The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Seeinspots in trble (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Seeinspots in trble
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2013 04:15 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
You recall several years ago when my buddy and calling friend Kent Constable's home was destroyed by an EF1 tornado. As I type this, a half-mile wide tornado is on the ground moving slowly toward Bennington, six miles south of him. On its current track, it should just miss him but score a direct hit on Bennington, pop'n ~1000 people. This is a large, rain wrapped tornado. Been under tornado warning for 40 minutes and the cell is only about moving at10 mph. A large wedge tornado. Pray for them.

You can watch this in real time at this link. Close in just under the St in States and click on a tracker for real time video.

http://www.kwch.com/weather/interactiveradar/

[ May 28, 2013, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2013 04:22 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Update, NWS radar site over 100 miles away is picking up a debris signature indicating either trees or house debris being lifted thousands of feet into the air. Debris signature is about 4 miles square to west of Bennington. On-site storm trackers are indicating no weakening evident. Now moving east at only 5 mph. Vortex remains rain wrapped an not visible to officials on ground. Hook echo is now three miles east of Benninton but tornado itself appeared to spotters to get to I-35 and then turned back to NW.

[ May 28, 2013, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2013 04:32 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Well shit, more cells are now forming to the SW of Bennington which will train through here over the next few hours. These storms are individual cells righ now, but they appear (hopefully) to be joining together which will lessen their power as they feed off one another. At least, that's what "they" say. [Frown] The original tornadic cell will pass ~ 10 miles north of me if it holds together. This cell has re-cycled west of Bennington (rebuilding itself). Saying this might actually be a NEW tornado. Damn!

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2013 05:13 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
This tornado is a real freak. It went away after reversing direction and moving west which is very rare for a tornado to do here. It has now recharged itself and has reformed about 4 miles west of its original location, not moving. The cells that I expect to train toward us are producing "land spout" tornadoes, EF0's that are very short-lived. I'm hoping that those cells will be pulled into the larger mother cell which will possibly trigger its collapse. I'm presuming that Kent is still in shelter. He built a helluva safe room for this when her rebuilt his house. Current reports are one house damaged with all outbuildings destroyed, no injuries.

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2013 06:21 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a bit of rumbling in the distance now. Dodged another. Tomorrow is supposed to be the bad day. Hope not.

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2013 06:43 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Close this episode mout tonight with a couple photos. A friend of mine chasing tonight's tornado took this pic. You know you're in for a ride when the TIV shows up.

-

Here's the tornado from about four miles away, taken by a buddy. This tornado was on the ground for most of forty minutes and never moved more than a mile and a half. Prolly not much left for wheat underneath it.

-

--------------------

brad h
Knows what it's all about
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2013 07:23 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Kent's OK this go around. Haven't heard from him in a long time.

Those things draw a lot of interest but I'm glad the destructive sons-a-bitches are few and far between in this area.

Good luck tomorrow.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2013 08:19 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
brad, there wasn't any damage other than a shit load of rain at his place, so far as I know. He hasn't replied to my txts, but he may be ass deep in busy right now.

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2013 08:52 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Safe room?????
Man, if I had to live under those bad boys it would be in a Quonset Hut buried underground. Wouldn't be anything above ground level 'cept a mailbox, patio deck & archery range.

Hang in there.

HEY!!!!............Here's a thought; CDude & El Bee could go halves on buying McNeil. Just a big dust devil now & then, plus no earthquakes. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2013 10:00 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/05/28/tornado-reported-near-bennington-kansas and thought of you guys. Glad things are good and hope they continue to be. I think if I saw the tiv or Timmers rig roll in to town I would leave.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2013 06:40 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,
Nasty crap for sure...my best friend's son lives SE of Wells, and NE of Bennington. They spent 4 hours in their storm shelter.

Dave Freeman indicated the last time they saw a tornado with that type of footprint, Greensburg happened!

Take care and be safe!
Tim

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2013 08:51 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching the radar pretty close last night myself. The dang thing acted like it wanted to move N.E. which would've taken toward my family's farm, but ended up just sitting there and eventually dieing out. Fricken' wierd one for sure. I'll be watching for more today.
Glad that one last night was over mostly open/non-populated country. Woulda been ugly had it parked over a large population.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2013 10:51 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh, just saw the TIV vehicle Lance mentioned above roll by the bank where I work at lunchtime...not good!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2013 03:56 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
That thing does kinda look like the Grim Reaper. Seen it twice, once on I35 by Salina and the second time, he bropught it to Solomon to have a guy work on it.

Last night's tornado did end up wrecking a couple houses and hitting a feedlot where it killed over a hundred cattle.

More storms bloomin along that stalled frontal boundary. We didn't get any rain last night but it's cow-pissin'-on-a-flat-rock raining right now. Pea-sized hail here about ten minutes ago. 60 mph winds. No tornadoes yet.

Hell, even New Yawk is under a tornado warning right now. Wonder if they're freaking out yet? LOL I suspect they don't keep beer and lawn chairs handy for such times like we do.

--------------------

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2013 08:33 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad y'all dodged another one.

The devistation left behind is unreal. We were in Moore today and got a look. Hope the video works, this is just west of I35 and just north of the Warren theater.
 -

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2013 10:33 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for throwing that up, Tom. They always say one place is leveled and the one next door is untouched. That video says it all. Hard to believe Mother Nature can be such a cruel bitch at times.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2013 05:01 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I never have that experience ,Just cant imagine what that is like. been thru many earthquakes but it seems mild by comparison.
Such violent destruction!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2013 01:43 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul;
Earthquakes can certainly hold their own in the damage department. The thing with tornadoes, though, is the endless warnings & watches that never seem to end. After a while one can tend to get somewhat lackadaisical about the whole affair. Not a good idea.
An earthquake 30 miles away from you might not cause much damage. A tornado cloud 30 miles away, on the other hand, might come visit you.
I don't miss either one.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2013 02:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but tornados come with a warning you don't get with an earthquake.....

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2013 07:52 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
That video shows that the folks in Moore are gaining ground on cleanup. Good to see.

Tornadoes do usually give us the benefit of warning. Of course, if you've lived in the Alley, you pretty much learn how to "feel" when the atmosphere is right for them to form. You plan ahead. Amazing to me that a tornado can cause so much damage and, in more cases than not, few injuries are recorded.

Another thing about tornadoes that causes what can be best described as internal conflict is just how damned beautiful they can be to watch. This is Tuesday night's tornado...

-

On one hand, terrifying to see. On the other, when you're standing there looking at one move across the horizon, maybe the winds are calm where you're at, or maybe they're blowing toward the tornado as inflow. Sometimes you can hear their roar and sometimes, nothing at all. No matter, even though you know they're nothing but a whirling mass of wind - a phenomenon of physics and nature - it's hard to look upon them as anything like just a "thing", but in a surreal sort of way, they become "something" with their own life, their own "presence" and their own personality, no two are ever alike. It's conflicting to watch one like this thinking how awesomely beautiful they are, but also knowing that everything between it and earth is being churned to nothingness and destroyed. For sure, they do make you realize how small and insignificant man really is in the big scheme of things, especially when you're close enough to see how tall they are. They DO go all the way to the sky. This one was rated at an EF4 with winds up to 200 mph.

--------------------

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2013 06:19 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Okla City is taking a beating from a reported 6 tornados on the ground as I type this.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2013 06:23 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and daughter are in OKC, but on the north end of town. Sounds like it's missing them so far. I'm watching pretty closely, but not a damn thing I can do from up here.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2013 06:34 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The Tornado('s) that hit the west side stayed south, near Will Rogers AP, and turned South East towards Moore thru Norman. Turning South towards Noble, Shawnee, towards Asher (South). If you have internet service go to KFOR News OKC and or News9okc.

--------------------
mike

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2013 06:48 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not positive but if they are North of I40, they might be out of the "MOST" dangerous area. Earlier, before I got home I heard El Reno, Tuttle, Mustang, etc took a direct hit from all the smaller ones that mixed together that turned towards the south near I35 & I40 crossing in down town OKC.

--------------------
mike

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2013 07:40 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
According to ch4 (KFOR.com) over 65,000 customers (and counting) are without power in OKC area @ 9:30pm cst. Tornados have lost their power but flooding, hail & rain continue.

--------------------
mike

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters