearHunter posted, running a trap line the other day kinda let me know I'm not as dedicated. If it's hot, I will hunt and fish with anyone.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2013 01:23 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
first week I was in neb it got to 15 with a 15 or 20 mile wind, I thought my wife was going to pack up and move back to okla right then

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2013 04:24 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice here this morning. Minus 19 and windy. Wind chills in the minus 50 range. No sweat it's gonna warm up to a balmy minus 8 this afternoon.
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2013 05:01 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Ice storms here. Power was out for 12 hours yesterday. Luckily power was restored just after dark. The temp in the house was dropping quickly.
Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2013 06:03 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
-20 now with light winds. high of -12 today.
Al Gore can kiss my ass!!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2013 08:00 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It don't get quite that cold up near the farm, but close. Negative teens is about the coldest, but is usually dead calm when it drops that low. Amazing how well sounds travels thru that sub-zero air...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2013 08:49 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn!We hit minus 23 and was hoping for 25,started going the other way now.All the way back to minus 20.Crap!
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2013 10:14 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to write up a couple posts with photos of some of my winter hunts, they'll probably be fairly entertaining. I have a dall sheep hunt story as well with some photos that I've been meaning to write up. Dumped 8 inches of snow here yesterday and temps are supposed to get into the -35ºF range this week. Prime time lynx calling if you ask me. [Smile]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters