The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Visual Break From The Mundane

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Visual Break From The Mundane
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2013 07:26 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something to break up the political post's around here. Completed this a couple weeks ago. Haven't posted it a lot of places yet but thought some of you might enjoy it.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
BangPop
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3876

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2013 08:43 PM      Profile for BangPop           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work.
Posts: 28 | From: Gallatin Gateway, Montana | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2013 08:46 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful !!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frank
CAN START A FIRE WITH A BUCK KNIFE AND A ROCK
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2013 09:00 PM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a bull elk runnin after a cow ready to come into heat.

Reminds me of Leonard [Smile]

--------------------
"Truth is no prostitute, that throws herself away upon those who do not desire her; she is rather so coy a beauty that he who sacrifices everything to her cannot even then be sure of her favor".

Posts: 644 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2013 09:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have to chase them, Frank. No brag, just the way it is.

Good hunting. El Bee [Smile]

edit: and Troy, very good. The emotion in the young elk's face is there, and I don't know how you do it?

[ June 13, 2013, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31526 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2013 09:27 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hot damn, that's awesome work!!!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7614 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2013 06:30 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2013 10:27 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Just finished this piece up yesterday. Thinking pretty hard about doing some type of bird of prey next. Probably a Goshawk or maybe a redtail hawk. We'll see.
 -

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2013 11:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Have not seen this much talent since Maplethorpe.

How about a Harpe eagle?

Good hunting. LB (just kidding)

edit: or is it, Harpi?

[ June 14, 2013, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31526 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2013 12:20 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, while Harpy (it's with a "Y", btw)eagles are super cool looking, I doubt I will be drawing one anytime soon. I had to look up the spelling if it makes you feel any better. The goshawk or redtail should appeal to the falconry guys. My oldest son is into falconry and would really like me to create something for him and his falconry buddies to enjoy.
KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2013 12:25 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Extraordinary talent you have, ursus21. Absolutely beautiful art.

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2013 01:43 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool Troy. Approx. how many hours into something like that elk pic.?

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2013 10:34 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
TR, the best I can do is guess because I never get to just sit down and work. There are always tons of interruptions. I'd guess around 35 hours or so.
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever done any Boris Valejo or Frank Frazetta type work?????

(SP?)

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7614 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2013 03:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice!
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2013 05:21 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful again! Franzetta was my absolute favorite. I have always been interested in art, and always loved the fantasy work he did. I also read a lot of comics. Conan was my favorite and that is where I discovered Franzettas artwork. He did the best Conan artwork imo. No comparison.

I have always been specifically interested in pencil and pen drawings, and really love Troys work here.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2013 05:28 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, when I was a teen and into my early 20's I did a lot of fantasy/Frazetta/Boris type of artwork. In fact during junior and senior years in high school I would try to copy Frazetta's art work and then hang it on the inside of my locker door. Would try to do a different one each month. I'm still a huge Frazetta fan and have most of his books. I also like the work of Boris as well as his wife's artwork. Also have a lot of Boris' books. However I'm still of the opinion that Frazetta is the king of that type of art. I no longer try to create that kind of work, but I will always be a fan.
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2013 06:11 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Terry Redlin is a all time favorite...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5110 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2013 09:50 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like Frazeta's work would look really cool in the mono-color you do. I may suck at drawing but I like good art.

You no doubt know about Bev Dolittle's work. It's pretty cool, in a western way. I love that one she did with the Indians on the Pinto Ponies in the aspens behind the cowboys.
Might as well mention Russel & Winchester as western painters, too.

Tim; it looks like your guy had some Thomas Kinkade influence somewhere along the way.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2013 11:03 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know Koko. I do know that he does some great old homestead painting with a lot of wildlife and puts a lot of detail into it..
Wish he would do some with coyotes and red fox in them.

Edit to add: Koko I looked up some of Thomas Kinkade works. Lots of detail but most of his stuff looks like old England or fairy tale land type stuff. He did have two paintings I did like though.. IMO most good artists can do a pretty good job with houses or country side stuff (tree's, bushes and such) But the ones that really get my attention are the ones that can do wildlife to a perfection.
I collect some art like Indian stuff and anything with a natural looking red fox in it which is pretty rare to find as most don't know what they look like in the wild so you see a lot of bad ones..

[ June 15, 2013, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5110 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2013 05:01 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ursus, your drawings are most excellent! That elk scene is really eye poppin', you've got oodles of artistic talent!!!
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters