The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » So, what does this Cop deserve? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: So, what does this Cop deserve?
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2013 12:58 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you have nothing to hide I don't see the problem?
I love that phrase. [Smile]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2013 01:42 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
After reading the article, I was very happy to learn that this POS was outed by her own. That's the way it should be!!!
I friggin' LOVE seeing that the "good cops" crossed the thin blue line and sent this one packing. If that were more common, I thin the overall relationship between police officers and us civie 'turds' would be much more amicable...

Quick story, related to professional Police conduct. Last year, me & KJ misjudged the long drive back from the Mr. Coyote Contest in SD. I was behind the wheel and trying to make up enough time to catch my flight home out of KC, MO. and was subsequently pulled over by a Nebraska State Trooper out on the middle of no-friggin-where, sand-dune Nebraska...

Trooper had me dead to rights, so I pulled KJ's truck right over, rolled the window down & KJ unloaded his pistola and put it in plain view on the center console.

Officer looked at the piece and asked if any other firearms were inside the vehicle, other than the pistola laying unloaded on the console.
Nope, they were cased up in the bed of the pickup.

Officer then asked the basic "to/from" questions and I explained the truth. We were on a long drive from SD down to KC, MO returning from a shooting contest and misjudged the time to catch my flight outta KC, MO.

Officer went back to the cruiser, wrote my well deserved ticket and returned, offering a reminder to drive safely & within the speed limit of Nebraska.

Man, I was really impressed with the professionalism and situational handling of that officer! I was in the wrong, took my ticket and thanked him for his courtesy.

Then, proceeded to miss my flight anyway, LOL!

Just wanted to share that story, as I've got got all the respect in the world for officers who handle themselves professionally!
But that sorry POS Utah trooper story really stuck a bone in my craw. And I WAS glad to see she got her walking papers for such disgraceful misconduct and abuse of power. IMHO, she should be held personally liable for civil recourse from those who she wronged...

And would sure love to see MORE of the "good cops" weeding out there own, as in the case of this POS Utah chick.

BRAVO!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2013 03:10 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
You would be hard pressed to find a locked beer cooler on Sunday around here anymore. You can get a mixed drink in most "beer bars" now. You can't smoke while drinking it though. Big controversy this summer was whether a community would allow businesses to be open on Sunday. LOL
I'm sure it was a test question back in 7th grade but I would have to google the beehive thing.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2013 04:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, if you were a local, that professionalism might have included a warning, rather than a citation.

That's why I drive the speed limit on I-10 through downtown Phoenix, with my CA plates. The locals are all going 10MPH faster, but, it's s revenue thing and out-of-staters never fight tickets.

My ass still burns over that $180 I paid for the camera fine, and afterwards, ol' Paul told me the locals ignore it, something about being served in person? Whatever, it's a bum rap.

And, they pulled all the cameras out of this town a couple years ago. People hated them. And, you know. Public Relations. Can't have all the citizens flipping off the boys in blue now, can we?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31447 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2013 04:25 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have nothing to hide I don't see the problem?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love that phrase

Yes Dan, but you quoted me out of context. [Wink]
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2013 05:31 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
The beehive stands for 'industrious'. Saw that on 'how the states got their shapes'. I knew that little nugget of knowledge would come in handy some day. Also learned Utah was once much larger, and called Desseret. This was interesting to me because that was the name of the Mormon owned ranches in Florida.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2013 07:00 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually deseret is from the book of mormon and means honeybee, utah was to be called the Deseret Territory until things changed and they Applied for statehood instead. The behive is a mormon thing as well as the state symbol.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2013 07:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty smart, for a person mistaken for Brigham Young his self, not too long ago. I was told you were not going to shave until Dickweed was out of office? What happened?

Good hunting. Lima Bravo

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2013 07:44 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I ceceeded from the union! actually it got down to the middle of my chest and the duck commanders were after me.
In reality
Had to interview for a serious corporate job sure glad I didnt get it! Im the best boss I have ever had.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 07:16 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting back to AR Shaw's question....years ago when I was a much younger buck and was still humping the road, I responded to a domestic dispute when I worked one of the rural areas. The husband answered the door, and we explained why we were there. The guy said that he and his wife had had an argument, but everything was okay now. I said "Yeah sure, but we need to talk to your wife." The guy then tells us that we can't come into his house. The younger guys behind me are now chomping at the bit to mow this guy over and go in to see the wife. Me, being older, and maybe wiser (or more senile) says, "I need to see your wife now, or we are coming in." The guy looks at me, and you can see the wheels turning. After he ponders it for a few moments, he calls his wife to the door. We were able to talk to her and observe her for any possible wounds, bruising or trauma, which there was none. We then took the information we needed for our reports and left.

The younger guys were a little mad at me for not pushing my way into the house. They thought the guy was trying to hide something in there. I said they had to learn the difference from a guy who is just being stubborn from a guy who is trying to hide something. These are things you learn from time and experience. The "sixth sense," if you will.

But if you think about it, if these guys had responded without me, they no doubt would have pushed through the guy, a fight would have been started, and a can of worms would have been opened that didn't need to happen.

Young law enforcement + lack of cooperation sometimes equals bad things happening.

Funny thing (or not), the cops in the town next to me were just sued for this very same type of thing. Some times old age, wisdom (or in my case senility) prevails.

And AR Shaw, this is by no means intended to be a slight to you, so please don't take it that way. You asked a very legitimate question, and you are 100% correct in that you don't have to answer these questions. I just wanted to provide an example for the guys here that sometimes cooperation doesn't hurt, and in fact can help the situation.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 08:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely, and it happened to me, twice. (just kidding)

No really, good story, 49. I can just see myself in that doorway, pondering the situation. (just kidding)

On the other hand, sometimes eager beaver deputy doesn't have another card to play before escalating to Plan B.

Which is why they love the job. Sometimes, cooperation saves the day. And, sometimes you feel like telling them to "get off my lawn". I don't know how I would react if some dickhead wanted to cuff me and stuff me....."I pay your salary, etc." Ah shit, probably meek as a lamb after the big talk and scared to death of the graybar hotel. "You bastards will never take me alive."

There's two kinds of cops, (learned this in the movies) good cop, bad cop. And, sometimes they switch roles, just for laughs. (I'm kidding) One thing is true, they will lie, you can almost guarantee it. Almost as bad as; "I won't come in your mouth" although that's completely hear say.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 06, 2013, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 11:33 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
This is for Shaws consumption, for I run into this all the time, living in Arizona and traveling from west to southeast a lot.On my drive back to Florida couple weeks ago, I encountered two times where I was stopped by Border Patrol, both in Texas.
Like Shaw, I absolutely detest those two stupid questions, "where you going" and "where you coming from". This trip, first guy pulled out in unmarked truck on Hwy 9, just out of Tres Hermanas area...followed me for a spell, then went to pass and as he got even with me, I let off the gas so he would slip past a bit quicker. He didn't like that move so he swung in behind me, then promptly hit the lights.
He was a little man, mexican guy, and had that attitude that comes with it. He sarcastically made mention that I used a "pretty slick trick", using some kind of damned solution to cover my plate numbers from cameras?. he said "it's a trick all the narcos use".
I told him no trick, they are just old and sun bleached. he asked if I had anything Illegal in the truck,and I said I don't think so. he then asked where are you going. With out any sarcastic tone I matter of factly told him, "anywhere I want". He stared at me a bit,letting his mag light linger in my face, then waved me on down the road.
Next guy was at the checkpoint outside of Sierra Blancas, young kid manning the post, and of course asked where I was going, I told him " thats really none of your business".
Again I will mention, becasue it's hard to parse context and inflection of voice thru just the written word on these threads, I use a very calm, matter of fact tone to answer, no cocky or sarcastic voice at all.
So far, none have maced me or tazed me for my answers. I get the tilted head puzzled look, but what the hell else they going to do?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 12:14 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
In the movies you hear. "You have the right to remain silent, anything you say, can and will be used against you, etc...".

Now why on earth would I want to give ammo to someone who may try to use it against me?

Now I forget the numbers but it seems that over 50-75% of crimes couldn't be solved if people didn't confess or shot off their mouths. Maybe 4949 will give us the real numbers.

Above 4949 explained how using his head and experience in the situation, he saved a lot of grief and lawyer fees, not to mention further repercussions down the road for the guy in his own home, who did nothing illegal. The younger guys may have escalated the situation, and the homeowner would have got hurt, arrested, and a criminal record, plus bills out the ass.

Some police can and do lie. The laws says even if he says he has witness's saying you beat up, Steven Segal, Chuck Norris, and that Brock UFC guy, if your innocent, you know you didn't do it.

It makes me laugh when I see people trying to be a smartass, and outsmart a LEO who has been trained to extract info from you, to build a case, and Cover his Ass if he makes an arrest.

But then on the other hand, "If you have nothing to hide" ..... <LAFFIN> but, not trying to quote anyone out of text.

--------------------

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 12:33 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But then on the other hand, "If you have nothing to hide" ..... <LAFFIN> but, not trying to quote anyone out of text.

Lol.. [Cool]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 01:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Vic, Thanks for a trip down memory lane via Tres Hermanas and Sierra Blanca. Years ago, I used to kill a lot of coyotes just hunting from the road on 1111. The biggest bobcat I ever killed was very close to Tres Hermanas, seems like there is/was an old abandoned railroad station close by?

Anyway, to the point. I feel exactly the same way about those stops and I don't let them look in the back, UNLESS I'm in a hurry, because they dick around until you give in and open up. But that's why I keep the back locked so they can't open it themselves. Also, going north towards Caralsbad, NM out of El Paso, way north of the border they have a checkpoint, and that's the question of the day: where are you going and where have you been. Now, I answer that one mater-of-factly, usually. But I don't like to let them look without a warrant. Again, I never have anything to hide; it's the principle, and it has something to do with freedom.

I wonder why they ask those questions? How can it be beneficial to know that I'm from California and I'm going to Texas?

I probably said before, when we were pulled over by tribal police and they separated us. In answer to where are you going, Pat said Gila bend. When the other guy asked me, I said home. (California) Those guys acted like they just got the goods on us because our answers didn't agree. And, they probably weren't smart enough to realize that you have to go through Gila Bend to get to California. Pointless questions. Where am I wrong, 49?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 01:52 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you on the 'freedom' thing Leonard but I view it as a balancing thing. I want them to stop illegals,dopers,etc(a tough task), so if asking a few Q,s is the price, I'll bend a little.
One can tell a lot with just how a person answers a question. I get that and will go along a ways. My 2cents.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Back a few years ago, before TSA ruined air travel but after 911, i was on a flight to Oregon. I was wearing a new pair of hunting boots and maybe looked out of place compared to the other passengers. After the plane took off a guy moved to a vacant seat next to me and struck up a conversation. Asking me why i was flying today etc. Finally he asked me where i was from, i thought for a second and said Okla. He then asked me "what do people in Okla do?" I said in reply "hunt and f##k". Oh really, what do you hunt? (he asked) "Usually something to f##k". He didn't say another word for the rest of the flight. Was he an air marshal or a fag? Maybe both.....
I had checked in 3 guns for my hunt and had insured them for 10k w/ the airline.
Maybe i set off the "looks suspicious" alarm?

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 01:57 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Are they allowed to arrest illegals anymore? I thought Obama nixed all that. [Smile]

--------------------

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 02:28 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Prune Picker that was too funny! [Big Grin] Now that the Colts/Ravens game is over I might relate another story, if I remember.

Wait...Mrs. 49 is home with the food. I will came back later and answer Leonard's question. DiYi has it right, but I will elaborate.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 02:41 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Border Patrol still arrests anybody or not but the area that I've been calling is littered with abandoned day packs and I usually get checked out a couple of times a day. They're starting to recognize my truck and most conservations usually include the phrase "Have you observed any groups of people........." So far, no hit - no foul. They seem like pretty decent guys.

When I say 'littered with abandoned day packs' I don't mean a few here & there. I'm talking hundreds of the things. Piles of 10 - 20 or 30 of them tossed in the brush damn near everywhere there's brush.

Working for Border Patrol must be a lot like the phrase 'Herding Cats' come horribly to life.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 02:48 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Im wrong, but I always assumed the reason for the pointless questions of where you going, where you from etc, was just an act of buying time. Allowing them a few added minutes to observe the vehicle, its contents, you, your eye contact, speech pattern, anything that might warrant them to get twitchy and do the cop stuff they love to do?
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 03:04 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
That's part of it, AZ-Hunter. LE is always sizing up people we deal with. It becomes a matter of safety, more than anything else. Does this guy look like he might try something? How does he react to the questions? Etc..

Getting back to Leonard's case with the tribal police. They were looking for conflicting statements, trying to catch them in a lie. Two guys traveling across state lines, they just might be transporting drugs, etc., especially in that area, which is a corridor. The conflcting statements will give the police the idea of whether or not to pursue more investigative measures for the stop. Since your stories eventually checked out, they probably didn't bother with you anymore.

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 03:04 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When a person gets stopped while driving, why does the officer always ask "where are you going" and "where have you been"?

I do not see the reasoning behind this and how it is pertinent to the present situation.

Will I be in trouble if I refuse to answer or simply use my finger to point in the general direction?

The answer is yes. The cop will get pissed off cause you don't have a nice attitude and will give you a ticket for what ever he stopped you for..
I look at it this way, a cop can pull you over for speeding and you can play nice and kiss his ass and there is a 20% chance he may let you off with just a warning ticket. I don't like cops and the last thing I'll do is kiss ones stupid ass.. I do the finger pointing when asked where I'm headed, then they bring up another question, Have you been drinking???
Some will go so far and say " I smell a slight touch of booze comeing from my breath or inside the vehicle".. So then you have to tell them they are full of shit or ask them "do cops always tell lies" as I have'nt touched a drop of booze for over 10 years..
You can also keep giveing them the silent treatment and they just go nuts cause you won't play along.
One cop went so far as to give me a lecture on my speeding (66 in a 60 zone), I politely rolled the window up..LOL
Cop asked me to roll it back down and I replied and then asked whats the problem. I just said I don't have to listen to any of his shit, so give me the ticket if I have it comeing and let me be on my way...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5061 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 03:54 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Most people tend to forget about the good cops out there. In Calif it use to be that if you were stopped by the CHP (Highway Patrol) you got a ticket. I have never warmed up to that philosophy. But i have done enough traveling to know i don't hate law enforcement or cops because of who they are. If you exceed the speed limit and get stopped, it isn't their fault. There was a video posted a couple of days ago where the driver of the stopped car was cussing the state trooper "and was only going 57 in a 55 zone". He admitted guilt but it was the troopers fault hummmmmmmmm. IF the trooper had given the idiot a beating for what he was saying, i would have stood and cheered.
If i sound like an ass kisser, just change my name to"smooch".

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2013 04:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm just weird but those questions and responses mean something different, to me. If a guy has a bit of attitude, I would get the message; this guy ain't afraid, has not done anything to be worried about and just resents the badge and the authoritative attitude being directed towards him. On the other hand, I would consider super polite attitude to one of two things, he's just naturally an ass kisser or he's sweating the stop, is nervous as hell and thinks that his cooperation is going to allow him to slide by...which has little chance of working, cops being cops. Oops, we were going tone down the cop bashing, weren't we?

I really don't know what the problem is? Some guys know early on, they want to be a fireman or a police officer. Other people, like me, think a job like that would not be an option, I don't know why, but it is an alien concept. I obey laws, I don't need a minder. So, I suppose my attitude is detectable, I'm sorry but I just can't help it.

If they start off treating me as an equal, I can be quite accommodating. If they begin with that COMMAND PRESENCE bullshit, hey peoń, lick my boots; my normally sunny disposition disappears. I know, I know. It's me with the problem. Some of my best friends are policemen. lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters