The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Socorro, New Mexico (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Socorro, New Mexico
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 04:09 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be heading out to New Mexico Tech for some training in April. How is the hunting out there? Should I put a lot of effort into this? My classes will run until around 4:30 or 5:00 PM, so myself and another hunter from work thought we might try a couple of night stands.

I am wondering if it will be worth bringing my own rifle, or should we sign out a couple of AR-15's from the local or state police in the area? I am thinking for the amount of hunting we will do that it won't pay to lug our own rifles with us on the plane and all.

Are these coyotes too call shy and we shouldn't even bother? My buddy went last week and he said he saw guys in camo in some of the diners. Probably not a real good sign as far as calling goes..

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 06:57 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of coyotes in N.M. been thru Soccorro on my way to an elk hunt in Ruidoso, mostly hunted coyotes down south with my hunting Partner lots of coyotes and some a-hole ranchers.Did call a couple while elk hunting just for fun did not have a rifle with me as I was there assiting an old friend in his elk adventure.He shot and missed with a 300 Win. mag. lucky coyote.The elk was not so lucky however.Good luck and have fun.
I know zip about night hunting.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 08:10 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Since when can someone check out ARs from the local police?

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1930 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 08:23 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul.

AZ, I am not sure of the nature of your question, but as an LEO I (might) be able to sign out an AR or two. We don't know for sure though, and this is something we will have to look into.

Other than that, my buddies that went to the course last week made some friends, so we may be able to borrow a gun or two. We shall see.

I was considering bring my R-15 machine gun, but with the present climate I don't know if I want to take the chance of the airline losing it. I have a Remington model 700 I could bring, which would be more easily replaced.

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 08:38 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to hunt coyotes there.Hunted there the first time this year and loved the country!I was archery elk hunting(I'd post a pic if I really knew how)but the wife and I have talked of coyote hunting there ever since-even moving there.
I'd bring the 700. [Smile]

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 09:03 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd bring the 700.
Sounds good. [Cool]
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 09:15 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Serious question;
Why not just use your regular carry weapon???
Seems like the practice you would get on live coyotes would be invaluable in the real world.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7607 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 09:26 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko I actually thought about that. The thing is, I don't know if I will ever get back out west for a hunting opportunity, at least in the near future, so I want to make the most of it.

It might come down to that though.

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 09:59 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, I'm with ya. I'd probably leave the R-15 "machine gun" at home.

It would appear prices have went thru the roof, and then availabilty is a huge concern.

Honestly never really cared for or paid much attention to AR's. Kinda sorta' kicking myself now.

Well good luck and enjoy the trip.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 10:30 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave. The model 700 will be what I take if I can't find something out there.
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 11:19 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
49, If you are taking any firearm('s) by air , insure them thru your airline. TSA may be a fed agency but sorry to say they should be guarding outhouse dump lines at the city dump. Insurance is cheap, + your firearms will be walked thru at each and every stop. AND they have to inspect them before release to you ie: you see them before leaving airport.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 12:02 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
PP, how do we go about insuring them? Do we do it the day of the flight or do we make the arrangements prior?
Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 05:22 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry 49, I got a call. Call your airline asap, tell them you wish to insure your firearm(s)& acc's. I have always placed by binos, rifle, and shotgun in an airline approved case. My Beneli 1500.00, my pistol 1,000.00, my rifle&scope 2500.00, binos 1500.00 etc etc. 10k ins was about 100.00 round trip. But at least i know they have to handle it with hands and someones head will roll if it or any part comes up damaged or missing. I can't tell you how safe i feel doing it!!!!!!

--------------------
mike

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 05:32 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like fun Nick, I hope you stumble into a truckload of coyotes!!!! You'll want to go back every year. Good luck to ya !!!

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 06:14 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
PP I don't know which airline we will be flying yet. As soon as I find out I will call them.

JD...thanks.

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 07:01 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Alaska Air, American & Delta is who i have insured with. All were about the same dollar wise when i used them. Main thing is/was your things won't be beat to hell when you get there and back home.

--------------------
mike

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2013 08:15 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
49, i re read your post. I see you have some time to choose an airline. Heck i would take whatever you want to hunt with on your trip. If it's a one time only deal, take your chine gun and your whatever. The insurance option gives ya some room and a margain of comfort. Enjoy your trip.
I use a Pelican case (plastic) that has held up well on several trips, if that is of any help. Also If i can help you, i will try.

--------------------
mike

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2013 03:34 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I have a nice Pelican case. I might take out the foam and use my drag bag inside the hard plastic shell.

My job will be picking the airline, since this is a sponsored trip for training purposes. Ihat's why I don't want to go too crazy, because I will be in the clasroom, or outdoors on a range all day. We are hoping to do some hunting at night, after class.

I will know more about the airline closer to April. We are still hoping to borrow some weapons when we get out there. It would make things a lot easier. I will keep you posted.

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2013 02:22 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have someone to receive it in NM, secure the rifle in a hardcase and then into a cardboard box with no markings to indicate contents. Mail it registered mail to yourself at the destination. It will have to be signed for by someone at the other end, but Registered Mail is the most secure way to send anything, and long guns being sent from you to you can cross statelines without an FFL involved. When my old partner Matt got transferred to Alaska, he dropped four long guns off here. I boxed them up and shipped them to him at his new address. Pulled the bolts and sent them under a different label. All four guns got there - from Abilene, KS to Anchorage, AK - in three days. Cost me (him) $160 total, fully insured. The bolt is sent separately with long guns because, I have been told, if the gun is stolen along the way, they cannot get a new bolt for it without proof of ownership. Hell if I know how true that is but I had several ppl reiterate that fact to me. Got me to thinking... if I had to show proof of ownership on my guns, I'd be screwed. Aside from the fact that they're in my gun safe and they don't trigger an NCIC hit, I got nada.

I know a couple guys who have hunted Alaska a couple times and they routinely mail they're guns ahead to their outfitter now. Have never had a problem with it. My Postmaster helped me box up the ones I sent and he had the regs on the table next to him to make sure everything was legit.

[ January 21, 2013, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 12:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, traveling with firearms, they seem to take inordinately good care of them. They are handled separately from other baggage, I really don't think the TSA people, (whom I dislike because of their fucked up attitude) have anything to do with transport. It's the airline's responsibility. All TSA is involved with is carry ons, so far as I know?

But, make no mistake, checking firearms at the ticket counter is almost a guarantee that they will arrive safely. Just make sure you jump through the correct hoops, aircarrier approved container, proper documentation, "UNLOADED" and serviceable locks on the case. You can even pack cartridges in the case, now. I never bother with removing the bolt. What the hell good is it if you receive your gun at the terminal and the bolt get's lost?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: while separate insurance is probably a good idea, I rely on my homeowners policy. I pay extra for $25,000 of coverage which is in force, regardless of where the loss occurs.

[ January 22, 2013, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31511 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 12:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Flew down to AZ a few times with guns, was'nt a big deal getting them checked in or out again.
The only concern I had was on my last trip instead of going to a seperate room to pick my guns up the case was put out with the rest of the baggage. [Eek!]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5105 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 01:42 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
When I moved to Texas, and back again, I was shocked at the amount of damage both my hard (aluminum) case and my rifles sustained... they certainly didn't receive any "special care" (*and both required sighting in again, at both ends of the trip). [Wink]

And like Tim, I was horrified to find my case sitting along side the baggage carousel were anyone could have walked off with them, when arriving back in Seattle.

Lance,

That's great information, and I'll use it to never ever take a firearm on an airliner again (and perhaps to get one sent here, in the near future).
I really could stand to burn some powder! [Smile]

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 02:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy a replacement bolt most anywhere if its a popular brand rifle ( Rem. custom actions, AR's, ect. ) and you don't need to prove ownership of the action to get one. In most cases though you will have to get the bolt fitted by a gunsmith and headspace checked.. Keep the bolts with the guns when shipping or you could end up sitting in a hotel room waiting for the bolts to arrive while everyone else is out hunting, and then the big question. If it arrives....

Edit to add: If the need should ever arise to where you have to prove ownership of a gun and you don't happen to have a copy of your receipt in your pocket or billfold just get ahold of the gun dealer or gunsmith you bought it from and they can fax a copy to you or where it maybe needed.. They have to keep records...

[ January 22, 2013, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5105 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 02:12 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I just found out the area is surrounded by Indian reservation land, and they told my buddies at last week's class they WILL arrest you if they find you on it.

This is looking bleak, as far as getting any hunting in. The classes are all day long, and won't give us much time to plan anything, especially with the land situation.

Anyways, there is always the Buckhorn in San Antonio. It was mentioned on Food Network.

[ January 22, 2013, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 03:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
49, I'm not a lawyer, (thank God) but I have an opinion about what you were told.

First of all, the fucking indians don't own everything, you can find somewhere to hunt, just about anywhere you happen to be, in NM.

Second, Tribal Police only arrest cops they find trespassing.
(just kidding)

But, it is my opinion, based on decades on reservation land. Tribal police may detain you, and in rare circumstances, they could confiscate a firearm. I have knowledge of two flagrant violators, people I know through Club affiliations. And, both of them got their guns back 30 days later, no fines, no nothing. They were just concerned that those people wouldn't accept a warning that they were violating tribal law so they made sure they would comply.

Third, I do not think they really have jurisdiction over ANYBODY who is not a tribal member? If you break a law, they call in the county sheriff and from detention by the tribal cops, it will be determined if you get cited or arrested, but all actions, (subsequent) will take place off the reservation.

Fourth- I also know a bastard that has done some really dastardly deeds involving cheating on hunt contests who was detained on a certain reservation. And, he was extremely belligerent, I'm told he challenged the officer to a "boxing" match. Turned out he had a warrant for something and was prosecuted and I am pretty sure he was heavily fined and lost his right to firearms, so they confiscated what was seized and rendered them to scrap metal. But, all of this took place off site, which is why, in the events with which I am familiar, I do not think they want anything to do with non tribal members and probably couldn't do much, even if so inclined. This guy was rendered to, and filed on by the State Of Arizona, not X reservation, where the offense occurred.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS but, in the case of L.E. they would probably drive you around in the back of an unheated camper all night while they continued patrol. lol

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31511 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters