The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Grill Time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grill Time
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 08:30 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
I see those pics from the south and west and feel sorry for you guys dealing with all that heat,cactus,greenery,etc.
Accordingly since the wife and i are grilling steaks tonight I want to invite you guys to a free steak dinner.BYO shovels and beer.
(pic of grill taken yesterday after about 20 inches and 30 hours of 'blow')
 -

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 11:06 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's about what mine looks like too.

Night before last I told the kids I'd give $10 to whoever could guess the closest what will be the FIRST day this year you can't see ANY SNOW in our front yard. The soonest guess is March 25, but the oldest thinks April 10. I think he's going to win the $10... Except his little sister is kinda funny when it comes to collecting money. I won't be surprised if I come hom on March 24th and see her out there getting all the snow out of our front yard.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 01:44 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, you guys are SOOOOOO lucky that you have a reason to stay indoors. [Razz]
I had to spend part of the day out back in a t-shirt doing yard work. [Frown] If all goes well, next week I'll get the holes dug so I can concrete in the posts for my throwing knife target. [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7585 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 02:32 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay indoors? Perish the thought!

I've been getting out in that crap plenty. Going camping in it again this weekend.

Couple pics from a camping trip last month.

-

-

-

-

That's a minus 15F on the temp readout in the Jeep - that was a couple hours after we got up and it had warmed up nicely by then!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 03:09 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics!Especially like the jug of fire starter.

[ February 12, 2013, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: DiYi ]

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 04:31 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are tougher than me. I prefer sitting on my patio & seeing the snow up on the mountain where it belongs. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7585 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 04:41 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i hope your deck colapses [Big Grin] a good carpenter good make some good coin on that claim. [Smile]
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 07:05 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Know any good carpenters? I don't. [Smile]
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 07:16 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i bet myself 10.00 that would be coming [Big Grin]
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 07:29 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't everyone grill in the snow? Awesome, invite me and I'll bring some fresh moose, salmon, and halibut.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 09:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon on down!!!!

--------------------

Frank
CAN START A FIRE WITH A BUCK KNIFE AND A ROCK
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 09:19 PM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome is right. Beautiful, rugged country. I love it.

What's really nice about these areas is your free....no cops to come around and hassle ya [Smile]

You're probly violating some kind of law though.....maybe the campfire is illegal? Are all the taillights on your Jeep working? How about your registration and insurance? Lemme see your guns!

God-dam-it, I'll find something!

OHHHH, you're an illegal alien? In that case you can go.

[ February 12, 2013, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Frank ]

--------------------
"Truth is no prostitute, that throws herself away upon those who do not desire her; she is rather so coy a beauty that he who sacrifices everything to her cannot even then be sure of her favor".

Posts: 644 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 11:43 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I like snow and as much as we're in need of it and the moisture that comes with it, I haven't missed shoveling all that much. BUT, we are still in need in a bad way. We'll probably get one big dumper in April and be caught back up with what would be concidered "normal" moisture for the year.
I've only had to use a broom to clear the driveway this winter, and that's not good.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 01:18 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Really great pictures! I especially like the one of the horses on the run. That is way cool.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 03:50 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Al. I've got an 8x18 canvas print of the broomtails one hanging on the wall.

- DAA

--------------------

Frank
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 11:01 PM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess while we're showing picture might as well show a few of my own. Maybe Leonard can understand why I ain't been hunting since around the time Danny passed. But that'll change.

And don't tell me I'm ugly...already know that..........

-
This is a Russian YAK-52 I restored. Built like a brick shithouse.
 -
Hennessy Viper SN15, 650 HP NA, no turbos.
 -
 -
 -
 -
This is my daughter when she was 1. She's 6 now.
 -
This was after flying with Russian world aerobatic champion Oleg Federoff.
 -

[ February 14, 2013, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Frank ]

--------------------
"Truth is no prostitute, that throws herself away upon those who do not desire her; she is rather so coy a beauty that he who sacrifices everything to her cannot even then be sure of her favor".

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 11:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, kinda looks like Caliente?

edit: Frank, I had forgotten about the YAK.

Good hunting El Bee

PS did you buy that red car from Granville, by any chance?

[ February 13, 2013, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31485 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frank
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 12:06 AM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Got the Viper from an Ad executive out of Chino Hills. He sold spots on radio, like KFI AM 640.

Notice my name in Russian on the YAK? Got that translation when some Russian shooting related website plagiarized one of my articles (not that I mind).

Here's the link if you wanna see it:

http://www.ada.ru/Guns/ballistic/accuracy/index.htm

[ February 14, 2013, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Frank ]

--------------------

DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 05:23 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yak?Is that a trainer or an actual fighter or?I've got a book somewhere that talks about them.
Trying like heck to think of their near indestructible fighter/dive bomber of WW2.
'Stormavik'?
'Built like a T34'.
Regardless,very neat!

[ February 14, 2013, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: DiYi ]

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 07:07 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice refurb, Frank.

I have read those Russian planes were tough.

[ February 14, 2013, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Frank
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 04:44 PM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what it looked like when I bought it:

-

Took me 2 years to restore.

All the sheet metal is anodized as well as primered with zinc chromate. This stuff was so tough I needed a mixture of paint stripper, gasoline, diesel, MEK and Acetone to remove it from some small pieces.

The way it was built showed that cost wasn't too much of a consideration....typical of state run economies like the Soviet Union.

If it were made here in the states it would be a half million dollar airplane.... The closest western equivalent would be a T-28 Trojan. It was built in 1986 and the electronics were probly 20 years behind where we were in the states at that time, but in other ways they were more advanced.

Overall it's a decent airplane. You can rack it around with all your strength but you couldn't hurt the thing. It was even rated for tumbles (Lomcevaks) and tail slides.

It'll dish out more punishment than I can stand.

After the Soviet Union fell everything went up for sale. You could buy AK-47's, Tanks, Helicopter Gunships, etc. The guy I bought it from went to Russia and found about 2 dozen of them rotting out in some field.

He found some general willing to take a chance and bought them from him. At the time he had a website which described how to do business in Russia...... It showed a picture of a table stacked with money [Smile] A picture is worth a thousand words, I guess.

He imported them to the states. Had them at an airport in Wheeling WV when I found out about them.

[ February 14, 2013, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Frank ]

--------------------

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 05:49 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...what a difference in the before and after shots. Beautiful paint job too.
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Frank
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 08:52 PM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, you can't really tell in the picture but large areas of the paint job had been touched up with a paint brush.

I guess those Russians are like Hillbillies.....give em' a nail and some bailing wire and they can fix anything.

[ February 14, 2013, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Frank ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters